Author Topic: got some questions...  (Read 6186 times)

asc7873

• Waikiki Status
  • San Diego
    • View Profile
got some questions...
« on: September 14, 2007, 07:41:26 AM »
Hey, I'm new to this board and excited to have found it as it seams like a great resource.  Anyways I've been surfing longboards for 14 years and recently started SUP and love it.  So I have a 12'6" thats great for point to point but a bit big for me in the surf.  I've tried the JL 11'7" and figured that out pretty quick.  So whats the next board I should get?  I'm 5'8" 175 pounds.  I want something for swamis and cardiff reef and everything in between...

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: got some questions...
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 07:51:35 AM »
Welcome to the board!

I would highly suggest Blane's production 9'2.  It is easier to use than the 11'7 JL that you tried, and is a world apart in performance, carry-ability and...well...fun from other production models.  We have had first time females up to 130 on this board, and one month guys that are in the 185-190 range.  It is a great stepping stone to smaller boards.

I hope that is helpful,
Rand
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 08:00:44 AM by Rand »

Blane Chambers

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 08:41:41 AM »
Welcome to the board!

I would highly suggest Blane's production 9'2.  It is easier to use than the 11'7 JL that you tried, and is a world apart in performance, carry-ability and...well...fun from other production models.  We have had first time females up to 130 on this board, and one month guys that are in the 185-190 range.  It is a great stepping stone to smaller boards.

I hope that is helpful,
Rand

Thanks for the props Rand...    That 9'-2" is a pretty fun little board....    I wish I could speed up time because I have 4 more molded models coming out.    I didn't hold back at all this time on the designs....    Its game on as far as the design side goes...       Also, shops in San Diego will have a variety of our glassed models soon....     Anyway, waves are here so gotta go out and test some new boards....
Aloha,
Blane

www.paddlesurfhawaii.com

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 09:53:43 AM »

I wish I could speed up time because I have 4 more molded models coming out.    I didn't hold back at all this time on the designs....    Its game on as far as the design side goes...

I can hear the sound of cash rustling out of many coast dweller's wallets....

Big Island Mike

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 12:10:02 PM »
ASC7873     If you can handle the JL11,7 you can handle just about anything. That is the most tippy production board out there (bar the Munoz which is not a SUB)

asc7873

• Waikiki Status
  • San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 03:43:39 PM »
thanks for the feedback....anythoughts on a 10fter or 10.5??  I don't want to get to small....

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 03:58:24 PM »
thanks for the feedback....anythoughts on a 10fter or 10.5??  I don't want to get to small....

If you're honest with your ability, then 10 footer. The only reason I threw that comment in there is because I have first hand experience with people over estimating their skills.

My friend has the 11'7 JL and now some of us have the 10' JL. Anyone who can ride that 11'7 can adjust to the JL 10 quickly. The 10 is slightly more challanging.

I'm 200 lbs. My wife owns the JL 10'. I could not ride it at all, until I finally got a glassy day and then I was stoked to stay upright just long enough to catch a few waves with it. It is a very thrilling board to surf compared to the 11'7.

I witnessed a total newbie the same weight as you take my wifes JL 10' for demo ride and he did fine. It was glassy. I was shocked. Most can't handle it. So it really does come down to evaluating your own ability fairly.

Can't compare to anything from Blane. Impossible to get on the east coast. The JL 10 is available, reasonable priced, and very fun.

HaleiwaBill

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 07:12:04 PM »
Aloha asc7873, always glad to meet another stoked SUP surfer. I am still pretty new to SUP but in a few months I am amazed how much I have progressed. Being honest (with ourselves at least….LOL) is key to choosing your next board. Here is my (limited) experience.

I am your height but weigh quite a bit more. I do have a solid surf background and my balance is very good. I started off on a friends (Big Island Mike) 16’ race board and then rode a 12’ Munoz for a few months. The Munoz, which was not designed for SUP, was a real challenge; however it was a great “training” board and really helped me improve.

With those two boards under my belt I then recently bought a 10’4” by 28” wide from Blane. That too was a challenge the first couple sessions, but now I really love it. Basically I wanted to buy something that would be challenging enough that I had to “grow in to”, but not TOO far ahead of my ability and weight that I would not enjoy it. Thankfully the 10’4” was perfect and I can see riding this board for the winter.

BTW-so far all my sessions have been in flat water. I wanted to make sure I was building a solid foundation before surfing any waves. I have been practicing quick turns, surf stance, riding and paddling over small swells and sometimes challenging myself in heavy head winds. Not only for the core work out, but to make sure I am truly prepared for the waves.

Anyway,  I just wanted to share my newbie experience. After 40 plus years of surfing NONE of the offshoot/hybrid ocean sports ever caught my interest. But SUP has me stoked beyond belief! Glad to see I aint da only one! Take care and keep us posted on your progress.

boots

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 11:22:53 PM »

I didn't hold back at all this time on the designs....    Its game on as far as the design side goes...       Anyway, waves are here so gotta go out and test some new boards....
Aloha,
Blane

I like the way this sounds... Any popouts thinner and narrower than the 9-2 for us lil fellers ?
Give us a hint on the measurements pwetty pweeez  ;D
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 11:24:24 PM by boots »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 05:25:01 PM »
..........I then recently bought a 10’4” by 28” wide from Blane.

Bill,

I was stoked to read this at 5 AM this morning as I was about to head out the door for a drive up the coast to pick up my new 10' x 28 JL. You are my hero. I have followed your reviews and have been one step behind you with each new board  ;D. You moving to a similar size board as mine gives further reassurance I'm taking the right steps.

I poached the wife's JL 10 last weekend while she was in Connecticut. I fell in love with her board and just had to get one for myself.

I almost went for the 10'6 C4, but availability is zip on the east coast. Fate put me on the JL 10 and it turned out to be awesome. Saved money and skipped a step.  ;)

supguam

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2007, 04:43:59 AM »
Hey Blaine got any pics of your 9'2" whats new with your designs are your boards getting shorter?.Iam currently using a windsurfing board for 3 weeks now and finally figured how to ride it.the board is  from the company Fanatic and the board is called Shark its around 9ft x 31 very stable and  using it in small 2 -3 ft surf and it works ok but dont get the good glide and turns  like a true SUP.but for now i have to ride this board until i get a real SUP  from the dealer here:)Iam 155lbs

rocadura

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2007, 01:25:55 PM »
hey.  anybody xxl here to tell me? 
6,3   buddyguard  200 lbs. 
can I really ride a Blane's production 9'2
at the moment  I own a 12 feet.  but wanna  step-up to something to rip harder....
gracias

HaleiwaBill

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2007, 05:07:24 PM »
..........I then recently bought a 10’4” by 28” wide from Blane.

Bill,

I was stoked to read this at 5 AM this morning as I was about to head out the door for a drive up the coast to pick up my new 10' x 28 JL. You are my hero. I have followed your reviews and have been one step behind you with each new board  ;D. You moving to a similar size board as mine gives further reassurance I'm taking the right steps.

I poached the wife's JL 10 last weekend while she was in Connecticut. I fell in love with her board and just had to get one for myself.

I almost went for the 10'6 C4, but availability is zip on the east coast. Fate put me on the JL 10 and it turned out to be awesome. Saved money and skipped a step.  ;)

Well thanks DW, and congrats on your new JL! As a progressing newbie, the intent of my posts is simply to share my stoke and experiences (not advice) along the way. If someone benefits?........ all da better!

That is what so cool about this forum. We all learn from each other and (hopefully) minimize our mistakes (especially critical in SUB purchases as they are certainly not inexpensive) and maximize our enjoyment. Of course nothing beats practice, practice, practice, but the tips I have received from members here has been invaluable. Now if I could just surf as well in reality as I do in my MIND, I would be set!......lol

So, did you ride your new board yet? I look forward to hearing more of your progress with a shorter SUB.

I too was concerned I was “skipping a step” when I went to a short, narrow and high performance board. But I was stoked and amazed at how quickly I progressed and adapted each flat water session.
Then yesterday I rode my first REAL waves and had an absolute BLAST! I still have a lot of work/practice to do in learning to catch waves. However, once up and surfing the board absolutely rocked and I felt right at home.

WindJunkie

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2007, 03:01:49 PM »
rocadura, I'm 5'10" 210 no surf background.  I've been paddling since january but haven't paddled much over the last six months since I joined a canoe team.  I progressed from a 12' laird to a 10'6" C4.  Going to the C4 was really frustrating the first two sessions but got it down by the third.  I do miss that, I've caught 4 waves and still dry feeling.

Bill, I'm amazed that you've been able to endure flat water paddling for several months.  I could not resist the temptation for more than two or three sessions.

HaleiwaBill

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2007, 06:32:42 PM »
Bill, I'm amazed that you've been able to endure flat water paddling for several months.  I could not resist the temptation for more than two or three sessions.

Well the fact that the North Shore is completely flat during the summer months, when I first started, certainly made it easier for me to resist. Town is crowded, a long drive and my surf time is somewhat limited as we have a hectic schedule at times (my wife is a Psych/ Anth major at UH, we home school our son and I own a small business). So with all that going my surf time varies each week. Sometimes I don’t hit the water for a couple weeks and other times I get 3-4 days a week.

I am glad I took the time to build a good foundation though. Flat water and even strong head winds are no problem now. I finally got my first two SUP surf sessions last Friday and Saturday. Friday was the main day as I surfed for a couple hours. Sat was pretty flat again, plus I was exhausted from a long work week and surfing the day before. So, I went for a casual evening glass off session at Puaena. I practiced trying to catch the very TINY and barley breaking waves as my wife (Brooke) cheered when I succeeded and laughed her ass off at my many failed attempts.

I am at that point where learning to CATCH waves is my biggest challenge. Especially when the offshore winds are strong and Puaena gets all these little cross chops. I have moments when I time it perfectly and it seems oh so easy. But then others when I am falling all over the place!.....LOL………….but again, once ON the wave I am 100% comfortable with surfing on my new SUB .

I had a couple waves on Friday that I rode from the outside peak, through several reforms and all the way to the beach. I was blown away at perfectly that board handled in real waves, as turns and cutbacks were effortless. The know-how and craftsmanship Blane puts into these boards is remarkable.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal