Author Topic: Paddling near Seattle  (Read 24860 times)

wilder

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Paddling near Seattle
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2017, 02:57:38 PM »
I'm reviving an old thread, but I finally am both in the Seattle area and I have a board.  It has already gotten cold and rainy.  I'm wondering if neoprene pants and a neoprene vest with either wool or fleece over it would be good gear for paddling around here.  I always prefer to go barefoot, but I guess I'll have to wear neoprene booties.
Any new thoughts from cold-weather paddlers?

Welcome to the area! I also try to go barefoot as long as I can, but this is the time of year I start back with the neoprene booties, especially for morning paddling and longer paddles. Also rocky and slippery (or barnacle laced) shores make booties more of a necessity for protection rather than just warmth.

I paddle rivers mostly, so the water is colder than the sound, so I generally lean toward more neoprene than less. You may suffer more initially by sweating and overheating, but its worth it when the unexpected swim happens.  If I'm hitting class 2+ whitewater or somewhere its likely I'll be falling in a lot, then I wear a 3/4 mil full wetsuit like 10 months out of the year. Class 1 rivers where its much less likely I will be falling in I'll go with a 1 mil 2 piece wetsuit in the cold months. 

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2017, 07:01:46 PM »
I'm reviving an old thread, but I finally am both in the Seattle area and I have a board.  It has already gotten cold and rainy.  I'm wondering if neoprene pants and a neoprene vest with either wool or fleece over it would be good gear for paddling around here.  I always prefer to go barefoot, but I guess I'll have to wear neoprene booties.
Any new thoughts from cold-weather paddlers?

Welcome to the area! I also try to go barefoot as long as I can, but this is the time of year I start back with the neoprene booties, especially for morning paddling and longer paddles. Also rocky and slippery (or barnacle laced) shores make booties more of a necessity for protection rather than just warmth.

I paddle rivers mostly, so the water is colder than the sound, so I generally lean toward more neoprene than less. You may suffer more initially by sweating and overheating, but its worth it when the unexpected swim happens.  If I'm hitting class 2+ whitewater or somewhere its likely I'll be falling in a lot, then I wear a 3/4 mil full wetsuit like 10 months out of the year. Class 1 rivers where its much less likely I will be falling in I'll go with a 1 mil 2 piece wetsuit in the cold months.

Thanks for this information!  I took a little spill today, but it wasn't bad because I was in a smaller lake.  I've been looking around, but it seems really hard to find just a neoprene top for women.  I like the idea of a two-piece, and I have some bottoms that'll work for now.  I'll be in calm water, but that doesn't rule out falling off the board----I'm a novice, I guess.  Also, the wind can pick up fast around here, so some kind of wetsuit is needed for sure.  So far I have only looked at REI.  Do you know of a place that has both decent prices and a good selection of suits?  Thanks

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2017, 09:51:03 PM »
Try Urban Surf near Gas Works Park. Good selection and the staff is awesome. Also Discount Divers Supply on Westlake. They have both new and used suits.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 10:00:00 PM by Dusk Patrol »
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2017, 10:38:06 PM »
Try Urban Surf near Gas Works Park. Good selection and the staff is awesome. Also Discount Divers Supply on Westlake. They have both new and used suits.

Will do----thanks!

wilder

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2017, 03:57:49 PM »
Yes, Urban Surf is your best bet, they know what they are talking about.

There is a great paddle scene in Ballard and Salmon Bay Paddle holds weekly Monday night races during the summer starting from the Ballard Elks near the entrance to the locks. The race series is over the season but there will be a Halloween race, not sure the exact date yet. Check out 206+ Waterman group on Facebook, lots of info!

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2017, 07:42:51 PM »
Word around the campfire is that Lake Union had a serious issue with medical waste back flushing right into the lake for quite some time. Primarily around Gasworks Park area. Some valve was switched opposite the direction it should've been going which dumped a crap load of nastiness into the lake. From what I'm told, years. So yeah, my dog isn't even allowed near that water.

Lake Washington is a different story, kinda, since after all they are connected. I usually hang out and circumnavigate Mercer Island area.

The sleuth from Sammamish to Lake Washington is a very fun float. Waters are pretty clear and warm.

Anything out in the Sound kinda depends on the time of year and how far from shore ya go. Farther out, colder temps due to open waters. Be very very careful of currents and know how to read them. Especially around the islands.

Enjoy surfing? Check out West of Port Angeles facing the Strait.  Also, check out Whiskey Creek. Cabins are 100 a night and right on the water. At night you can see Canada all lit up. Many good times there!!!
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2017, 08:00:16 PM »
Word around the campfire is that Lake Union had a serious issue with medical waste back flushing right into the lake for quite some time. Primarily around Gasworks Park area. Some valve was switched opposite the direction it should've been going which dumped a crap load of nastiness into the lake. From what I'm told, years. So yeah, my dog isn't even allowed near that water.

Lake Washington is a different story, kinda, since after all they are connected. I usually hang out and circumnavigate Mercer Island area.

The sleuth from Sammamish to Lake Washington is a very fun float. Waters are pretty clear and warm.

Anything out in the Sound kinda depends on the time of year and how far from shore ya go. Farther out, colder temps due to open waters. Be very very careful of currents and know how to read them. Especially around the islands.

Enjoy surfing? Check out West of Port Angeles facing the Strait.  Also, check out Whiskey Creek. Cabins are 100 a night and right on the water. At night you can see Canada all lit up. Many good times there!!!

Cool.  Whiskey Creek is in Port Angeles?  I'll check that out, even though I don't surf.  Back in the 80's, I didn't let my dog in Lake Union, and I wouldn't do it now.  This summer, though, there were paddlers, swimmers, and dogs in the lake right by Gas Works, in spite of the huge sign that says stay out of the water.  I won't paddle there.  I'll try the waterway between Sammamish and Lake Washington, though---that sounds great.  I'm still trying to get together the right clothes.  Not a wetsuit.  I will likely fall in, so I have a balance to strike.

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2017, 08:22:05 PM »
W.C. isn't in P.A. It's WEST of it off hwy 112 past Joyce and just outside of Disque. Then turn right real sudden like on Whiskey Creek Beach Road.😆

If you keep going on 112 past WCBR, turn right again on the first cove and voila! Surfing cove.
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2017, 11:50:34 PM »
The Lake Union Water is fine, these days, including around Gas Works. It’s the lake bottom sediment at the park that has the toxic elements, to not be disturbed. Not the best situation, but not dangerous for paddling....allegedly...
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal