Author Topic: Kalama Kamp Hood River  (Read 2057 times)

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Kalama Kamp Hood River
« on: July 15, 2015, 02:12:24 PM »
Has anyone attended one of the one-day camps in Hood River?  As a recently created downwinding addict I plan to be in Hood River for a week anyway and just trying to decide whether to spend the day and the $600.

I will email them as well, but is there good one-on-one instruction?  Is it across the board with regards to level of experience?  I'm no world beater but the thought of waiting around on beginner paddlers sounds like the makings for a long day.

I've pretty much talked myself into doing it but just having some last minute doubts.  I've got a few Maliko's under my belt (thanks Headmount) and plan to be back on Maui next spring for more, but don't get much downwind practice here in San Diego. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Kalama Kamp Hood River
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 03:29:24 PM »
Do it. Dave has the whole paddle training thing down really well and Hood River is a great venue for the Kamp. I've never heard anyone say anything but good comments about any of Dave's training events. He will make you work though. I've paddled along on some of the runs, everyone gets attention and one-on-one. Most of the paddlers seem to have pretty solid experience.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 03:31:08 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 04:41:10 PM »
Thanks Bill!  That's about what I figured but glad to get some confirmation.  Until I can justify the spend for a week on Namotu, I guess it will be Hood River.  Hopefully there will be wind all week.

Are you in town for the Gorge Paddle Challenge?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 04:46:51 PM »
Yes. There's a pretty solid chance of wind, they pick this week because it's historically the most reliable for wind above 20KTS
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

CascadeSup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 05:05:23 PM »
I've done two of the multi-day Kalama Kamps - Hood River and Maui, but not the single day.  They get lots of repeat customers, which is one reason why the Namotu camp sells out so fast.  I had a great time at both, and learned lots.  Dave is a great instructor - he spends a lot of time thinking about paddling, and how to teach it.  His techniques have evolved over time, and I'm are still changing.

I don't know what is planned for for these one day camps, but the camps I went to had multiple instructors:  Dave, Brody Welte and John Denney, so you do get lots of individual attention when you are out on the water.  Dave runs the show, but they each bring something different. We also had special guest appearances by Jamie Mitchell at one, and Kai Lenny at the other.

The weather is always the wild card, 'cause you can't schedule the wind.  But wind or not, you will learn a lot about paddling.

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 06:58:46 PM »
Thanks for the insight Cascade!  Looks like they are advertising the same set of instructors and each day is limited to 10 participants - should make for good instruction time.  I better spend some time getting fit over the next month so I can get the most out of the day.

Interestingly they just mentioned today that there are no more Maui camps due to "permitting restrictions"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal