Author Topic: Shape3Dx tutorial and discussion  (Read 38405 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Shape3Dx tutorial and discussion
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2015, 03:22:20 PM »
There is no option for image import (at least in the free version) without first creating or opening some existing board file. Once you do open a file, here are some of the basics.

Also, you might want to edit (rotate , flip, lighten-up, etc.) the picture prior to importing it.

Disclaimer: "The board imported was just for an example and intended for educational purposes only. No boards were copied or harmed during this edit."
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 03:31:56 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2015, 03:54:50 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to do this TallDude. I compiled your screenshots into a PDF for easier reading (I like to browse this sort of thing on my iPad). For anyone that's interested, you can download the PDF here:  http://bit.ly/1McDVEN

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2015, 04:15:49 PM »
Thanks Kayadogg..... I dig the cover sheet :^)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2015, 07:23:02 PM »
I've been messing around more. Fun that you can try different graphics and such, I hadn't played with that.....a bit garish with the sunrise pic but I think it would be kind of fun to have a custom 14'er made for the CCBC. 14' x 29" x 5.5", flat from nose to tail, 6" nose rocker, 3" tail, soft rails up front, boxed in the middle, sharp in the tail, 230 L  volume. Took all of 5-10 minutes to do.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 07:34:06 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2015, 06:32:24 AM »
I'm using the free version on a Mac and the only way it seems that I can load an image is to open a .s3dx file first, and when I do, the image becomes superimposed on top of the .s3dx file I had to open. How do you create a new board design from an image?

Cool no worries load image is for using a picture load goast is for opening anouther file on top of the one you are working on so you can compare changes or sections ect. You can use the space bar to turn the image or gost on or off

The normal way I do it is to open a new board and scale its length to what you want and the right click to bring up the tab and scroll down to load image and then when it asks you if yo want to scale it to length hit yes, all very simple and the same as above.

I would love to do some video tutorials but I wouldn't know how to start trying to record it all of the screen and process it so in the mean time td keep up the good work!

« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 06:35:01 AM by supuk »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2015, 09:50:16 AM »
Snagit does video screen caps. I created some Autocad and Sketchup training sessions with it long ago...works well but you need to be well prepared and scripted. This is old, at the time Snagit was limited to 1024 x 768 and youtube degraded the quality but you get the idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6dm9SNDVEQ
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 09:56:46 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2015, 10:42:53 AM »
I'm not sure I follow you but I would love to see a video of you doing that. If you have a Mac you can do the screen recording with Quicktime which came with your Mac and then upload it to a Youtube channel. Considering there are videos about everything on Youtube, I'm really surprised there are no Shape 3DX tutorials on Youtube.

I'm using the free version on a Mac and the only way it seems that I can load an image is to open a .s3dx file first, and when I do, the image becomes superimposed on top of the .s3dx file I had to open. How do you create a new board design from an image?

Cool no worries load image is for using a picture load goast is for opening anouther file on top of the one you are working on so you can compare changes or sections ect. You can use the space bar to turn the image or gost on or off

The normal way I do it is to open a new board and scale its length to what you want and the right click to bring up the tab and scroll down to load image and then when it asks you if yo want to scale it to length hit yes, all very simple and the same as above.

I would love to do some video tutorials but I wouldn't know how to start trying to record it all of the screen and process it so in the mean time td keep up the good work!
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2015, 11:48:55 AM »
unfortunately I don't have my shape 3d on my mac as it is only a small scree, yes I found the same there are very few vids on how to use shape 3d. At some point I will try to but its not going to be a while as im super busy at the moment. What td has done so far is great and correct.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2015, 09:07:54 AM »
Ok, here's my cue.

Charlie, hit me up and we'll skype and I'll get you all set up to screen record and post video tutorials. Any of you other guys too. If you are on a Mac, and want to make instructional PDF's, Clarify is the ,out amazing thing you'll see. Write and screenshot and mark up the shots right in the app and then export. (I haven't found a PC app like it but I'll look a little.) cheap and awesome.

Skitch is the best for screenshots and marking them up, easy, drag and drop.

I may be a newb at shaping, but technical documentation and training is my jam.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2015, 01:16:55 PM »
Great, I'm really looking forward to this. Thank you!

TallDude already said that in order to open an image in the free version of Shape 3DX that you have to open an existing .s3dx file first, so my question is...  After opening an existing .s3dx file and then importing an image of a board, is there anyway to remove everything from the original .s3dx file so you can start new with the image you imported?

Ok, here's my cue.

Charlie, hit me up and we'll skype and I'll get you all set up to screen record and post video tutorials. Any of you other guys too. If you are on a Mac, and want to make instructional PDF's, Clarify is the ,out amazing thing you'll see. Write and screenshot and mark up the shots right in the app and then export. (I haven't found a PC app like it but I'll look a little.) cheap and awesome.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2015, 08:35:55 PM »
Magenta, dig in there and you'll see. In the end, any shape that you start with is really just a few points so just make a file with no real shape, just like you'd start with and then drop the image over that.

Think of it like a blank, you have to start with some piece of foam or else you're not shaping. Just make a silly board and modify it. It's all just numbers so you can edit anything.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2015, 02:33:37 PM »
Got it! Thanks, and duh, why didn't I think of that?? ???

Magenta, dig in there and you'll see. In the end, any shape that you start with is really just a few points so just make a file with no real shape, just like you'd start with and then drop the image over that.

Think of it like a blank, you have to start with some piece of foam or else you're not shaping. Just make a silly board and modify it. It's all just numbers so you can edit anything.

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2015, 03:36:09 PM »
Ok, here's my cue.

cowboy, thanks for the recommendations. I started using Skitch after seeing this and it's awesome. I do a ton of screenshots and have gotten so used to saving them then annotating in Photoshop. This feels like cheating. I dig it. I need to spend some time with Clarify but that will be in a couple weeks.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2015, 05:28:36 PM »
I love Evernote but didn't know about Skitch until now. Thanks! It would be nice to be able to add a Skitch icon to my Firefox menu bar so we can do faster screen captures instead of having to open the program separately. It would also be good if we could drag images on to the Skitch desktop instead of having to import button. I know, picky, picky! The pixelate feature is pretty cool.

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2015, 01:10:17 PM »
WOW! Thanks for that effort! I have had a tab open on my computer for 3 weeks now with the Shape3d lite download page ready to install. I've been afraid to download because, well because I am absolutely useless with computers and technology in general. After looking at this I now know that this is WAY beyond me. You people are amazing. I'm just gonna keep buying production boards. :)
Bunch of old shit

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal