Author Topic: Oscillating multi tool for sanding instead of sander/polisher?  (Read 11825 times)

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
So I know that the sander/polishers (especially the Makitas) seem to be the favorites when it comes to sanding and polishing boards, even doing repair work.  I've tried them myself, but have not been overwhelmed with their suitability for the job of working on surf and paddle boards; of course my skill level is much lower than someone who does board work for a living.     

Recently, I've been repurposing some old china hutches/display cabinets into a wall of built in bookshelves, and in the process started using my father in law's Sears oscillating muti tool.  Similar to this one:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-nextec-12v-multi-tool-with-quick-release/p-00930566000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&kpid=00930566000&pla=&kispla=00930566000P&mktRedirect=y

It has a triangular sanding head which enables the user to attack small spots and corners in wood projects with ease.  (It can also handle some more spread out areas without much trouble at all).  It sands like a tiger tearing into a poodle and has literally saved me dozens and dozens of hours sanding by hand on the furniture project. 

So I thought, "Why not try this little animal for repairing boards?"  I tested it on some epoxy repair work on the nose of my 9'2" T Patterson and then to smooth down the mega reinforcing I've done to the deck of a 8' Riviera Nugget.  In both cases it has worked amazingly well, and when hooked up to the shop vac via the dust tube, I've also seen about a 90% dust reduction in the work area.   (Wife was happy about less dust on the washer/dryer too.)

StandinDan has used one of these multitools with a blade attachment to shave off deck pads before, but I haven't heard of anyone using them to sand boards.  I even asked a local shaper/glasser if he's ever tried anything besides a sander/polisher, and he looked at me with a bit of an eye roll. 

Is this tool a bad idea?  Is there some divine purpose for using the spinning disc of a sander/polisher vs. the triangular sanding pad on a multi tool?  I could perhaps see the benefit of using a circular tool when polishing a board (something that will never happen in my garage anyhow because I just don't see the point in polishing something that gets heavy use--like polishing an offroad race truck), but if a sander/polisher is better, why?   
Kernel:  Cutting through the bull**it.
"This is the kernel of the argument."

Over 50, but usually pushing it like I'm 25 and paying for it later.

8'0 L41 Simsup
9'2" T. Patterson Rising Sun
9'2" Riviera Nugg Turbo Carbon
10' Riviera Machete

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Oscillating multi tool for sanding instead of sander/polisher?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 08:29:51 PM »
A 7" disc sander will cut much faster and maybe more importantly, with less heat than a multi tool or ocilating sander.  I always use the lowest grit  that I'm comfortable with for that reason (begin with 40-60).

The multi is the ultimate for pad removal with a scraper attachment.  With a fine saw blade, it's great for cutting away delaminated sections.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 08:36:27 PM »
I bought one and used it one time for about 5 minutes and took it back. It wasn't a Sears brand. I thought the trianglular shaped head would be good for the task but it didn't remove material anywhere near as rapidly as I wanted. I was in construction for a long time and I'm really picky when it comes to tools so take that for what's it's worth.

The tool I really like is my 6" Rockwell random orbital sander. It's the heavy duty one that looks like a little grinder so don't mistake it for the 5" model that looks more like a finish sander and isn't nearly as powerful.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 08:38:33 PM by magentawave »
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 10:20:57 PM »
The reason most use a rotary sander is the don't leave swearl marks. I've never tried a multi tool type one so can't say if they  do or don't. The one I would love is the fess tool that does random orbital and rotary at the same time plus  the vacuum system but there serious $$$$

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 04:06:52 AM »
i used a round rotation oscillator for many years on kiteboards.  Not nearly as fast as my 6" rotating with surfboard sanding pads.less control too.  And it totally messes up your nerves in hands. I would have buzzing in hand all night after an hour or two using it.
Get a variable speed type, I got mine cheap at building store, and paid the bucks for 6" surfboard sanding pads in soft, medium,  hard.Had to order them from California and ship them over to Sweden.  Best tool I ever acquired.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 11:54:18 AM »
For some reason the forum isn't letting me post so I'll try again... 

This is the random orbital sander I have. The motor is powerful and has variable speed. It looks like a big grinder but its actually much smaller. It comes with a removable handle but because of the tools compact size I never felt the need to use a handle. Mine is over 20 years old and still works like new but I read that the new ones are of poor quality.

supuk - A friend of mine has the Fess tool you are describing and it is reeeeeally nice.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 12:56:04 PM »
Here it is.

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 11:50:10 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys.  So my conclusion for now, based on what you've said and what I've experienced directly, is that the oscillating multi tool with sanding head attachment is an option in some cases, but can't remove material as quickly as a sander with a rotating disc. 

A couple days after posting this, a neighbor gave me his 11'2" Hobie longboard to repair.  It had ping pong ball sized clumps of dried resin on the nose (previous repair work or some type of resin accident in his garage?).  That material came off quickly with the rotating disc sander that I put into my cordless drill (haven't decided to spring for a pro quality sander polisher yet).  At the same time, for finer work on the flatter surfaces, the multi tool with sander head really shines. 

In regard to corded sander/polishers:

TallDude gave me a tour of his workshop a few months ago and I saw how amazingly talented and smart he is.  We discussed sanding tools, and this was just after I had purchased and then returned a $40 Harbor Freight sander/polisher which I found to lack precision and control.  TallDude showed me the Makita variable speed sander polisher he uses (which apparently many of the pros use as well) and it was fantastic compared to the cheapo Harbor Freight model.  The Makita allowed very tight control of rpm's via trigger pressure, even at the very low end.  For anyone who wants to know the exact model, I just reviewed my cell phone picture of it and it's a Makita 9227C.    Thanks again TallDude for the walkaround of your shop that day.

The reason most use a rotary sander is the don't leave swearl marks. I've never tried a multi tool type one so can't say if they  do or don't..."

I don't think an oscillating tool would leave swirl marks; wouldn't that be the issue with something moving in a rotary fashion?   For me it would probably never matter though, because my degree of repair finishing only goes to a "watertight and functional" level, with perhaps some attempt at color match as well.  I don't ever see myself going to a gloss finish and worrying about swirl marks.  The guys who go to that level are way more patient and skilled than I'll ever be. 

A 7" disc sander will cut much faster and maybe more importantly, with less heat than a multi tool or ocilating sander.  I al ways use the lowest grit  that I'm comfortable with for that reason (begin with 40-60).

The multi is the ultimate for pad removal with a scraper attachment.  With a fine saw blade, it's great for cutting away delaminated sections.

Bean, I think you're right on and that was reinforced when I efficiently knocked off the extra nose resin in under 10 seconds with a disc sander.  Also was reminded of the importance of using an aggressive grit like you said, whereas with woodworking that grit would just be too harsh.  I guess that will ensure that all the sandpaper in the combo packs gets used (coarse to medium to fine on surfboards, and medium to super fine on wood projects).

I bought one and used it one time for about 5 minutes and took it back. It wasn't a Sears brand. I thought the trianglular shaped head would be good for the task but it didn't remove material anywhere near as rapidly as I wanted. I was in construction for a long time and I'm really picky when it comes to tools so take that for what's it's worth.

The tool I really like is my 6" Rockwell random orbital sander. It's the heavy duty one that looks like a little grinder so don't mistake it for the 5" model that looks more like a finish sander and isn't nearly as powerful.

Thanks magentawave, I'll keep an eye out for that 6" Rockwell. 

8'0 L41 Simsup
10' Riviera Machete

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 02:00:43 PM »
Harbor Freight quality is a hit or miss thing so I hope I didn't waste your time suggesting them. If it's anything of consequence that you need, like a sander/polisher, then it's best to check the reviews at their website first. If Harbor Freight didn't have a good return policy then I'd never go there.

I should have mentioned this before, but for less finish type stuff, like rapid removal of ping pong ball size chunks of resin, instead of the Porter Cable RO sander, I use my old Makita 9207SPC sander/polisher. (I think its the predecessor to TallDudes Makita.) It has a powerful motor with variable speed so you can tune it to the task at hand. (For less clogging of sanding discs, use a slower speed so the disc won't produce as much heat.)

I was at the Sacred Craft/Boardroom thing last weekend and Chris Christiansen had the same big Makita 9207SPC in his arsenal of shaping tools. He had a soft yellow 5" or 6" pad on it and used it to sand the bottom.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 02:06:15 PM by magentawave »

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 09:54:43 PM »
Great detail magentawave....Thanks for sharing that...Someday I may spring for a higher quality tool.....

8'0 L41 Simsup
10' Riviera Machete

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal