Author Topic: Helmet for really windy days  (Read 3186 times)

viatormundi

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Helmet for really windy days
« on: November 17, 2016, 03:12:42 PM »
Which helmet would you recommend for really windy downwind sessions?

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Helmet for really windy days
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 03:39:47 PM »
I prefer the look and feel of a skate-style helmut with a small visor, like the kite helmut by Bern, Protec and Mystic for example. I like the helmut to be visible if you’re treading water. White works as well as day-glow colors so I use white.

If you’re going to prone paddle you of course want the opposite of a visored helmut, like a Gath. I don’t prone.

Different helmuts fit different heads so you do need to try them on.

Just curious: why do you think you need a helmut for downwinders? They definitely work well as sun protection and you don’t fuse around and lose them like baseball caps. But sunscreen works pretty well.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 05:29:58 PM »
Gath..

viatormundi

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 01:59:09 PM »
Some of my friends had the boards flying over their head at gusty strong winds. Therefore we are thinking about some helmet options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 08:20:06 AM »
Gath...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 09:45:50 AM »
I use a Mystic kitesurf helmet. It actually provides protection whereas the Gath is just a hat, really. I've got two Gaths as well but don't use them after I saw a video about how easily they were cracked open.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 09:56:28 AM »
Every time it really nukes in the Gorge I think "I should be wearing a helmet. My boards have flown past my ears more times than I can count. Thirty pounds of board moving at 30 feet per second meeting a head = dead. Or unconscious and then dead. I come up with my arm across my head, and better yet, stay down until the drama is over, but it only takes one fuck up combined with a little bad luck, and dead.

So yeah, I'll probably adopt one next year in the Gorge--at least for nuking days.

Oddly enough, it's not such a problem on Maui. The wind rarely gets that high, and when it does we have 20-30 foot rolling windswells, not steep, short bumps that let a board go airborne. the delay in reaching the surface is automatic when you faceplant at 20 mph. It's more important to fend your board off on the southside, where the fetch starts on the beach and the period is short.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

dingfix

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 12:00:03 PM »
+1 for Mystic, comfortable to wear and a good place to hang a gopro.  Mostly wearing it on offshore days after having the board fly back at me when the dismount doesn't go right.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 12:10:04 PM »
+1 for Mystic, comfortable to wear and a good place to hang a gopro.  Mostly wearing it on offshore days after having the board fly back at me when the dismount doesn't go right.

Sticking a camera on a helmet is automatic justification and a shield against being labelled a kook. You don't even need to turn it on.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 12:12:44 PM »

Sticking a camera on a helmet is automatic justification and a shield against being labelled a kook. You don't even need to turn it on.
Well I wear my GoPro on my helmet. But I still look like a knob.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2016, 07:12:38 PM »

Well I wear my GoPro on my helmet. But I still look like a knob.

After someone started calling skiers that have Gopros on their helmets "Teletubbies", I cannot get that image out of my head.

ericmichaels

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2016, 09:15:58 AM »
Finally a benefit to my inflatable! No concussions.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

robcasey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Salmon Bay Paddle
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2016, 09:00:21 PM »
I really like (and use) Gath. The Gath Surf Convertible, Gath Hat and Gath Gedi are pretty comfy and suitable for such times. Gath's have removable ears, are somewhat flexible so not too stiff, have great visibility colors, and light and affordable.  I use in ww and back in the day, surf kayaking. 

Try before you buy. Not everyone's heads fit in all helmets. I have helmets for some of my classes but found out the lot we bought last year from another company didn't feel comfortable by most of the students. We're replacing those with Gath for 2017. 

http://www.murrays.com/G-ALL.html
Rob Casey
Salmon Bay Paddle
PSUPA
Seattle

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal