Author Topic: Zoning to remove surfing from Pacific City  (Read 20785 times)

p06781

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Zoning to remove surfing from Pacific City
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2015, 04:33:14 PM »
Signed , I cant believe that they are really considering doing this ?

It is one of the best 2 spots to surf when coming from Portland ?  PC in north winds ,  Seaside in south winds ....

PC this last december in offshores ...

standuped

• Sunset Status
  • Zapotocky family values
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2015, 06:44:21 PM »
How do I participate?
The Marine Board will be accepting written comments on this petition until June 3, 2015. The Marine Board will not accept comments by telephone.
Send written comments by mail, fax, or email to:
June LeTarte, Rules Coordinator
435 Commercial St NE
Salem, OR 97301
Fax: 503-378-4597
Email: osmb.rulemaking@state.or.us
Written comments due: 5:00 p.m., Wednesday June 3, 2015

What happens after the public comment period?
At the conclusion of the written public comment period, agency staff will consider all the comments, evaluate the merits of the petition, and will subsequently bring a recommendation whether to open rulemaking before the 5-member Marine Board at the June 24, 2015 Board Meeting in Salem. Public comment on this petition will not be accepted at the Board meeting.
On June 24, 2015, the Marine Board
will hear the petition and staff’s recommendation. The Marine Board may:
 Direct staff to initiate the rulemaking process to consider the rule change proposal;
 Deny the petition and take no further action; or
 Deny the petition and direct staff to take some other action at the Marine Board’s discretion.

The above is extracted from:
http://www.oregon.gov/OSMB/docs/Public%20Notice.pdf
Writing a letter sounds like the best course of action. 
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 06:48:21 PM by standuped »
Florida gear.. Bic 12'x31"~207L.. JP Fusion 10'8"x34"~190L..Angulo custom 9'6"x33"~160L.. SIC Fish 9'5"x29.6"~145L..Epic gear elite paddle~7"x75"..Oregon gear..JP Fusion#2..Foote Triton 10'4"x34"~174L.. Surftec Generator 10'6"x32.3"~167L..Kialoa Pipes 6 3/8"x75"...Me 6'1" 220 lbs circa 1959

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2015, 08:19:05 PM »
I spent a little time researching this on the forums that the dorymen frequent. the general tone is that they don't support the petition but see issues of concern. You may recall that a surfer, Cole Ortega, 14, of Bend, had his arm severed when run over by a dory in 2008. Last year a jury awarded Ortega 3.8 million in damages finding the state 70 percent negligent, Ortega 30 percent negligent, and the doryman not negligent.

The petition doesn't make much sense except from the State of Oregon's viewpoint. They've been hammered. They could undertake a rulemaking to exclude surfers from Pacific Beach, but that action would come under a lot of heat. It's easier for them politically to get a doryman to file a petition, which they have likely already told the guy they would look favorably on. Kind of a standard government back end play.

The major hazard at Pacific City is not surfers getting tangled with a Dory, it's clueless people on the beach, wandering around when a Dory is landing and ignoring any instruction to get out of the way. The Dorymen roar onto the beach in a wave. In reality they don't really need to do a 300 foot slide up the beach, they can land with much less drama, but it's fun--we'd do the same. The state isn't trying to do anything about that, they'd have a tough time of it unless they ended Dory fishing, and it's likely that someone will get killed sooner or later. It's happened in the past, it will happen again. So the state's action is mindless and ineffective. Sounds familiar.

I think the surf community needs to talk directly to the dorymen, and point out that appealing to the state for more regulation and turning other watermen who are their natural allies into enemies is a boneheaded action that is more likely to eventually end their sport than it is to solve any problem. They'd make a lot more progress in ensuring their right to practice a traditional pastime by cooperating with fellow watermen than by pissing them off.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2015, 09:12:04 PM »

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2015, 09:55:58 PM »
Here's a little insight into other proposed restrictions by the Oregon State Marine Board and how the PWC industry reacted.

http://www.pwia.org/assets/cabinets/Cabinet479/PWIA_Comments_OAR%20250-020-0040_Salmon%20River%20PWC_9-30-2014.pdf

To their point,

the Marine Board’s mission
is to “serve Oregon's recreational boating public through education, enforcement,
access, and environmental stewardship… and is dedicated to improving recreational
boating throughout the state… [a]ssure that the agency’s work scope includes all
recreational boaters in the state”.6

« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 10:08:31 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2015, 09:40:24 AM »
Just following up,
I am happy to say this proposed legislation did not pass. The more I thought about it, the more ridiculous it became to me.

Here is a copy and paste from an email surf rider sent me declaring victory

Thanks for anyone who participated here. Surf on..

-red

___________________________email from Surf Rider_________________
"Surfing is NOT A CRIME in
Pacific City!
The decision is in on the Pacific City “Navigational Safety Zone”

We are STOKED to announce that today the Oregon State Marine Board (OSMB) voted unanimously to deny the petition to create a "navigational safety zone" and exclude surfers from some of the best waves on the North Coast! This is a major victory for recreational access at Cape Kiwanda!

A major factor in turning this decision in our favor was the massive groundswell of support that you provided through your petition signatures and hand-written letters. Surfrider's ability to influence decisions like this is only as strong as your support, we couldn't have done this without YOU!

Whats the next step?

The stronger our chapter network and membership base is, the better poised we are to continue protecting our local ocean, waves and beaches. I'd like to encourage you to take the next step in continued support by joining us as a member. A paid Surfrider Foundation membership provides much needed financial support for both your local chapter and the programs and staff that work to turn campaigns into victories.

Check out the links below and choose the chapter nearest you to join or renew your membership today. If you’re already a member, thank you, we truly appreciate you!
 "

supthecreek

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2015, 10:02:08 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Nicely done!

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2015, 11:08:04 AM »
Great news!

Every now and again, even state agencies do something that makes sense. Very glad the State Marine Board was responsive to the input of the surfing community. PC is an amazing spot and one of the gems of the Oregon coast.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2015, 03:46:27 PM »
Surfrider is on it like white on rice though, claiming victory and looking for donations. Most of the vibe I got from the fishermen was quoting aggressive and exclusionary efforts by surfrider. I'd like to see both sides take a breather and stop the coast grabbing. the biggest problem that I've always found with special interest foundations is that  they need to keep beating the drum to appear effective and necessary. Once the battles that make sense are won or decisively lost, they need to find new wars.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal