Author Topic: A good fanny pack for downwinding.  (Read 3693 times)

zacksc

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
A good fanny pack for downwinding.
« on: July 27, 2015, 01:32:29 PM »
I wonder if someone can recommend a good fanny pack for downwinding. Somewhat rough conditions, Central California coast and I do fall at least a few times. What works well for that? Is a fanny pack or a small backpack better? I am thinking of something small, just big enough to carry a PLB in a plastic bag and maybe an energy bar or phone.

Boards:  Jimmy Lewis M12'6 ...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 01:54:35 PM by zacksc »

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
Re: A good fanny pack for downwinding.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 03:10:37 PM »
Zacksc. I use an MTI waist type CO2 PFD belt https://www.mtiadventurewear.com/sup/web400900000-fluid-20 and also carry a phone and PLB and an energy bar. When not using a CamelBak hydration vest, I tether my phone which is in a Lifeproof case and then in a flexible clear phone waterproof baggy (see pic 1 below) to the drawstring of my shorts and put the phone in my shorts pocket. For the PLB I also tether that to my shorts draw string and stick it inside the MTI Fluid Belt PFD pack with the uninflated PFD. It's a bit of a squeeze but works. The pack also has a zip on the top and I keep gel or a small energy bar in there.  You just need to be super careful where to pack it in the bag so if you have to deploy quickly the PLB tethered to your shorts does not get in the way. I tether the PLB to me rather than the belt in case I lose the belt.. But I can imagine in a big wipe out (say a freak breaking overhead wave) that you could lose your shorts too... Make sure that draw string is tight ;)

The best water specific fanny packs around with drainage are the ones that are made for kayak rescue ropes (see pic 2 below). If you don't mind the expense, then buy one of these and remove the rope. They also have a quick release system. The zips also are made for sea water and won't jam.. I use this when taking my kids out when it's windy. I joke with my 11 year old that I'll tow him now but when he's 18, it's his turn..

Finally I have this cheap First Aid kit which has belt loops (pic 3). I guess I could use this but no drainage holes and the zip would fail over time.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 03:45:10 PM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 03:35:59 PM »
I'm guessing that OP of this thread is from the US.

In the UK, "fanny" means vagina.

Re-read the OP's initial question and see how it seems from the POV of an English person. Is your fanny pack big enough to get a PLB, your phone, and an energy bar in?

zacksc

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 05:13:56 PM »
Off-Shore: Cool thanks and lot.  Looks like a great rig.  I am going to study that some more and see if I understand. Thanks. -Zack

zacksc

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 05:16:05 PM »
Area 10:  Yes, from the US. Sorry. Sorry what do you call it over there (the pack I mean).

Also, what do you where? I know you do a lot of rough water paddling in pretty cold water I think.

PS. What is your opinion of the Jimmy Lewis M12'6 ?

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 05:52:12 PM »
Love my Camelback Tahoe waist pack..holds PFD, sunblock, a snack or two and 50 oz  hydration pack  has a whistle and a couple bungee straps too.  Supports the back some too so it feels great.  I've paddled many long distances with this pack and it works great.  Even did last years 34 mile CCBC and 50 oz was plenty in between pit stops.

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 06:33:33 PM »
Area 10:  Yes, from the US. Sorry. Sorry what do you call it over there (the pack I mean).

Also, what do you where? I know you do a lot of rough water paddling in pretty cold water I think.

PS. What is your opinion of the Jimmy Lewis M12'6 ?

1. We call it a waist-mounted pack, or if you are old enough to remember the 1980s, you might call it a "bum bag" -which would now cause as much hilarity amongst those born after 1990 as "fanny pack" would amongst the entire population. Language is funny: in England it is not rude to exclaim "bugger me!" to express your surprise at something. But when I used this expression for the first time with my American colleagues the look of horror on their faces was priceless, and one kind soul took me me one side and told me that "bugger" was a pretty rude word to use in any context in the US. Just like the word "fanny" is in the UK... Truly, we are separated by a common language.

2. I mostly wear a Camelbak much like the Tahoe one that Caribsurf uses - although it's an older model so it had a different name. I also use a Camelbak Baja if I'm on a serious downwinder because it can carry more and I can have easier access to my PLB. It's much better balance-wise to have the weight round your waist than up on your back. Cooler too.

3. The M12 is a very nice, convenient, well-made pocket downwinder that is also fun to surf. A 12-6 will never be as fast as a 14, or pick up bumps as well, but they are usefully better to surf. If I was looking for something of that ilk I'd also take a good look at the SIC Bullet 12-6, which some people argue is the most versatile 12-6 there is. You'd want one in SCC construction though, and they are probably more expensive than the JL (at least in Europe).

Hope this helps.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 11:36:26 AM »
Being a Scot.....this might help folks over the pond get the picture re "fanny"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1bsLG85NOdw

zacksc

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile