Author Topic: Impact Vests with Floatation  (Read 3878 times)

Oahuwaterwalker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Impact Vests with Floatation
« on: July 30, 2015, 07:44:30 PM »
I know this has been discussed before, but somehow I'm not finding quite the answers I'm looking for.

After catching the rail of my board in the ribs on a windy day last year, breaking some ribs, and missing almost the entire winter I started wearing an impact vest and swear by it. I'm using an older Dakine vest works great for protection, but doesn't give much float, not a big deal most of the time.

What I'm looking for:

Most of my riding is between head high to double overhead+ and the impact vest is fine for this. Occasionally, I'll be out when there are bomb sets 15 to 20 feet on the face. For those days I'm looking for a vest that stays in place, isn't too bulky, and has enough float to pop you up and keep your head above water. I've read about the Gooru and a little on the Patagonia R1.

Has anyone had experience in these kinds of conditions with floatation devices that they would recommend? Also any thoughts on sizing for whatever you suggest?

165lbs
Riding
Jimmy Lewis 4'8 69L Custom
Reedin Superwing and Superwing X
HA925 and HA725
Chopped Flying V tail

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Impact Vests with Floatation
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 04:23:46 PM »
USCG Type 2 & 3 foam float vests are rated at 15.5lbs (Type 2 & 3 are for calm water conditions). ALL impact vests are rated under 10lbs (not technically rated, just measured). Most adult humans (without a wetsuit on) require 7-12lbs just to keep their head above water in calm water conditions. Waves/surf are not "calm water" conditions, so even a Type 2 or 3 rating is not really functional in this environment, however you are getting the most amount of buoyancy for the least amount of bulk, so it's quite an improvement over any impact vest.
I'd look for the lowest profile USCG approved wakeboard vest you can find. Something like the O'Neill Revenge may work - http://us.oneill.com/shop/revenge-uscg-vest/
When fitting these types of vests, you want them SUPER snug when dry because they will stretch out once they get wet. Good luck!
King's Type-S 14' | Soul Firestorm 8'9
ZRE Power Surge ZX4 80sq" | Kialoa Big Eddy
Larry Allison Dolphin Keel

Gramps

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 05:21:52 PM »
I don't SUS yet but I wear a Billabong wakeboarding vest while wake surfing.  I have the Rafe Signature vest and it's easy to get into, has decent flotation (I spent an hour in the Columbia teaching grandkids to get up on a board without getting tired), is warm and has been durable for two seasons.  It might work for you. https://us.billabong.com/shop/mens-wetsuits-wake-vest

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 05:43:38 PM »
I got a gooru after a medium big day at Noriegas humbled me more than a little bit and gave me a whack in the ribs that took my breath away right when I needed it most. I wear it when its DOH or over at Kanaha. It gets you back to the surface a little quicker and protects your ribs and breastbone pretty well. The back to the surface thing is cool, and it's easy to swim in after I relieved the armholes a bit more. It's would be nice if the float extended a little lower so you could get your head down in the water lower, but it works.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 01:05:13 AM »

Noel can get you a Naish vest. Works well and has more flotation than the average impact vest.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 06:47:51 AM »
After the installation of my defib box I needed something to cover it up in case it got hit.

Supdiscobay, PADLSFR, ponobill, and Mrbig rockin' the gooru. Works great for my special needs. Sizes are funny. Cheap at Overton and Amazonia.
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 08:26:53 AM »
I like the no zipper, pullover aspect of the gooru. Heard about them from Beasho, and if there's anyone I trust to do the research and then prove it in the water, it's him.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Gramps

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 03:31:47 PM »
I liked the Gooru but I tweaked my shoulder a couple of times trying to wriggle into or out of it.  The zippered Raph is much easier to put on and off and comes in basic black. ;)

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 06:05:32 PM »
Promotion makes a nice impact vest that may be worth a look. It's actually rated (measured) to 9-10lbs and it's a pull-over design like the Gooru.
http://www.wetsuit.com/New_Buoyancy_and_Impact_Vests.html (not the Kite model, the SUP/Pull-Over below it)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 06:07:19 PM by 2Rivers »
King's Type-S 14' | Soul Firestorm 8'9
ZRE Power Surge ZX4 80sq" | Kialoa Big Eddy
Larry Allison Dolphin Keel

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal