Author Topic: automatic vest PFDs  (Read 7951 times)

thorn

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: automatic vest PFDs
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2015, 09:55:24 AM »
Deep water doesn't trigger them, water triggers them. Watch what happens when this guy reaches over to retrieve something that fell out of his kayak:

]

lol, that was funny. that actually does seem like something that would happen to me. poor guy.

Unless unconscious (which is why it's good to always go with a buddy) or trapped underwater because the leash snagged on something (which is a great reason to have a knife), swimming to the surface takes only seconds. If you're lucky, the board is within hand's reach. If not, it's a few seconds to swim to it or pull it closer to you with the leash. Bodies float naturally, even in freshwater, so it's highly unlikely you'll need the pfd, but if you do, it takes less than 10 seconds to pull the tab and inflate it

yeah i pretty much only think i will need it in a case like that (unconscious). on the leash issue I have seen some that have quick releases at the waist, is that something worth investing in? not sure where I would carry a knife that I could access it if I were somehow trapped underwater.

the most practical PFD I've found--other than non-inflatables--is the suspender type, which wraps around your neck and inflates into position. They are narrow strips that run down your chest and have a single buckle. I sewed a belt camelback to mine so it does double duty. I get some rubbing with this arrangement which makes it irritating for distance paddles, but that could be easily overcome with some fiddling. The belt PFDs are painless to wear, but require that you not panic in the water. Having a PFD that inflates in place seems better to me for someone that might not be really comfortable in the water.

yes the suspender type looks like what I think I want. I want to see how it fits with my hydration pack on. I've seen the camelbak that is meant to hook on a pfd but I am trying to keep the costs to a minimum if possible. Our family budget so far has been very generous to my new habit and I don't want to push my limits. lol

It would be best to know what your concerns are. Autoinflation isn't a good idea, if you need something that reliably holds you up if you fall in then a regular Kayak PFD is the way to go.

concerns are - must be lightweight, as I will be out in the hot georgia sun and only falling in if necessary ;) and would prefer something that would not require me to deploy it just because I think the most plausible scenario for me needing one is if I am unable to swim myself due to some misfortune. I'm a strong swimmer and won't be out on the ocean, just a calm inland lake and a pretty small river, which I wouldn't go out on in bad conditions (after heavy rains, etc)

but I am definitely considering all the feedback :)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2015, 11:53:21 AM »
Check out the NRS Ninja PFD as a good low-profile paddling vest. My wife has one and I think it's a good design that won't heat you up much. She wore it paddling in Florida, if that means anything about the heat.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

mr_proper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2015, 12:11:27 PM »
SIC RS 14x23, 2018
SIC RS 14x26, 2018
Lightcorp Signature Race 14x24.75, 2018 (sold)
JP Australia AdventurAir 12x36, 2017
Starboard Allstar 14x24.5, 2017 (sold)
SIC Bullet 14x27.25 TWC, 2015
Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder 14x25, 2016 (sold)
Sprint 14x23, 2015 (sold)
JL Stiletto 14x28, 2014 (sold)

thorn

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2015, 03:46:08 PM »
Hey Thorn, you didn't give your experience level but you did come here to ask advice about an issue that seems to be a very beginner question, so welcome and please take this in the helpful spirit it is intended. As others have said and despite the notion you have about your perceived PFD needs, you really do not want an auto inflate pfd, that is the wrong tool for the job. As mentioned above, the auto inflater PFD you described in your opening post WILL NOT float you face up if you are unconscious. I am absolutely certain that this is the pfd that you really need- a class III inflatable belt like this one- https://www.mtiadventurewear.com/sup/web400900000-fluid-20
There are a few others on the market but this IMHO is the best out there (I have no stake in making or selling these, I only use them)
It is not automatic, you have to deploy the CO2 inflater if you need the floatation. It is extremely comfortable and will not feel "hot" at all. You will literally not even know it's there. Again as mentioned by others, if you really have a medical issue where fainting or heart attack is an issue then what you actually need is to paddle with friends who know your condition and will responsibly look after you, otherwise that is just not a real concern. Good luck!
Bunch of old shit

thorn

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2015, 03:56:15 PM »
Hey Thorn, you didn't give your experience level but you did come here to ask advice about an issue that seems to be a very beginner question, so welcome and please take this in the helpful spirit it is intended.

Yep I'm a beginner. No worries about intentions, thanks for your input :)

thorn

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2015, 04:02:53 PM »
I am absolutely certain that this is the pfd that you really need- a class III inflatable belt like this one- https://www.mtiadventurewear.com/sup/web400900000-fluid-20
There are a few others on the market but this IMHO is the best out there (I have no stake in making or selling these, I only use them)

so what makes this better than say, the Zephyr, which is $30 cheaper, or the Stearns which is $65 cheaper? $65 is a big difference...

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2015, 04:25:05 PM »
I am absolutely certain that this is the pfd that you really need- a class III inflatable belt like this one- https://www.mtiadventurewear.com/sup/web400900000-fluid-20

so what makes this better than say, the Zephyr, which is $30 cheaper, or the Stearns which is $65 cheaper? $65 is a big difference...
The NRS Zephyr is basically the same as the MTI, it's design is a little bit "clunkier" but that's not a big deal. I can't find anything on the Sterns website that is $65 cheaper than the MTI. If you mean the $95 16 gram inflatable belt then yes that is also a legit Class III inflatable like the NRS and MTI.  I think you'd be happy with any of those.
Bunch of old shit

thorn

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2015, 05:35:34 PM »

The NRS Zephyr is basically the same as the MTI, it's design is a little bit "clunkier" but that's not a big deal. I can't find anything on the Sterns website that is $65 cheaper than the MTI. If you mean the $95 16 gram inflatable belt then yes that is also a legit Class III inflatable like the NRS and MTI.  I think you'd be happy with any of those.

http://www.amazon.com/Stearns-Manual-Belt-Pack-Blue/dp/B00MIDW07S/ref=sr_1_31?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1440203671&sr=1-31&keywords=inflatable+pfd&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard