Author Topic: A board more stable than SIC Bullet V2 for bigger guy?  (Read 28132 times)

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
A board more stable than SIC Bullet V2 for bigger guy?
« on: May 09, 2015, 01:42:32 PM »
Hi,

I've had an Angulo Tiger Shaka 14x30 for several years.  I demoed an SIC Bullet 14 V2 yesterday, and on a downwind run I normally only fall once or twice on the Shaka I fell about a dozen times on the Bullet.

Any recommendations for a small bump catching board similar to the Bullet V2 but more stable?

I'm 6'6" and about 200 pounds.  My experience is surfing for 17 years and SUP surfing for 7 years.

The bullet caught bumps easier and when I got to the end of my run where the bumps were ankle highish and more groomed the bullet caught waves effortlessly and was great at maintaining glide.

In my local conditions the shaka is hard for me to power up and catch bumps and feels really slow when the bumps are really small.  The Shaka is super stable for me in all conditions.

My local spot is inside the San Francisco bay and usually under 3 feet, weak, close together, and unorganized.
Here are a couple videos (me on the Shaka) to see what my local conditions looks like:

Thanks!
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: A board more stable than SIC Bullet V2 for bigger guy?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 01:56:56 PM »
I think you've just described the SIC F14 Wide Glide, haven't you? It's as wide as the Shaka, but the same general rocker etc as the Bullet 14V2.

It's a shame that the production F14 wide glides don't come in the light SCC construction. I think they have made a mistake there.

I've got both the Angulo Shaka and the Bullet 14V2. I know what you mean about the Shaka - it is really great with a decent blow behind you, but it's not optimal for light wind downwinding. It's a very flattering board in big conditions, and although it is not light, it is a tough as nails, which is useful in a DW board built for big conditions.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 03:14:47 PM »
One of our downwind crew tried both my SIC F16v3 and Bullet 14v1 TWC and also had stability issues and so opted for the F14 Wide Glide. Our conditions are different to yours in that we are generally off shore with ocean swell. He's around 195lbs and loves this board. Here's a short vid with me riding it (183lbs). It is very stable and so I'd try and demo one if you can.

SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Lakeshore1

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 04:58:36 PM »
You really owe it to yourself to try the SIC F14. Seriously. ... i am currently looking for another F14 so my son can keep up with me.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 06:47:09 PM »
Staying in a 30" wide board go for a low rocker SIC F14 as mentioned - or try a narrower 28" Jimmy Lewis M-14 with more rocker.  The big stock Weedless Tracker fin on the blue and white stripe JL makes the board quite stable.  We often use our small stock SIC or FCS fin on the JL as they allow the board to turn faster and plane earlier.  A bigger fin put on the Bullet 14 V2 in the pics below - does help stability quite a bit when needed.

http://www.sicmaui.com/f-14-wide-glide/

http://www.jimmylewis.ca/?page_id=2434

Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 07:42:25 PM »
Hey Clay, from the videos it looks like you have the "Shaka" and not the "Tiger Shaka". The boards are quite different as I have an early prototype of an early Tiger Shaka and at 14x28 it rolls like a log in the bumps. I found it interesting that you had stability issues on the Bullet 14v2 as it seems to be promoted as a very stable board but at 27.2" wide. (the whole issue of stability is VERY subjective) One thing to consider is if by going wider are you going to kill the performance of the original design? I think you need to try a few more boards, if possible, before deciding on going "big". I will say that falling sucks and it can really kill what should be a good day. But coming off the Shaka to some of the new downwind boards my need you to spend more time on the water to really decide what you will have the most fun on.

I have one more day to paddle the new 2015 Bark 14x28 Downwinder which I've had for the week to demo. I've had really good luck with conditions this past week and plan to share my impressions of the board in the next day or two. In the meantime I can say once you try this board you may not have a use for the shaka anymore. It's as stable as the 2015 Naish Javelin 14x28 (certainly not as fast in flat water but it's still really good in the flats) but when it comes to catching bumps, steering for the gaps and a nose design that cuts through chop with no loss of momentum it's somewhat of a game changer in this category.

That being said, you really have to try a few boards before deciding what to get. I know it's hard to get boards to demo but getting the right board for the conditions you spend the most time in is just so important for the fun factor. Plus what is stable for one person is a log roll for another.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 08:11:02 PM »
I share Starman's concerns on the width. Switching from a SIC F16v3 to a F14 for me is frustrating. It feels sluggish due to the width. I don't feel the same difference when switching from the F16 to my SIC Bullet 14v1-TWC which at 36lbs is more than 6lbs heavier than the F14 GC (which is advertised at 29.8lbs). The Bullet 14v1 and V2 are both 27.25" wide vs the 30" of the F14.. It's the width..

However my buddy loves the F14, rarely falls, and manages to somehow keep up and get ahead of me on my SIC F16v3.. Maybe because he is 10 years younger and I'm just pure slow..

SO try before you buy if you can.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 08:13:35 PM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 10:30:52 PM »
I think 28" is the break point.  The production  V2 is 28 and it's a great board, nice and stable.  PBill used to use one and he ripped on it.  Now he's gone much narrower.  He's not a small man (well over 200) and isn't young (68). His knees are crap but he still can handle 26 by 17'.  Given everything, I hold him in the highest regard for his determination but basically I figure that's the bar for a bigger guy. 

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2015, 11:12:49 PM »
You could try the Starboard ACE GT (17.4 x 27) which I believe will be more stable for your weight.
In fact, with your weight and surfing ability, it may be the near-perfect board.

Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

komsup

• Waikiki Status
  • >40 - 5'10 - 70kg
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2015, 02:12:06 AM »
coreban dart fits your description. the pure=heavy but is REALLY tough.
Starboard Drive 10'5
SIC Bullet 17'4
Coreban Dart pro
Coreban alpha 12'6
previously Naish Mana 10', Fanatic Fly 14, Naish Hokua 9'3, Coreban Dart, Naish Glide 14 v2, Coreban lithium... & i still haven't found what i'm looking for...

Lakeshore1

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2015, 05:20:00 AM »
Hey Clay, from the videos it looks like you have the "Shaka" and not the "Tiger Shaka". The boards are quite different as I have an early prototype of an early Tiger Shaka and at 14x28 it rolls like a log in the bumps. I found it interesting that you had stability issues on the Bullet 14v2 as it seems to be promoted as a very stable board but at 27.2" wide. (the whole issue of stability is VERY subjective) One thing to consider is if by going wider are you going to kill the performance of the original design? I think you need to try a few more boards, if possible, before deciding on going "big". I will say that falling sucks and it can really kill what should be a good day. But coming off the Shaka to some of the new downwind boards my need you to spend more time on the water to really decide what you will have the most fun on.

I have one more day to paddle the new 2015 Bark 14x28 Downwinder which I've had for the week to demo. I've had really good luck with conditions this past week and plan to share my impressions of the board in the next day or two. In the meantime I can say once you try this board you may not have a use for the shaka anymore. It's as stable as the 2015 Naish Javelin 14x28 (certainly not as fast in flat water but it's still really good in the flats) but when it comes to catching bumps, steering for the gaps and a nose design that cuts through chop with no loss of momentum it's somewhat of a game changer in this category.

That being said, you really have to try a few boards before deciding what to get. I know it's hard to get boards to demo but getting the right board for the conditions you spend the most time in is just so important for the fun factor. Plus what is stable for one person is a log roll for another.

Anxious to hear your review of the Barm/Surftech DW board.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2015, 08:02:52 AM »
Thanks for the all great responses!  I appreciate acknowledging how challenging it is to demo boards and ride them in my local conditions.  I'll check around and see if anyone has the f14 wide, somehow I hadn't heard of it before.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2015, 08:16:35 AM »
The orange board is a Bullet 14 V1 27.25" and the blue one is a F14 30".

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,25558.msg260781.html#msg260781
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2015, 10:47:40 AM »
The nomenclature for all these boards has become a bit confusing. If you're not looking to race, and can store and transport a board longer than 14' I'd strongly recommend either a Bullet 17 V1 or V2. Alternatively, an F16 is more stable than either of those two and quite fast, as Covesurfer proves just about every day. The V2 is narrower than the original but I don't notice much difference in stability.

I use a production Bullet 17 V1 here in Hood River and now that my knee has been juiced it seems very stable to me. I've only fallen once in the last two runs, and that was because I was picking daisies, thinking about variable annuities, while I was trying to cut across a crossed-up bump. The fall was proper punishment.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2015, 11:21:43 AM »
Since you are in San Francisco, you should also check out the Blue Planet 14' x 30" Bump Rider in carbon.  Bluerush Boardsports in Sausalito has them in stock.  It's a great downwind board and plenty stable.  Talk to the owner Steve Pugh, he just used it in the Olukai race on Maui.

http://blueplanetsurf.com/products/blue-planet-140-bump-rider-carbon-2014
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]