Author Topic: M2O  (Read 13257 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: M2O
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2015, 11:01:43 AM »
Our OC6 groups recently had some coaching. I missed it, but secondhand, one of the things the coach stressed was getting the blade fully in the water and settled before you pull, and then pull like hell for the first ten inches. He also slowed down the whole crew, said they were flailing and over-cadenced for the amount of power being applied.

Listening to Travis talk about trying to go as slow as he can when he's next to someone made perfect sense in that perspective. This morning our boat was faster than the second boat though our cadence was markedly slower. More power applied at he right time.

Lots to learn from these people. I am but an egg.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2015, 11:47:55 AM »
In the video it sounded like he has plenty of extra horsepower on tap racing over 32 miles and it is more a mental game for him.  That seems to be a big advantage where others may prefer more huge wind and less slog.

Over a distance like that I would use a smaller blade for sure as my shoulders would be on fire with a big blade hammering at race pace for miles on end.  Switching up lengths can also be useful as he notes.

"..... It's not that physically demanding as a paddler ....."

Says it all -> and goes to show how well conditioned the top paddlers are and how unconditioned the average Joe paddler truly is.  Well done and kudos for sure.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

PtBobSup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2015, 12:10:23 PM »
Great video/interview.  Thanks.

Pretty excited to have Travis Grant come to Vancouver to race and do a clinic at the Vancouver SUP Challenge in 2 weeks.

Andy Pon

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2015, 12:24:55 PM »
great interview and congratulations!  Travis winning by 15 minutes is quite strong.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2015, 12:45:14 PM »

"..... It's not that physically demanding as a paddler ....."

Says it all -> and goes to show how well conditioned the top paddlers are and how unconditioned the average Joe paddler truly is.  Well done and kudos for sure.

Eagle, I thought the very same thing about what Travis said - it doesn't sound like the paddling is the most challenging part for him. But, I came to a bit of a different conclusion about what it shows. The confidence that Travis has in his ability to run the race according to his plan is remarkable.

When it comes to paddling along in heat and no wind on a bumpy ocean for more than 5 hours and being able to maintain a fast, steady pace, it's not just about conditioning. These top paddlers have a lot more going for them than the fact that they are super fit. Being extremely well prepared physically, logistically, mentally and even financially, to take on the M2O is pretty much a given. But there are absolutely no guarantees that you will perform well in the race, even with all the preparation.

It's fascinating to me how many of the top paddlers had to drop out due to physical breakdown. Without naming people, these are guys that really trained hard and that have a LOT of talent and experience, including multiple successful finishes in channel crossing races (think top-5 elite finish-level talent).

Travis crushed it in this race and he seemed completely at ease about his paddling beforehand. But, in my thinking, what makes this a horse race is that nothing is a given except that you absolutely have to be 100% prepared to take on this monumental channel and whatever comes your way on race day.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2015, 01:30:48 PM »
Covesurfer, I agree his confidence level pre-race was very high and that was very apparent.  His past 1-2 placings cemented his psychological prowess for that event. 

But I know from sailboat racing that prep and the mental side allow many top racers to podium before they even leave the dock.  Some say that it is around 80% on shore -> and only 20% on water.  The prep and how you feel that day for the conditions really can give you a huge mental boost for sure.

I know for us that odds were on light days we would podium or win most times out -> as we revel in current wind shifts clouds tactics and strategy.  But on big days when weight and speed override much more -> we were not nearly as competitive when out against heavier more powerful lads.

Travis was no doubt physically and mentally fully prepared the night before the race and that helped him immensely.  Doing your own race seems always better than trying to adjust to someone else.
Fast is FUN!   8)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2015, 01:31:54 PM »
Here is nice race recap -

http://www.supracer.com/2015-molokai-2-oahu-photos/

Talked to the racer that paddled against JR and he said that TG is a beast.  He said he doesn't look like he's going fast -> but he is.  He concurred that not being tired physically and more tired mentally is a huge huge advantage for TG for a race like that.  Huge props to the finishers this year - as many did not.
Fast is FUN!   8)

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2015, 07:22:37 PM »
A couple of Vids showing the conditions....

SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2015, 07:42:14 PM »
And 3 person relay vid....

https://youtu.be/Y0p28YUQG10
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2015, 07:37:13 AM »
Great Vid. Really showing the conditions.
So what was the split between the 3 of you? was it equal?
The pace you were pushing, it seems like you should have taken the lion share
of the relay, maybe you would get the W?

in progress...

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2015, 07:56:36 AM »
Great Vid. Really showing the conditions.
So what was the split between the 3 of you? was it equal?
The pace you were pushing, it seems like you should have taken the lion share
of the relay, maybe you would get the W?

The last vid I posted was by "Iron Phil" not myself. It does show the conditions well, and maybe one of the people who've competed in this race can answer you. It's something I want to do (the relay) in the next few years.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2015, 08:24:59 AM »
I spoke to Mark after the race, but he is not a man of many words, unless you're talking gear.
He just said the conditions were brutal and left it at that. Judging from results of past years, I guess
they were counting on catching bumps all the way to Oahu.

I'm planning on doing it as well probably 2017 (either relay or solo), I'll have to experience the conditions on my next visit to Hawaii before I can tell. Been pushing distances like that without wind assistance, but never on big conditions like Hawaii.
in progress...

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2015, 09:41:25 AM »
@ Burchas:
Go to Hawaii, specifically Oahu, and more precisely Makapuu.
From the little coves on the left, head out towards the lighthouse, and paddle offshore towards Molokai for 1 mile.
Then make your way to Diamond Head… probably the best DW on the island… but you may simply want to start with an Hawaii Kai Run first in order to get a feel for the conditions.
Be safe, but the Makapuu Run will let you know if M2O is what you are seeking.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2015, 10:39:17 AM »
I'll definitely keep that in mind. up until now I was doing my winter retreat in Kauai (Kappa, Wailua).
Are winter conditions very different in the places you specified than in the summer?
in progress...

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2015, 01:16:43 PM »
Conditions will be different, but mainly due to surf swells; the north shore gets plenty of waves in the winter, while the south shore is generally pretty flat during the same timeframe.
The Makapuu run is not a run to take lightly (but then, neither is the Molokai Channel).
Doing the Makapuu run in winter has thought me plenty (on a surfski) - but it's also a beautiful place that even boaters will avoid… so lucky you !
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal