Author Topic: Overton's 11' for $530  (Read 5649 times)

LINYSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Overton's 11' for $530
« on: May 21, 2015, 08:04:57 PM »
Gander Mountain has an Overton's 11' SUP on sale for $530.  It is advertised in their weekly flyer.  It was in my cart at the sale price but during checkout it went up to $799.  I chatted with customer service and they credited me the difference.   I guess the $530 is an in store price.  The online items says it comes with a free paddle & free shipping.  I got free shipping, I hope it shows up with a paddle.

It appears to be a rebranded Aquaglide 11' Pilot (same as the Impulse except it has an IXPE bottom).  I couldn't find any reviews on it.  I took the chance and bought it as my 1st SUP.  I figured this is a good cheap board for me to start on.  I am 5' 8" 180 lbs. 

Here is the construction details:
11' L x 32" W x 4.75" T
32.00 lbs.
210 L
EPS/ Epoxy with IXPE bottom skin

I was also considering a Jimmy Styks Beaver (@ Costo for $699 w/ 11' 2" board, CF paddle, bag & leash).  After tax the Overton's was $217 cheaper, but the difference with the Jimmy Styks is a CF paddle vs alum, bag & leash)

I hope I made the right decision...

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Re: Overton's 11' for $530
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 05:32:01 AM »
L-I, Sorta can't miss ..it gets you on the water. (better than a $2k carbon for #1)  If you like the sport, you'll probably have another board soon. Find out how you want to use it/your abilities. Get around some people where you can trade boards - try stuff.   

...but, there is a reason why some brands/shapes are better thought of than another. 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 06:31:51 AM »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

LINYSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 05:34:34 AM »
Deliver was attempted yesterday.  I rejected it because the board was damaged in two spots.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 06:47:23 AM »
LinnySUP,

I doubt it is "ReBranded" Aqua glide since those are designed by Amundson. I'd bet it is a COPIED Aquaglide
Best not to promote this ... Remember those WaveRod boards...didn't turn out well for anyone

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

LINYSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 12:31:33 PM »
I doubt Overton's is copying Aquaglide's design.  Overton's marketing graphics is identical to the Aqualglide's except the board graphics are photoshopped on the Overton's page.

Here are the pages:
http://www.amundsonsup.com/product/aquaglide-pilot-110%E2%80%B3/
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Overtons-11-Stand-Up-Paddleboard&i=845680
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Overtons-11-Stand-Up-Paddleboard&i=845680

Overton's owns Gander Mountain.  I don't think they are in the business of copying someone's elses intellectual property.  Especially when they carry Amundson and Aqualglide paddle boards.  Overton's does not carry the Aquaglude Pilot board.  They do carry the Aqualglide Impulse boards.  The Impluse boards are the sale as the Pilot except they have an glass/epoxy bottom vs the IXPE.  I bet as part of the agreement with Amundson, Overton will carry the Pilot board w/ Overton's branding.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 12:43:57 PM by LINYSUP »

LINYSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 09:00:21 AM »
Here's an update.  I took delivery of the replacement board and it and a 1" slice in the bottom.  I ended up getting just over $100 to keep it and repair it rather than swap it out again.  My overall cost was $440 for the board with an Aquaglide Focus (alum adjustable) paddle.  Not too much of an investment for my 1st board.  I am sure that I will want to upgrade in the future.

The board is a re-branded Aquaglide Pilot.  The box was shipped from North Sports http://www.northsports.com/ to Overtons.

I just did the repair the other night and hope to get out on it this weekend.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal