Author Topic: Standup Paddle surfing boat trip in Indo Anyone interested in going?  (Read 6876 times)

Lightning Bolt Maui

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
I am looking to put together a crew to go on my surf charter boat in indo In september. I would like to get people who want to do standup paddle surfing as well as prone surfing. If your interested drop me a line. surf@lightningboltexpeditions.com or check us out on our website
http://lightningboltexpeditions.com/

« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 09:30:34 PM by Lightning Bolt Maui »

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Standup Paddle surfing boat trip in Indo Anyone interested in going?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 06:45:55 PM »
September in Indo-sounds awesome! I am jealous.  Is this an annual event?
Aloha,
Chan

Tom English

• Peahi Status
  • Paddle with Aloha SUP
    • View Profile
    • Aloha Stand Up Paddle
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 06:02:31 AM »
When are you going?  How long?  Cost? 
Aloha,
Tom English

Lightning Bolt Maui

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
It used to be a annual event for me but the last 2 season i could not go due to my ugly divorce. So i hope to go this season and get back to a annual event.

The cost is $3000 for 2 weeks on board. That includes all your meals and airport pick up and drop off. You are required to book your own flight. There is a flat fee when on board for crew tip, all you can drink and donation to the surf aid foundation. I went on the boat 6 years ago as a passenger then bought a share in the boat i had such a great time. Best waves on the planet bar none.  The Surfers Journal did a story on the boat in volume #16 called Montaukers in Wallace. 

check us out at
http://lightningboltexpeditions.com/

noworrieshawaii

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 12:10:53 PM »
I did a boat trip in Indo back in the 90's and it was absolutly amazing. Best way to surf and avoid all the crowds... both surfers and people trying to sell you something... :)

How many do you need to fill the boat?

Lightning Bolt Maui

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
The boat takes 10 people. Finding 10 people that want to go on a standup paddle surfing boat trip in Indo is finding to be more difficult then I thought.
    It must be because the sport is still so new.
    I want to do a trip with Standup boards as well as long boards and short boards. I want to go to some of the other island chains that have just as good surf but dont get the other boats and magazine exposure. I have gone through the Telo's and Hinako islands before and the surf was great with no other boats to deal with. So no crowds and no stink eye for doing standup paddle surfing.  I have spent over 8 months surfing on this boat over the last 5 years. I missed last year and hope not to miss this season. Here is a map with Nias and the Hinako islands I have surfed Asu-Bawa- and Lagundry bay Nias and the surf was insane. Surfed next to Gerry Lopez, Derrick Donner, Al Burn, Peter MaCabe, Victor Lopez, They were on the only other boat to surf up in those islands.  I will try to dig up some photos it was several years ago

Lightning Bolt Maui

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 03:01:10 PM »
Here is the photo from Asu in 2001. It was a advertisement for Rainbow sandals The surf was so good and only our boat and Gerry's Boat. It was so cool to share surf with such legends. 

noworrieshawaii

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 03:43:39 PM »
wow... 10 people is not very many. Thats cool. Our boat was only 65' and had that many.

I gotta think most folks realize that Indo waves are a whole different league than Maui waves... Dont know how many could really handle on a SUP... (myself included) Plus hard to imagine traveling with those big *ss boards.  And u gotta bring a few. Thought longboards were a pain.   :)

Still, sounds really cool. Checking on airfares.

surfmaps

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 12:09:53 AM »
Sounds like a great trip. I wonder what it would take to get the 12 ft SUB over there. Will they even take a 12 ft SUB on the plane? Anyone have experience with that?

We have a little trip in the works for next summer in Baja for anyone new to the sport, or just learning. We're working with John Ashley of PaddleSurf.net to put together 4 week-long, all-inclusive surf trips to Baja Sur next June and July, 2008. You just fly into La Paz and we provide all the boards, lodging, lessons, food and transportation.

It's still in the works so check out the site, surfadventures.com, and give your feedback.

-- Mash
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 12:12:01 AM by surfmaps »

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 07:00:55 AM »
that would sound so awesome... sure wish i could go but having just spent a few weeks in hawaii and maui and very little lead time to prep. it would have to be a no go for me this year. i'll keep a look out for some time in the future though (marking my callendar with a link.) would be really interested on how this trip turns out for you.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 07:02:26 AM by shapeshifter »
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

Pabloklaat

• Waikiki Status
  • Live the life you love, Love the life you live!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 06:10:27 PM »
Ah, a trip to Indo would be a dream come true.  Would love to swing it, certainly not this year.  I am prepping for this Paddle around Manhattan on Aug 13thwhere Darrick Doerner, Gerry Lopez and Joel Tudor will paddling with us.   Lots of time taken off already prepping for that.  It's cool that you had a chance to surf with them.   
I was wondering about the SJ article titled Montaukers in Wallace.  Are you from NY?

Lightning Bolt Maui

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2007, 09:57:32 PM »
Yes i am from Montauk Point. I am flying back to Ny Tuesday to go to my brothers wedding next saturday.

I wrote to Darrick and asked if I could paddle with him around NYC. I have a family member and a friend here in Hawaii who have autistic children.  So i thought i would paddle in their name. I have sent heaps of people to the website to donate money to the cause. I shipped my board and paddle back to NY yesterday. I went and paddled about 18 miles today here on Maui getting ready for the event. I look forward to meeting you in person at the event.  Have a great weekend.

Tom English

• Peahi Status
  • Paddle with Aloha SUP
    • View Profile
    • Aloha Stand Up Paddle
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 06:14:54 AM »
I'll be in Maui tomorrow Wed (Aug 22)  thru Monday.  Staying in Wialea.  Lets surf.  Forecast looks OK.
Aloha,
Tom English
cell 760 2132-4133
tomtom-productions@cox.net
Aloha,
Tom English

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2007, 07:38:10 PM »
I'll be in Maui tomorrow Wed (Aug 22)  thru Monday.  Staying in Wialea.  Lets surf.  Forecast looks OK.
Aloha,
Tom English

Are you still on island? South shore forecast looks promising, hope to see you on the water.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 07:43:09 PM by Chan »

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal