Author Topic: Leash Use.  (Read 63519 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Leash Use.
« Reply #180 on: August 31, 2015, 08:41:27 AM »
I have a lot of pin-release snaps left over from old helmets (we use them for HANs devices). I might incorporate one of those into my downwinder belt leash as a second release. It's metal, but it's smooth and fairly small. I'll take pictures when I'm done. Not sure the snaps I have are all stainless. If the spring isn't, that would suck.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #181 on: August 31, 2015, 08:46:50 AM »
I think the ideal leash would probably have two release mechanisms, one front, one back, so that however a belt might get pulled around on your torso you'd always be able to reach one.

I had the same thought....how about simply velcro front and rear or better one on each side? Reach down across to your waist from either side and pull. If it gets twisted around you its still right there.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 31, 2015, 08:53:12 AM »
The Wingman looks good. How does it compare to the couple other similar products on the market? I think Jeff Clark developed something like this.

These are design issues and it's about time that someone somewhere started making waist leashes specifically designed for SUP. They'd be money in it, as well as the warm glow of knowing that you'd saved some lives. Surely (maybe with PB's internet marketing know-how?) some enterprising person out there could take this on. If RSPro can capture the market in rail tape and make money out of it, somebody should be able to so the same for SUP leashes.

https://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=351&idcategory=86

I've had rear mounted quick release capability in my ski for years, but I had to fabricate it.  It's attached to the rear of the ski - much safer in surf. 

I revel in my dorky appearance.  I have one of these coming in February.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hydesportswear/the-wingman-the-first-life-jacket-youll-want-to-we

My current PFD is sun bleached white.  I hope this new one is color fast.  Time will tell.  I risked it on kickstarter because it's a great idea.  No need to ditch it if faced with a long swim...  I'll be wearing it on standup too. 

I clear my nose in the general direction of elite paddlers that don't promote safety for the less gifted.  That's what may have  killed Andres.   

Too soon?  Sorry.  My heart goes out to the profound loss for his family and friends.     
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 31, 2015, 09:03:00 AM »
Beasho uses a waist leash with what he calls a "chicken loop"--plastic loops sewn to velcro of the waist leash, which allows quick grab/ditch if need be.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #184 on: August 31, 2015, 09:17:31 AM »
--one thing I dislike about the ACA is that it lobbies for mandatory pfd use--it doesn't support leashes as an alternative to pfds. ACA does have some interesting survey info about paddlers' thoughts about pfd use.

I hear you, Mike.  It gets tricky when they are making a suggestions for everyone (in our case _1.5 Million SUPers).  This article about the SUP death in Tahoe explains part of the why:

http://coastguard.dodlive.mil/2015/01/a-lifejacket-buys-you-time/

Also, if you google the term "dry drowning"...wild stuff like: http://www.nrs.com/safety_tips/dry_drowning.asp

And then there is this double SUP drowning in Germany, which calls back to your (correct) mention of all of the elements of safety.  Sometimes the most important safety device is the plan.

http://paddleathlete.com/2010/high-water-kills-two-top-stand-up-paddle-athletes/

« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 11:01:56 AM by Admin »

Weeble

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 31, 2015, 09:56:47 AM »
So, at this moment, are there any decent waist leashes out on the market?  I've looked around and found two, but they seemed way over complicated.  Are there some leashes out there that some of you are currently using that you'd recommend to start with?
Faster than some, slower than most....
2015 Boga Typhoon 14 x 25.5 Team Edition
2013 Laird Bark Race 14
2012 Fanatic Fly Race 12.6 (the white one)
2015 Fanatic Allwave 9.5/ 2013 Fanatic Allwave 9.10
Ke Nalu Konihi 95 on an Elite 90 Flex
Ke Nalu Molokai on an Xtuf
Maliko Blade that gets interchanged

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #186 on: August 31, 2015, 10:45:58 AM »
On the leash topic, I'm trying to figure out how to leash my stock prone board without it dragging in the water, thinking a waist leash may be the answer, or chopping down a SUP leash. I haven't found a single pic of anyone using one on the web. Anyone? I fall off a lot!
'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 31, 2015, 10:51:28 AM »
This is the Think QR leash we have posted before.  Because we normally wear a waist PFD or full PFD we just use the leash velco loop and attach it around any PFD strap.  No mods necessary.  Is at waist level instead of ankle or calf and has a QR clip easy to get at that always stays in the same place.  Gets the strap out of the way and if tangled can be easily accessed.  There are other leashes with plastic QR clips but they may not be strong enough when you need it - we like SS.  ;)

http://thinkkayak.com/product/765/

If you have any belt or loop attachment -> you can also simply clip directly.  If you are under load like in a river simply add any SS load QR shackle.  Here is pic of it attached to our MacGyvered paddle loop on our Bullet -
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 31, 2015, 11:28:04 AM »
Admin error!  My apologies Mike, I went to quote you and overwrote your post.  Kindly repost.
HEY!!!  I wait three years for a thread where I can finally make what Gary Gilmore said to the firing squad relevant to the discussion, and you delete it???   >:(

feet

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 31, 2015, 11:40:15 AM »
I have the NRS QR waist leash. Santa brought it last Christmas.  So far I've only used it without the QR belt (have only used it on flatwater) but I did play around with the qr belt and it works well enough on dry land with my kids tugging on it. 

The leash itself is nice, and I like fact that the neoprene velco is both comfortable and big enough to fit over my calf below the knee. 

http://www.nrs.com/product/15991/nrs-quick-release-sup-leash?utm_campaign=shop_comp&utm_source=google&utm_medium=buy_now&utm_term=goog_product_15991&gclid=CJCCuf3508cCFUsXHwodJFMBog

I live a few blocks from the Delaware River (in a tidal section, so not as nice as the spot where Washington Crossed) and I've been hesitant to paddle on it because of the leash issue and fear of entanglement.  If I were to paddle on it, it would have this QR leash, plus my type III pfd with a Gerber River Runner Shorty knife, with serrated edge for cutting ropes/polypro straps, etc.

http://www.nrs.com/product/47258.02/gerber-river-shorty-knife

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 31, 2015, 12:04:57 PM »
It was wrong anyway PDX. What Gilmore said was actually "Just Do It". I heard that story at a Portland Ad Federation meeting about 20 years ago. Dan said the source of an inspiration doesn't taint it. I don't think he convinced anyone of that, but Nike's market share increased hugely after the Just Do It" campaigns started. More than double as I recall.

Those leashes look way too complicated. Right now I just use an 8' coiled leash connected to my camelback with the leg strap for my 17' Bullet. The best thing about it is a surprising benefit--you don't have to pay attention to where the leash is when you climb on the board. Hard to describe, but just by letting it pop up over your outside leg it's always in the right position. I'm going to move the leash attachment further forward to eliminate rudder tangling.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 12:08:50 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 31, 2015, 12:11:31 PM »
It was wrong anyway PDX. What Gilmore said was actually "Just Do It". I heard that story at a Portland Ad Federation meeting about 20 years ago. Dan said the source of an inspiration doesn't taint it. I don't think he convinced anyone of that, but Nike's market share increased hugely after the Just Do It" campaigns started. More than double as I recall.

Those leashes look way too complicated. Right now I just use an 8' coiled leash connected to my camelback with the leg strap for my 17' Bullet. The best thing about it is a surprising benefit--you don't have to pay attention to where the leash is when you climb on the board. Hard to describe, but just by letting it pop up over your outside leg it's always in the right position. I'm going to move the leash attachment further forward to eliminate rudder tangling.
I thought he said, "Don't aim at my Reeboks". 

Actually I heard he said, "Let's do it" and Wieden modified it.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 31, 2015, 12:14:01 PM »
--one thing I dislike about the ACA is that it lobbies for mandatory pfd use--it doesn't support leashes as an alternative to pfds. ACA does have some interesting survey info about paddlers' thoughts about pfd use.

I hear you, Mike.  It gets tricky when they are making a suggestions for everyone (in our case _1.5 Million SUPers).  This article about the SUP death in Tahoe explains part of the why:

http://coastguard.dodlive.mil/2015/01/a-lifejacket-buys-you-time/

Also, if you google the term "dry drowning"...wild stuff like: http://www.nrs.com/safety_tips/dry_drowning.asp

And then there is this double SUP drowning in Germany, which calls back to your (correct) mention of all of the elements of safety.  Sometimes the most important safety device is the plan.

http://paddleathlete.com/2010/high-water-kills-two-top-stand-up-paddle-athletes/
Those are pretty wild, especially the last one--experienced paddlers going together with leashes, pfds and even helmets, and both drowning anyway.

The videos and general info the ACA is great.  But last year I sent a few emails back and forth with them on their position on mandatory pfd laws. What was weird to me was they didn't seem to be thinking consistently.  I'm not sure they even realized the SUP requirement is not wearing one, but having one on board.  I pointed out the inconsistency of defending a law that makes someone in compliance for something (strapping a pfd on a board) that their own information warns against doing.  Their own surveys show a lot of standup paddlers don't want the mandatory pfd law.  They also show (sim. to the stats you posted) that many people participating in their surveys about what rules should apply to standup have hardly ever been on a SUP. 

The ACA seems like a powerful group, and might have some positive influence on SUP safety (actually they do just from their videos).  But I also worry about having them lobbying for anything affecting me when it seems like they don't have a lot of understanding of standup, at least as far as laws are concerned.  I also worry that if standup paddlers pushed the ACA to lobby for changes to SUP laws--say to change the law to "wear a leash or a pfd" instead of "carry a pfd", the result might be the ACA would choose to advocate "always wear a pfd". 

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 31, 2015, 01:03:34 PM »
"The two paddlers decided to go for a quick paddle after work on a section of river that was unusually high and were washed downstream into a hydraulic at the dam’s base, trapping and drowning the two men. Both were wearing helmets, life jackets and wearing leashes."

"Both men were very experienced watermen, knew the section of river very well, and had the necessary safety equipment."

A more mundane benefit of a QR leash is that if your board flips and your leash wraps around the fin or your leg after you board -> you simply unclip unwrap and reclip.  The velco loop always stays attached to you.  Have seen times where DW paddlers get going again with the leash wrapped around the fin because it was not noticed -> especially in big wind and waves.  Always check before you get up that you are not tangled in any way.

Since we like to scoot forward and back to trim the board this simple QR solution works with no chance of tripping.  It feels like you do not even have any leash attached when used this way.  Also works great if you need to unclip during races. Waist attached QR has worked perfectly for our use.   :)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #194 on: August 31, 2015, 01:19:28 PM »
The way you escape a hydraulic (if possible) is to remove your pfd and swim down to the deeper "green" water that is flowing downstream, which takes guts. Low head dams look harmless but are deadly. Two inner tubers and a fishermen drowned on a popular creek here in July, the first tuber went over a low head dam and got stuck in the hydraulic, his brother then followed him in an attempt to save him, then a fishermen jumped in to save them both. None expected a little dam to be deadly. I'm a dam engineer and we're constantly pushing for their removal, most no longer serve a function, in this case it was an old Mill.
'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal