Author Topic: A board more stable than SIC Bullet V2 for bigger guy?  (Read 28116 times)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: A board more stable than SIC Bullet V2 for bigger guy?
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2015, 11:10:40 AM »
If you plan to surf - then try the JL M-14 with a loose surf fin.  Very nice ride on a big feeling 28" board that will plane much easier with a small fin.  M-14 has much more volume and stability compared to the 14V2.  Only use the big Weedless tracker fin for stability.  See if your dealer can get one of those under your feet.  ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2015, 11:50:35 AM »
Hell, surfing a 17.5 bullet with a rudder is a blast. Boyum and I routinely terrorize the lineup when the waves are waist high. You can catch them WAAAAY outside and by the time you reach the lineup you're at mach 2, standing on the rudder pulley. Not a lot of control back there, but major league fun... for us. Not so much fun for the folks trying to surf baby waves.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2015, 04:00:19 PM »
If you plan to surf - then try the JL M-14 with a loose surf fin.  Very nice ride on a big feeling 28" board that will plane much easier with a small fin.  M-14 has much more volume and stability compared to the 14V2.  Only use the big Weedless tracker fin for stability.  See if your dealer can get one of those under your feet.  ;)

My main purpose for this board is DW in small sloppy conditions, if it surfs well that's a bonus.  ;D

How does the JL M-14 compare to the Bullet 14v2 for catching tiny messy bumps, both powering up and maintaining glide?

I have his 10 foot Black and Blue machine and love it.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2015, 04:41:35 PM »
Funny you should ask - was just going through my vid.  :)  With the M-14 you actually want to go out in slop and chop for a quick out and back.

You do need to work hard like HIIE output to catch the little guys and stand way forward just until the tip pearls - but you can get some very nice little glides.  The 14V2 is easier when the sea is a bit more groomed than it was today.  In 10 knots of very weak breeze the M-14 was the perfect ride in the slop.  More breeze, the M-14 just gets better and better.

This was from a couple of hours ago using the big Weedless Tracker - works excellent in disorganized chop -
Fast is FUN!   8)

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2015, 05:57:19 PM »
An all-conditions race board sounds like a good choice for the conditions you're describing... faster boards will catch the smaller stuff better, and you don't need the mega nose rocker of a Maui downwind board. 

Have you tried an All-Star yet?  You could jump over to CCK @ Jack London Square and try their 14' x 28" All-Star demo.  They also have a Hobie 14 x 27.5 Apex demo... it's not really billed as an open ocean racer, but it's stable for its width and pretty fun in DW conditions.

Lastly, as others have stated you could get that V2 dialed in with practice! 
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

Just Cruising

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2015, 07:08:00 PM »
Funny you should ask - was just going through my vid.  :)  With the M-14 you actually want to go out in slop and chop for a quick out and back.

You do need to work hard like HIIE output to catch the little guys and stand way forward just until the tip pearls - but you can get some very nice little glides.  The 14V2 is easier when the sea is a bit more groomed than it was today.  In 10 knots of very weak breeze the M-14 was the perfect ride in the slop.  More breeze, the M-14 just gets better and better.

This was from a couple of hours ago using the big Weedless Tracker - works excellent in disorganized chop -

Ha, that's funny, I do exactly the same thing on my M14 and love it.  Hang out for the messy days and rush down to the beach after work for a few out and backs.  I just recently put the futures Hawaii downwind fin on mine.  I haven't had enough time on it yet but it seems like a good improvement over the stock fin.  I was really surprised what a difference it made.

Good luck with your search Clay.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2015, 07:53:42 PM »
That Hawaii fin should work excellent.  We put our little SIC Weedless 8.3 on and it really loosens up the board.  For a touch more hold we use the very tough FCS Touring 9.0.  Be very careful beaching that fin - the carbon layup tip is fragile and can easily open up on small rocks.

With the small SIC fin on the M-14 > the board handles much closer to the Bullet 14V2 with a big Gladiator Elite fin.  The M-14 is always more stable though and the 14V2 always faster.  The M-14 is a good board for a wide range of riders - not squirrelly or fast moving like the SIC can be.  The M-14 has a very surf friendly tail.
Fast is FUN!   8)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2015, 08:52:31 AM »
My main purpose for this board is DW in small sloppy conditions, if it surfs well that’s a bonus.  ;D

How does the JL M-14 compare to the Bullet 14v2 for catching tiny messy bumps, both powering up and maintaining glide?

Bullet will definitely pick up glides quicker for DW in small sloppy conditions. So will be a lot faster. M14 is a slower starter on planes, very noticeable in small conditions. M14 comes into its zone in bigger conditions. The M14 continuous rocker is delicious for carve action but no where as fast to plane as the less rockered Bullet.

singlefin007

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2015, 06:02:25 AM »
Hi Clay, Im 195# and have been surfing over 50 years, Standup for only  a few years. I as well paddle in San Francisco .Im new to downwinding, but found the Bullet V2 12-6 too narrow for me and after about 2 hours I fell a lot running from Angel Island to Berkeley- I now have the '2015 12-6 Naish Glide, which I love. It is probably too wide for many on this forum at 30" wide, but I can ride the small bumps easily. The short period wind bumps in SF bay make a 14' too long to ride the trough for me. 12-6 fits nicely- as well I like just long 10 mile plus paddles around Angel Island, out the gate etc. Ive gotten some nice downwind runs in Tomales Bay as well, swell running at over 8 mph-the '15 Naish Glide is Nothing like the 2014- much easier to carry too!
(new member , long time lurker.) Happy paddling!

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2015, 10:21:00 AM »
Hi,
Thanks for all the posts, pics, and ride reports, very helpful!

I had a quick session on the F14 in small backwashy howling offshore surf.  I loved the stability and the rocker felt fast on a wave, a couple times I thought I missed the wave and then the board took off.  Weight wise it feels very close to my shaka, quite heavy to carry and I felt like it took a lot of energy to power up.  If this was my first downwind board, I would definitely get the F14, as it is I find it to close to what I have now.  I wish SIC made a Bullet v2 two inches wider, around 29.5 in the same light weight construction.

So it seems like the flatter rocker downwind boards that have the lighter carbon construction and are 29 or wider are:

Naish Glide 2014 GX 14x29.5
Imagine Connector carbon 2015 14x29.5

Any comments on these boards and how they ride relative to the SIC boards or the shaka?

Are there any 12'6" that are wider and with lighter construction?   

paddlestandingup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2015, 02:50:16 PM »
Hi Clay, make sure you go visit the guys at 101 Surf Sports in San Rafael.  They have a great variety of DW to choose from.  Based on what you said though, I think the Bullet 14 is going to be great for you once you ride it a few more times and get a better feel for it.  Going from the Shaka to pretty much any other 14er is going to make that board feel unstable.  The shaka is great and unforgiving.  I love mine, though when the wind is weak or lumpy it's a chore to get moving.  If there are bumps, it's magic.  I have found that the Bullet 17 is fairly stable but seems like it's hard to accelerate to catch the bumps in the bay.  I took it out in Tomales Bay on a upper teens, low 20s day and it was a workout.  I suspect that I will like it more after I get some more time on it.

101 has the Imagine Connector in two different widths and also they new Focus Bluefin that people are raving about.  I think DW are a lot like surf boards, give yourself some time on a smaller (faster) board and you will like it more.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2015, 10:08:10 AM »
It may be as others have noted that the 14V2 will feel more comfortable to you with a bit more use -

http://www.standuppaddlesurf.net/2014/04/18/s-i-c-bullet-14-v3-sup-race-board-first-look/

"The v2 (at least for my weight which is now 220 lbs after injuries…ugh) felt much more stable although it lacked the race car feel of the v3. The peaks of the bumps that day were really close together so the added nose rocker and volume of the v2 made it “fit” better in the trough without poking the front bump as much and just felt really comfortable. It didn’t feel as fast but it was easier to stand on."

Fast is FUN!   8)

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2015, 07:15:47 PM »
Thanks for all the great suggestions.  I made it to 101 surf sports today, awesome shop and amazing selection of boards to demo.

I paddled:  Jimmy Lewis m-14, naish glide 14 gs, SIC 12'6', starboard freeride 12'2x30,  focus bluefin 14x26 and 12'6x27.

I would love try the jimmy lewis in good DW.  I liked the speed and stability of the starboard freeride, I later tried it in small downwind and felt really stable and caught bumps although I felt like it's not enough board for me. 

The focus bluefin was the biggest surprise for me, unbelievably stable and felt fast!  I'm trying that board tomorrow in small downwind and hopeful that I'll be stable and be able to pick up the small bumps. ;D

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2015, 08:35:04 AM »
Hi,

Update:  I did a short downwind run on the focus bluefin, I'm still shocked that I managed to stay on a board that narrow, ultimately it's a little to tippy for me in rough waters.

So I ended up buying a Blue Planet Bluerush Bump rider 14x30.  The light weight, stability and rail shape are what sold me.  I did a downwind run a couple days ago and had a blast, really stable, catches bumps, and surfs really well.  It surfs so well I'm stoked to try it in bigger conditions.  Here's a short video of the run:
https://www.facebook.com/clay.schmitz/videos/vb.1564381389/10203746722339589/

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2015, 09:52:54 AM »
[threaddrift] tell us more about the Bluefin. I like the looks of that board. Like how does it compare to a BulletV2?

I was a while on a stable 28" wide (M14) and now over a year on 27" Rogue Rage. I think I'm ready for 26" soon. I tried Jav 2014 14' x26  from buddies and like it.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard