Author Topic: Surftech Bark Downwinder 14ft review  (Read 27383 times)

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
Re: Surftech Bark Downwinder 14ft review
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2015, 11:26:20 AM »
So, I got a call from Valhalla Pure in New Denver regarding the demo Bark Downwinder. There is a great sale going on for the remaining Bark boards in stock. I won't mention the prices online but I will just say it would definitely be well worth the time for any Canadians on here interested in the Downwinder to check out. Kelly, the shop owner will consider shipping the boards, and buyer pays shipping, which is a reasonable cost.

http://vpo.ca/t-VPO.StoreLocator.New%20Denver.aspx

Arrgh...I might just have missed a better deal. Ok I won't torture myself.

Pass it on if you can Luc. It is significantly cheaper to go with the sale prices Valhalla is offering in Canada, even after taxes and shipping costs, rather than ship one over from the States.

Agreed that is one of the reason I ordered mine from Canada. First time that something is cheaper in Canada than in USA :-)
One advantage to purchase out of province (BC) with free shipping has been that I saved 7% PST in addition to whatever discount I got.
Just something to remember in your negotiation.
Cheers

« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 12:08:32 PM by Luc Benac »
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2015, 11:35:19 AM »
Have a Surftech contact in Canada.  For anyone interested in this board can get really excellent Downwinder pricing right now including shipping.  Send PM.

A 26" Vapor based on the proven CT and Dominator seems like a winner for 2016.  A blend of these fantastic shapes makes sense.  The new Vapor should be a very versatile board for those with fair balance and need a do it all one board quiver.  If we wanted to stray from our successful Bullet/Dominator combo -> the Vapor would be a viable option for Vancouver waters.  If the plan is to DW in Squamish though -> the pointy surf noses of the SIC and JL are the way to go unless very skilled.  More DW biased -> the Bullet 14V2 or new JL Rail would likely suit many as a one board quiver.

“it was like the Dominator and the Downwinder had an angry fast baby”   ;D

http://www.surftech.com/news/surftech-unveils-its-new-“explore”-collection-sups-and-paddleboards-2016

Edit: direct link above does not highlight all the way so you have to input the old way  :'(

http://distressedmullet.com/2015/08/14/surftech-2016-preview-bark-commander-light-bark-contender-light-and-bark-vapor/
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 11:59:26 AM by Eagle »
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2015, 07:56:35 PM »
Our brand new Bark Downwinder made it safely from Kamloops to Vancouver this afternoon and was very well packed. I did not have a chance to put it on the water yet but strictly from an aesthetic point of view, the board is superb. I have some RailSaver Pro ready to be put on before the first paddle.

Cheers,

Luc
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 08:40:42 PM by Luc Benac »
Blackfish Paddles

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2015, 12:38:19 PM »
The HMS Queen of Howe Sound  ;D been readied for her maiden voyage:
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 12:42:34 PM by Luc Benac »
Blackfish Paddles

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2015, 04:31:12 PM »
Beauty!     The rocker looks pretty continuous,  very nice.   Bet Ya can't wait to paddle it.. Don't forget to get a pic or two - seeing as you've already seen fit to tease us...  ;D
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2015, 04:43:47 PM »
Beauty!     The rocker looks pretty continuous,  very nice.   Bet Ya can't wait to paddle it.. Don't forget to get a pic or two - seeing as you've already seen fit to tease us...  ;D

Yes the rocker line is fairly even giving a very nice "classic" and regular shape.
Won't paddle yet just enjoying my grand-daughter until Tuesday when they go back to Toronto.Cheers,
Luc
Blackfish Paddles

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2015, 08:52:55 PM »
OK we sneaked in a short paddle tonight.
Flat water, light wind, light current. Sorry no pictures...
1) Board is fast. Faster then I am in any case. It would not replace my Allstar as the board of choice for flat water of course but nicer and faster than the Glide.
2) Board is slippery. In my book it does still qualify as a downwind board and I cannot wait to get a chance to take it out with the Aercor in downwind conditions. I could get a few board wakes, and the board is so very nice even on a small bump.
3) Board is stable but because it so slippery I would not consider it a board for beginners.
4) Board is great upwind and that is a plus for upwind/downwind runs like we often do here.
5) At 164 lbs, the board trims just in front the handle. Move a little farther forward toward the logo and it gets too much. Actually, the position I preferred was one foot by the handle and one foot in front, staggered.
Overall super happy with the board, just like I am super happy with my Allstar 14x25.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 09:00:34 PM by Luc Benac »
Blackfish Paddles

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2015, 09:42:56 AM »
The board came out at 28.5 lbs on our scale (no fin, just Makai mount and RSpro installed).
This is by far our lightest board with the Allstar coming at 31.5 lbs so actually at the 10% manufacturing allowance.

Cheers,

Luc
Blackfish Paddles

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2015, 06:05:40 PM »
This is by far our lightest board with the Allstar coming at 31.5 lbs so actually at the 10% manufacturing allowance.

Weighted the Allstar again with more attention and the board is actually at 30 lbs. It is more like .
Blackfish Paddles

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2015, 07:45:18 PM »
Surftech Bark Downwinder - Pro Elite durability questionable

Bummer today.
Took the Bark Downwinder for the second time - brand new board.
I use board bag (nice Riviera bag) and pads FCS and DaKine.
When strapping the board, it looks like the seam of the bag move a little bit and come on top of the rail.

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,28220.0.html

I do not strap very tight but just the same there was a huge dent on the rail. The skin did not break so likely I do not need a repair yet.
It does not bode well for a downwinder board.
I never had a problem with the Allstar in the very same bag.

Somewhat ruined my day...

Blackfish Paddles

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2015, 01:04:03 AM »
I think you have probably just been unlucky, and need to explain this situation to your retailer. My paddle buddies have 5 pro-elite Surftech distance boards between them and they have actually all proved a lot more durable overall than for instance the boards we have had from Starboard. So I suspect that this is a problem with this particular board rather than Surftech's construction in general.

A friend of mine had a SIC board in SCC construction (which is a lot more expensive than the Surftech pro-elite) and broke right through the rail of it when he tightened his roof rack straps. He hadn't tightened the straps that much. But I have three SICs and have never had a problem. Sometimes you just get unlucky with the construction of one particular board - they are all individually hand-made.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2015, 01:52:36 AM »
I'd be pissed too. No way should a board dent inside a bag when being tied to your roof rack on your car. Having said that, our boards get a lot of knocks taking them on and off boats for downwinders and on and off cars and so for me, tough construction is more important than weight. That's the reasons I chose a SIC Bullet 14v1 as opposed to the lighter V2 (with advise from other Zoners).
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 02:04:53 AM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2015, 05:43:03 AM »
I think you have probably just been unlucky, and need to explain this situation to your retailer. My paddle buddies have 5 pro-elite Surftech distance boards between them and they have actually all proved a lot more durable overall than for instance the boards we have had from Starboard. So I suspect that this is a problem with this particular board rather than Surftech's construction in general.

A friend of mine had a SIC board in SCC construction (which is a lot more expensive than the Surftech pro-elite) and broke right through the rail of it when he tightened his roof rack straps. He hadn't tightened the straps that much. But I have three SICs and have never had a problem. Sometimes you just get unlucky with the construction of one particular board - they are all individually hand-made.

I agree A10, there's bound to be a few bad builds for any board, by any brand.  I caught up with Bart deZwart last night on the last portage of the Muskoka River X, a 2 day, 220k event that has its roots in Canadian voyageur canoe tradition.  It follows lakes and rivers that are rugged and rocky, so definitely SUP unfriendly, especially given the need to portage around Rapids etc.  Bart was using a 2016 carbon 25" Allstar, a great choice for the unpredictable paddling conditions, but not what I would consider a  very wise choice durability wise.   Anyways, he had somehow kept it ding free.. Which speaks volumes about the build of his board.  Whether or not all the SB carbon boards will be that tough is another matter..
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2015, 06:58:02 AM »
I'll pile on and say I'll never buy surftech pro elite again. I've had over a dozen delicate carbon boards with no issues but cracked my Bark within 48 hours of getting it, first board to require a pro repair. Must be a huge headache for Joe.
'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2015, 08:39:21 AM »
I'll pile on and say I'll never buy surftech pro elite again. I've had over a dozen delicate carbon boards with no issues but cracked my Bark within 48 hours of getting it, first board to require a pro repair. Must be a huge headache for Joe.

Exchanged emails with Surtech. Very disappointing. They claim that it is from an impact.
1) I know that there was no impact I just loaded the board, strapped it and unloaded open the bag and see the damage....
2) I pointed out to them that you can clearly see the cloth pattern of the seam imprinted on the board. Deeper where the strap was.

I think that I might just follow your advice there.
Blackfish Paddles

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal