Author Topic: NSP 9'8" Elements Review  (Read 9847 times)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
NSP 9'8" Elements Review
« on: July 07, 2015, 07:04:42 PM »
So I finally picked up my NSP 9'8" Element Surf. For a low-end board, it's very pretty, as you can see. The concept behind this board was to have an all-around board that was a better surfer than flatwater board. This was to be the board I bring on vacation, where I mostly surf, but often do some distance.

I picked up the board at A-Team Paddleboarding in Rockaway, NY. I was hoping to buy local instead of going mail order. Local here was almost a two hour drive, but rather do that and see the board then have to go through all the problems of drop shipping.

I was originally going to surf the board after i bought it, but I was told the surf was lousy today, so I decided to head home and maybe give the board a shakedown cruise on the Hudson. Frankly, I was glad to get out of the city. It's funny, I grew up in Brooklyn, but driving around any urban area gets me jittery.

I pulled into my usual spot and set the board up as if I would be surfing it. No shoes. No KeNalu paddle — it's a little too long to wear with our shoes. No coiled leash. Left on the thrusters. The conditions looked a little windy, and there was a pretty high tide but what the hell, right?

First thing I noticed was that the board is very stable. It's 31" wide, which makes it really easy to stand on. It paddled fairly quickly, and even though I was going into the wind and against the tide initially, I was getting speed around 3 mph. The curved nose was also interesting in the oncoming chop. When the board went directly into the wind, the nose would slam into the wave, but if I took it on an angle, the curved nose would slice into the wave very nicely. That made the chop paddling a lot more fun.

The board felt a lot more like a flatware board than I expected. It held a straight line well, but turned very easily. I want to get it on a wave soon so I can test this better. Not that I'm super experienced at this, but at least I want to see something slicker than my 11 footer.

The fun began at three miles. I was riding a tide upriver, but I hadn't realized it was a spring tide. When I made that turn on the map from heading northwest to southeast, I had the spring tide and something between 10–15 mph wind in my face. Holy crap! At times the wind and current were so strong I WAS NOT MOVING. This has never happened to me before. Usually I can make some sort of progress against the elements, but now, nothing. I'm not blaming the board here. Actually it behaved itself pretty well. I was finally able to tack against the wind (using that carve!) and made some progress. I was going so slowly a jet ski came up to me. I waved him off and continued my creeping upwind. And it was creeping. There were dudes working on the train tracks right near me who were were doing that “getting' ready to quit walk” faster than me.

So I can say that this board is, for its size, a pretty good flatwater board. It's definitely a great puddle-paddler, and it's got plenty of volume. Tomorrow I'll put it on the rack and take some pictures. There are already a few paddle strikes on the sides, so I'm going to get some rail savers too. Next week, I'll get the thing into the surf.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: NSP 9'8" Elements Review
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 07:42:13 PM »
Nice looking board. It looks a lot like the Starboard Element....also 9-8 that we have, fun shape. You'll have fun in the waves on that. What's the volume on it. The SB element is 30" and looks about as thick.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 07:28:32 AM »
Stoney, the website says it's 167 liters, which seems about right. I had a Starboard Go 165 Windsurfer back in the day, and this feels about the same size.

I put the board on the rack for better pictures. You get a good sense of the rocker here, and how this the nose is compared to an all-around board.

What I like about this board is that it's a good low-end surfer for a guy like me. I don't surf very often, but when I do I'd like something where I can improve my skills. This seems about the trick.

The NSP leashes have improved a little. They used to have only one swivel, now there are two. The leash attachment is still a little cheap. It doesn't have that extra tab that folds over the longer velcro straps. Still, I don't know how much difference that would make at my level.

I think I got a free leash out of the dealer. When I bought the board I inquired about a leash and he was surprised that there was none, so he gave me one off the rack. When I was checking the website later, I think this model doesn't come with one.

dingfix

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 01:12:09 PM »
Hi, I'm using the 9'8 cocomat version for surfing, I think it's the same shape.

The board is exactly what I wanted, good shape, good price and incredibly light.

It surfs really well, I've replaced the centre fin with a 6" and that further loosened up the board.  It's very stable, especially in chop. Nose rides well.  Step onto the tail and it really turns.  Does everything I want of a surf sup.

With the light weight and Y handle, long walks at low tide are no big deal. Good choice.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 08:06:46 PM »
Hey ding, what kind of maneuvers are you able to do with your 9'8"? I'm basically an advanced beginner on the waves. You got any pictures of your board?

I was going to get the CocoMat, but my wife (ahem) kind of balked at the price. All arguments about how tough the school year had been and how I very much deserved something nice just didn't stick. On the other hand, I think the green color on the Element is gorgeous.

dingfix

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 11:36:34 PM »
Hi, I've sent you a pm, links to a couple of videos that might help...

supthecreek

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 05:25:41 AM »
Nice writeup Icky!
Looks like you will be logging more miles to the surf in the near future.

The Elements looks nice, great color and clean shape, it should be a good board.
You may find you like flat-water in tighter places with a surf SUP... I always love exploring estuaries and shallows on a small board because of the great maneuverability.

For surf, you might consider shortening your leash string....
the leash attachment, at the board end of a leash, is called a "rail saver" because a string alone can cut through the rail of a board in a wipeout.
You want the rail saver to be the only part of the leash to touch the rail around the tail.

And you board is extremely stable for 31" because it's 32" inches wide.... sorry, I just had to say that  ;)

Enjoy your new board!

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 05:58:24 AM »
Dangnabbit, flibbity-floo! You are completely right, Creek, about the width. I feel completely idiotic to have missed that. I did know that bout the “rail-saver” although I avoided the term because I didn't want to sound nerdy, although that as probably dumb too considering that this crowd will spend over 1000 posts talking about one specific type of paddle.

I'll take a look at the string and shorten it. I hadn't realized why that railsaver term was used, and now I know. See, even nerds can learn! (Actually, I was always more a geek. My social skills were probably too good to be a true nerd.)

Templar

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 09:04:23 AM »
 Hi Ichabod.

I'm evaluating purchasing this board (2019 model). I believe the shape is similar to yours but size 10'' and a more pointy nose.

https://www.nspsurfboards.com/product/elements-allrounder/

Any feedback you can give me about your experience using it in the surf would be much apreciated. Thanks a lot.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2019, 09:14:43 AM »
It's funny, I just responded to your other post. I like NSP. Their boards are solid. I would have kept that board except the paint was very flakey and kept coming off. (I kind of regret that.) Besides that, it surfed great! I'm not very experienced on the waves, but that board practically surfed itself. It was floaty enough for distance too.

I think the 10' would be a very good first all-around board. You might never get rid of it.

Templar

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 09:25:09 AM »
Hi Ichabod!

Yes, I noticed that also after asking you on this thread. Looks like we were in sync somehow  :D ;D

Thanks a lot for the feedback Ichabod. I'm still to see the board live and there is very few reviews on it on the internet, but the ones I see, no one had something wrong to say about it. The problem with the paint, looks like it's common. If i go with this board, I hope that meanwhile they sorted that problem already.

Regards

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2019, 10:06:47 AM »
The good thing is that pant is easily fixable. I didn't have the skills then that I have now, or I might have fixed it myself.

Scallop

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2019, 12:51:41 PM »
Templar, I haven't had any paint flaking issues with the current Elements layup unless you smack it against something or land it on the hard stuff.

Hard paddle strikes on the rails haven't cracked the paint finish off and I have whacked them hard beyond the rail tape. I have cracked the rail paint from couple of instances described above.

I always quantify my comments on the Elements construction with a price point perspective. Hell I paid $700 new plus tax in the local shop for my 10'11" so it's hard to complain. It's still going strong and it is used by everyone in the house so it has been used and sometimes abused and used a lot.

The 10'11" was right on the advertised weight when I got it also. Same board you are looking at in 10' so similar but different.

My son is the owner now as we are doing alot more paddling together. I liked it so much I received my Cocolax replacement version of the same board this morning and got lucky enough to get in a mushy/shifty 2 hour surf session. Reliable as always, catches everything, stable as a table.

IS Congrats on the new ride!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 01:29:05 PM by Scallop »
Sunova Steeze 9'6"
NSP Coco Flax Allrounder 10'11"
NSP Elements Allrounder 10'11"
Surftech 10'6"

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2019, 03:52:29 PM »
Thanks Scallop. The Bic 9'2" really is a replacement for that NSP. I want to have something small to keep around, something that can do what I want.

Templar, food luck with your search. Remember that there is no perfect board for all conditions, but get a board and some time on the water and you'll learn a lot!

Templar

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2019, 01:56:37 AM »
Thanks a lot guys. I think today I will manage to see these boards live and hopefully make a decision  ;D

Scalop
Glad that problems with paint chiping have gone. The cocoflax finishing looks beatifull ,on pictures at least.

Ichabod
What products do you use to paint your boards?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal