Author Topic: A board more stable than SIC Bullet V2 for bigger guy?  (Read 28043 times)

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
Re: A board more stable than SIC Bullet V2 for bigger guy?
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2015, 08:23:28 PM »
Hi,

Update:  I did a short downwind run on the focus bluefin, I'm still shocked that I managed to stay on a board that narrow, ultimately it's a little to tippy for me in rough waters.

So I ended up buying a Blue Planet Bluerush Bump rider 14x30.  The light weight, stability and rail shape are what sold me.  I did a downwind run a couple days ago and had a blast, really stable, catches bumps, and surfs really well.  It surfs so well I'm stoked to try it in bigger conditions.  Here's a short video of the run:
https://www.facebook.com/clay.schmitz/videos/vb.1564381389/10203746722339589/

Nice, glad to hear you ended up with a Bump Rider, good choice!
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2015, 11:51:49 AM »
[threaddrift] tell us more about the Bluefin. I like the looks of that board. Like how does it compare to a BulletV2?

I was a while on a stable 28" wide (M14) and now over a year on 27" Rogue Rage. I think I'm ready for 26" soon. I tried Jav 2014 14' x26  from buddies and like it.

Well I tried both boards in similar downwind conditions and I was a bit more stable on the Bluefin.  Both boards are to tippy for me so I was mostly struggling to stay on the board and unable to enjoy riding bumps.  I like the handle and rail shape of the bullet v2 better.  Upwind and crosswind the Bluefin nose seemed to get pushed around by bumps, while the Bullet penetrated resurfaced and held it's course.  If had to choose I would pick the Bullet v2 for downwind and surfing, and the Bluefin for flatwater/race.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2015, 11:53:03 AM »
Hi,

Update:  I did a short downwind run on the focus bluefin, I'm still shocked that I managed to stay on a board that narrow, ultimately it's a little to tippy for me in rough waters.

So I ended up buying a Blue Planet Bluerush Bump rider 14x30.  The light weight, stability and rail shape are what sold me.  I did a downwind run a couple days ago and had a blast, really stable, catches bumps, and surfs really well.  It surfs so well I'm stoked to try it in bigger conditions.  Here's a short video of the run:
https://www.facebook.com/clay.schmitz/videos/vb.1564381389/10203746722339589/

Nice, glad to hear you ended up with a Bump Rider, good choice!

Thanks!  I'm enjoying the board a lot.  :)

jimmyboy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2015, 11:55:25 AM »
Hi Clay, thanks for your thread as I'm in the midst of a similar decision process.  Did you do any runs on the 14X28 bumprider?  I want more stability than the bullet 14 also, but unsure about going all the way to the 30 wide....

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2015, 12:23:37 PM »
What about the new Surftech Bark Downwinder? 14'x28".

At your size I'd be thinking about an unlimited board, really, though. You've probably got the power and weight to really benefit from one. Full-size boards for full-size people.

jimmyboy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2015, 12:56:34 PM »
hear that Area 10...it's another reason I wish I lived in Hawaii! (I see several bullet 17s for like $1500 on cl!)  I've also really liked using rudders when I've had the chance.   I haven't seen that Bark yet. 

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2015, 04:08:09 PM »
Hi Clay, thanks for your thread as I'm in the midst of a similar decision process.  Did you do any runs on the 14X28 bumprider?  I want more stability than the bullet 14 also, but unsure about going all the way to the 30 wide....

Hi,
Steve at bluerush had a used bamboo bump rider at 14x28, so I have purchased this but I have yet to ride it.  Hoping to try it out next week when I get back in town.  I bought it for other smaller folks that paddle with me.  I'll report back after I give it a go.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2015, 09:56:01 PM »

Hi,
Steve at bluerush had a used bamboo bump rider at 14x28, so I have purchased this but I have yet to ride it.  Hoping to try it out next week when I get back in town.  I bought it for other smaller folks that paddle with me.  I'll report back after I give it a go.

Hey,

I went out for a downbreeze (15+mph) run on the 14x28 bumprider today, having paddled it a few times in various conditions over the past couple weeks it's noticeably faster than the 14x30 and also noticeably more tippy.  It feels more stable than the bullet V2 to me.  Stable enough that I feel comfortable enough on it in most conditions, the exception being long runs in rough water where I suspect I would get to tired balancing.  In today's downbreeze run it was noticeably easier to get into bumps and faster in all directions.  Where I struggled was in going down the line or across the wave, once on a bump I was expending more energy staying on the board.  It's quicker in all directions and more opportunity for turning, lifting the nose, and connecting bumps, all of which required more foot work, bracing, and paddle steering on my part and was a great workout.  To sum up less work to get into bumps but more work to stay on them.  For wind under 20 days I suspect the 14x28 will be my choice and for over 20 the 14x30.

I hope this helps.

mr_proper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2015, 02:36:12 AM »

feel the same difference when switching from the F16 to my SIC Bullet 14v1-TWC which at 36lbs is more than 6lbs heavier than the F14 GC (which is advertised at 29.8lbs).

I have my 14' Bullet TWC V1 finally weighed: 13,25 kg or 29.21 lbs including fin. I am perfectly satisfied.
SIC RS 14x23, 2018
SIC RS 14x26, 2018
Lightcorp Signature Race 14x24.75, 2018 (sold)
JP Australia AdventurAir 12x36, 2017
Starboard Allstar 14x24.5, 2017 (sold)
SIC Bullet 14x27.25 TWC, 2015
Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder 14x25, 2016 (sold)
Sprint 14x23, 2015 (sold)
JL Stiletto 14x28, 2014 (sold)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2015, 05:26:07 PM »
Yes some SIC boards do come in much lighter than specs.  One 14V1 in TWC was just a touch heavier than a 14V2 in SCC.  The Bullet 17.4 in DCC that we have our eye on is lighter than other F16s in SCC.

So it seems a luck of the draw of sorts -> and can be over the +/- variance listed.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal