Author Topic: A board more stable than SIC Bullet V2 for bigger guy?  (Read 28039 times)

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
Re: A board more stable than SIC Bullet V2 for bigger guy?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2015, 12:17:41 PM »
Thanks for all the input and suggestions, good stuff!

I want to clarify that I am looking for a board for mediocre/marginal downwind conditions in protected waters with NO groundswell.  To use an surfing analogy - the downwind equivalent of a fish shaped board, something that makes crappy waves fun, a board that does NOT work in open ocean or epic downwind conditions.  Am I making sense?  Is anyone making boards like this?

Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2015, 12:32:24 PM »
The nomenclature for all these boards has become a bit confusing. If you're not looking to race, and can store and transport a board longer than 14' I'd strongly recommend either a Bullet 17 V1 or V2. Alternatively, an F16 is more stable than either of those two and quite fast, as Covesurfer proves just about every day. The V2 is narrower than the original but I don't notice much difference in stability.

I use a production Bullet 17 V1 here in Hood River and now that my knee has been juiced it seems very stable to me. I've only fallen once in the last two runs, and that was because I was picking daisies, thinking about variable annuities, while I was trying to cut across a crossed-up bump. The fall was proper punishment.

Thanks for this.

Do you have any comments on how length works in smaller downwind conditions, weak short period bumps?  Is a 16-17' easier to catch and connect small bumps?  Does that length feel like a barge in small weak conditions?  How about the other way, how does a 12'6" of similar shape feel in small weak bumps?  Also do you know if anyone has tried a short sub 10' ultra flat rocker board?  A trimaran board?  I have only ridden 2 downwind boards so I'm not sure which direction to head and appreciate any guidance.

Thanks.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2015, 12:39:19 PM »
As long as the wind is DW, then I believe longer is better.  Upwind they can suck but DW they never feel like a barge.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2015, 12:56:28 PM »
I'm the poster boy for balance challenged big guy. I struggled like I couldn't believe on the bullet. I think my next big board is going to be having Bill Foote build me a 16 x 28 version of the 14' Maliko he made for admin back in 2008. My Vec 14 x 28 is loosely based on that board and it's ridiculously stable. I can catch pretty much anything on it, and I think a 16 or even 17' version would up the speed. I wish I had it last time on Maui I wouldn't have looked like such a kook.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2015, 01:05:04 PM »

I want to clarify that I am looking for a board for mediocre/marginal downwind conditions in protected waters with NO groundswell.  To use an surfing analogy - the downwind equivalent of a fish shaped board, something that makes crappy waves fun, a board that does NOT work in open ocean or epic downwind conditions.  Am I making sense?  Is anyone making boards like this?

A board that works well in mediocre conditions does not have to be bad in epic conditions.  Many of the newer downwind boards have faster rocker lines that take more skill to control in steep bumps but keep higher average speeds, which is also what you want for mediocre conditions.  If you can, demo boards with someone that is close to your skill level and switch boards, that seems to be the best way to determine which board works best for your conditions.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2015, 01:58:44 PM »

A board that works well in mediocre conditions does not have to be bad in epic conditions.  Many of the newer downwind boards have faster rocker lines that take more skill to control in steep bumps but keep higher average speeds, which is also what you want for mediocre conditions.  If you can, demo boards with someone that is close to your skill level and switch boards, that seems to be the best way to determine which board works best for your conditions.

I'd check with Blueplanet as well.  I've seen some beautiful boards showing up over here during recent races.

PtBobSup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2015, 10:13:30 AM »
Don't be afraid to give yourself a few more runs on the narrower boards.  You might find you get used to it pretty quickly.   And once you do, you will find those 30" wide boards really slow.  I am 220 so I know the struggles of finding enough volume in the right places.  I recently bought an older 14 x 27 Starboard Ace.  It has plenty of volume, seems very stable, and catches all the little bumps.  Enough that I am sort of keen on a newer carbon one.   

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2015, 06:19:52 PM »
There are a few people with longer boards in the SF area. This looks like a Bullet 17-4 going through some epic conditions in SFs Potato Patch. They will be able to tell you what these boards are like in smaller conditions. Personally I find though that a 14' is more fun in smaller conditions. But if you have the bigger board then you'll be all set for conditions like these.

https://youtu.be/3oownl30RN4
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2015, 02:49:47 AM »
First time you go on a narrower faster board it’s not abnormal to fall a few times. I’d suggest taking it out a few more times and see how you adjust before you go buy a new board which is in the same category as your trusty old one. My guess is you’ll adjust pretty fast. If you don’t, well, then stay with the wide stable zone.

We have a little DW gang going here with about 20 14’ Bullets, so I’ve seen that amount of peeps being first-timers. Most all fall a few times their first DW session. By the second or third they aren’t falling anymore. Give yourself a chance to adjust before you disqualify yourself to an easier class board.

Lakeshore1

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2015, 05:16:02 AM »
This question may have an obvious answer, but I'm going to ask anyways. ... is there a big difference in stability between a14'x28" race board and a 14'x28" DW board?  Does the shape of the rails make a big difference? I tried downwinding my 404 Zeedonk, but kept getting bucked off. My F14 is just so much better in ANY rougher conditions.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2015, 05:29:59 AM »
First time you go on a narrower faster board it’s not abnormal to fall a few times. I’d suggest taking it out a few more times and see how you adjust before you go buy a new board which is in the same category as your trusty old one. My guess is you’ll adjust pretty fast. If you don’t, well, then stay with the wide stable zone.

We have a little DW gang going here with about 20 14’ Bullets, so I’ve seen that amount of peeps being first-timers. Most all fall a few times their first DW session. By the second or third they aren’t falling anymore. Give yourself a chance to adjust before you disqualify yourself to an easier class board.

Hi Clay. I had a look at your vids on FB, and you certainly know how to walk around the board and get good glides so Yugi could be right, that with time the narrower board will be fine. I had initially thought I'd buy the F14, and decided on the Bullet 14V1 TWC after I tried the Bullet 14v2. I'm so glad that I did not get the F14 as whilst I would probably have never fallen off it, I would certainly be frustrated at having to paddle more to catch up with the crew because it is slower.
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2015, 09:37:27 AM »
Comparing our 27.5" Dominator to our 28" M-14 > a very big difference.  Dominator has much less surface area in contact in the front third of the board with a rolled vee - it also has no hard edges until the last 2 feet where the board is flat.  The M-14 has much more water contact area on a very flat base with hard edges all around with way more rocker.  The Dominator feels a bit tippier all the time - the M-14 more stable all the time.  Type and size of fin also plays a factor.

Comparing our 27.5" Dominator to our 27.25" Bullet V2 > still a very noticeable difference.  V2 is always more stable.  DW no comparison - Bullet is fast and planted planing with a panel vee > Dominator is slow.

The board design has a big impact how it can handle certain wind and water conditions given a certain rider weight and skill level.  Testing out as many board and fin combos as you can will help you dial in what works best when.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 09:55:44 AM by Eagle »
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2015, 09:28:56 AM »
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.  I'm hoping to demo a F14 wide glide this week.  I'll report back when I do.

FYI - my shaka is the heaver construction, the EST build.

I returned the bullet on monday and that morning there was some swell in the water so I took it out in glassy ankle to knee high point break waves.  Super fun really long rides, catching waves was riiiiiiidiculously easy.  After I felt comfortable enough to control it I paddled further up the point and caught a couple waist high waves.  Then a cleanup set came through and I got a shoulder wave, that was exciting!  Felt so fast, and I felt more in control, navigating the kelp and guys paddling back out added to the thrill.  Most of the waves were uncatchable on any normal sized board, so for me this opens up a whole new realm of surf potential.   :)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2015, 10:01:09 AM »
The 14V2 excels in those conditions compared to other DW boards.  With the panel vee the board is under control and fast on a wave.  Going to a bigger fin does help stability a lot and the board still turns ok - something to consider.  The F14 has a similar rocker but is quite a bit heavier so you will not plane as quickly - but is an excellent board nonetheless.  Have fun testing them out.   :)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2015, 10:54:31 AM »
Surfing 14'ers is a blast. I usually have my 14 on my truck unless I'm absolutely sure I won't be using it. Mixing up surf styles makes it all more enjoyable.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal