Author Topic: 10' 7" Wave Lake  (Read 7876 times)

peterwSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 10' 7" Wave Lake
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2015, 04:38:02 AM »
Looks like a nice job.  Here's a thought for future reference though.  If you have a layer of 6 under the d-cell, and a layer of 4 outside of that, try next time using 4 inside it and 6 on the outer skin.  The overall strength of the board will be good either way, but you should have more ding resistance.  When building windsurfers this way it is common to use 4 oz under and then a 4 and 6 on top.

Also, if you are using a hotwire, use the offcut from wiring the bottom as a cradle or rocker table to hold the rocker properly when vacuum bagging.  You can even have a big enough bag to put the offcut into the bag too, to pull uniformly onto the curved block.   When wrapping the foam on top and around the rails, if you are worried about the overlap not being clean when on the rocker table put a 1/2" piece of foam on the rocker table, cut slightly smaller than your board, and that way the rail stays elevated off the table.

Peter

Mataco

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 02:50:25 PM »
Finally, done. I took it on a shake down cruise before delivery. It was what I would have expected. Very stable, paddled smooth but slow and rode small waves very predictably. I think it will do for the intended purpose.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2015, 07:55:40 PM »
Great looking board man. I'm fascinated by the wrap and bag method. I need to find someone to show me how to bag. Anyone got any good DVDs or videos I could but? All the amateur online stuff is really incomplete.

Weight doesn't matte, until it does. But for that board style you are right. Could you weigh it for us? I'm with Pono, I wanna see what the d-cell adds to it.

Bottom line, really cool build man. Great job.

Mataco

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2015, 02:17:50 PM »
Opps!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 02:20:12 PM by Mataco »

Mataco

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2015, 02:39:27 PM »
PeterSupr - I think I wrote 6 oz under but it turns out it was 4 oz.

surfcowboy - The bathroom scale says it weighs 28 lbs, with leash fins and some beach sand still stuck to it. Is that a lot?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal