Author Topic: foiling on a SUP!  (Read 16080 times)

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
foiling on a SUP!
« on: May 06, 2015, 11:44:30 PM »
I have no idea what they are saying, but apparently you can foil on a SUP!   Makes sense, but it hadn't crossed my mind as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV224KPYqQg
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 04:34:40 AM by Admin »

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: foiling on a SUP!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 12:52:37 AM »

I've been playing with the idea for a very long time..life got in the way.

The first thing a lot of people don't know is how small of a wave that will allow you to foil. It really doesn't need much power....but the problem is that smaller waves are often in more shallow areas...or the wave gets thick.

So I have a spot I've been eyeing. The next issue I've had was that I don't want to screw up my nice boards...and then I finally just sold my foil board...so now I have a board I could use, and I have wings but no t-bar. I might get back on figuring that out again.

I see from the video that the foil is high AR. I think that is a mistake for a SUP...not that I'm an expert...that guy probably knows a lot better than me, but personally I think a foils for a SUP would do better at a much lower AR. It'll make the board much more stable, and able to go at much lower speeds (ie. smaller waves).  To me a SUP foil needs a short wide board. The new raptors from naish would be ideal...but there is no way I would get a board like that and hack into it immediately.

beached

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 04:46:11 AM »
great, i can't wait to get hit by a ginsu knife attached to a large board in the whitewash.

jumpfrom13k

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 07:00:03 AM »
All you do is cruise around on that thing and make minimal turns?

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 08:21:42 AM »
Word is that you can surf large unbroken waves so it's not really made for shore break for most folks.

I'd think a breakaway mechanism would be the way to go on these or some sort of spring loading, but then you get crazy weight.

Maybe best for those big outer reef swells that never really break but get big.

Also the sensation is apparently amazing, even more like flying.

MtnSUPSKI

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 08:22:22 AM »
great, i can't wait to get hit by a ginsu knife attached to a large board in the whitewash.

That was my first thought, looks super dangerous!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 08:49:45 AM »
I've been studying this for a while as well. I'm looking at a different design that keeps the hull close to the water and adds stability as well as decreasing drag. We'll see how it goes. I plan to use the length of a big SUP board as the foil body and have the wings front and back.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 08:53:22 AM »

Maybe best for those big outer reef swells that never really break but get big.

Could make a nice application for downwinding.  You might really be able to get some long glides.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 08:58:09 AM »
down wind foilings been on my mind for ages, would love to get one and stuf it in a board but there not cheap! if there are any CAD bods out there who want to draw up some moulds that I can cnc out I will happily make them a foil too.

jumpfrom13k

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 09:07:14 AM »

Also the sensation is apparently amazing, even more like flying.

Is this the closest we can come to the hoverboard from Back to the Future?

gorgebob

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Gorgeperformance.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 09:16:31 AM »
Pono, with the wings front and back would it be a problem to trim? I am now looking at my 100cm formula fins, wing angles and boards to mount the box into. Oh god what destruction of what was perfectly good equipment in the name of science.
Founder: Gorge Performance Surf  Shop Portland
Fabricator: RNR Engineering

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 10:07:24 AM »
I've been studying this for a while as well. I'm looking at a different design that keeps the hull close to the water and adds stability as well as decreasing drag. We'll see how it goes. I plan to use the length of a big SUP board as the foil body and have the wings front and back.

Hah!  We just said the same thing.  Just enough foil to glide you over the hump into the next one with no slowdown.  Short enough that you could still paddle.  The foil(s) may also add enough stability to go very narrow. 

In surf...its all fun and games until someone gets bisected.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 10:42:30 AM »
I've been foiling since I started.

Oh... wait, that's flailing. Nevermind.

standuped

• Sunset Status
  • Zapotocky family values
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 10:48:43 AM »
I'd watch those early video's of Laird foil boarding with those big boots and wonder "why doesn't he just take an extra long paddle with him, it would provide that extra balance point that would steady things down.  You could just hold the paddle parallel to the grip of the tow rope when you were starting out.  I don't even know how people foil kite w/o any straps.  Way above my pay grade.  All very cool
Florida gear.. Bic 12'x31"~207L.. JP Fusion 10'8"x34"~190L..Angulo custom 9'6"x33"~160L.. SIC Fish 9'5"x29.6"~145L..Epic gear elite paddle~7"x75"..Oregon gear..JP Fusion#2..Foote Triton 10'4"x34"~174L.. Surftec Generator 10'6"x32.3"~167L..Kialoa Pipes 6 3/8"x75"...Me 6'1" 220 lbs circa 1959

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 10:54:57 AM »
I love these foils and what it means for boats yet the appeal and challenge for me when surfing or downwinding is reading the water surface.  Foils remove all that.  I see guys on foils cruising smooth as silk down the coast of North Maui with kite power and just looking at them I get bored. 

But for marine transportation, they're the best.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal