Author Topic: Advice on paddling the Willamette, Columbia and Cowltz rivers?  (Read 1875 times)

cyclocross

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Hi all,

I'm thinking of planning a multi-day paddling trip. My plan is to take Amtrak down to Portland and paddle down the Willamette River taking the left fork around Sauvie Island, onto the Columbia River and finally up the Cowlitz River to Kelso where I can catch the Amtrak back home to Seattle. This maps out to 55 miles and I'm thinking I could do it in 4-5 days. There appears to be plenty of parks along the way to camp at (Burlington Bottoms, Coon Island, Sand Island, Sandy Island and Prescott Beach) Of course how things look on a map can be deceptive and I've never spent anytime paddling in this neck of the woods. I know Portland receives shipping traffic so I'm assuming this stretch of the Columbia is free of rapids and I'd be going with the current. Any idea how bad headwinds are along this stretch? Any other considerations I should think about? Best time of year to try this?

CascadeSup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on paddling the Willamette, Columbia and Cowltz rivers?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 12:42:31 PM »
I can get very windy in that stretch of the Columbia (good kiteboarding and windsurfing).  You would want to do it when the weather is cool in Portland so there is not much pressure differential between Astoria and Portland.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on paddling the Willamette, Columbia and Cowltz rivers?
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 07:48:20 PM »
If you're planning on 4-5 days then it's a piece of cake. Yes, there are rest areas and some campgrounds. If you're on a river you can be kind of casual about that. the enforcement of any kind of dusk rule deals with parked cars mostly.

The Willamette river is tidal up to Willamette falls, so the current in both the Willamette and Columbia will be affected by the tide. Winds can be brisk, Jones Beach is a famous windsurfing spot. Also infamous for raucous parties and naked people. Fisherman, drunks in wake boats, ATVs motorcycles, and mayhem. But its a big place and you can find a quiet corner. Wind is usually light in the mornings and picks up in the afternoon.

You could actually do 55 miles in a day, though it would be grim. Two days is plenty. Five days you could pretty much not paddle.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal