Author Topic: Question about San O.  (Read 3501 times)

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Question about San O.
« on: May 01, 2015, 02:20:14 PM »
Is Dog Patch a leftover wave, or is it as good as the nearby non-SUP-peaks?
It all looks pretty good in this RJ Fenwick shot, but I would want to be able to roam around a bit.

StandinDan

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Question about San O.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 02:48:36 PM »
The whole park can be breaking nicely, you're driving south thinking about the chest high glass you're seeing then...
Wahhh wahh wahhhh....
nuthin' at the patch.
Just a couple of butt boarders groveling around in the mush.
So you wait it out thinking the tide shift will help...then here comes the wind, the tiny little flag starts flapping up on top of the telephone pole. Oh how I hate you tiny little flappy flag.
You then convince yourself that it is only bound to get worse so you'd better go out now and at least get wet and grab a few before it's totally blown... 5 minutes later you're in the water and it's totally blown and the sheep have arrived in droves.
So you say 'ef it, go back to the beach and discover that the water is STILL off at the showers.
Then you grab a chair and Sano Sup breaks out the coffee thermos , you talk story,
marvel about the beautiful day and how, regardless of the conditions, it's great to be here.

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 02:55:41 PM »
The SUP zone is scraps. If it's ok the other breaks are better. Nukes can deliver, though. Low tide with a little size and it's a pretty good wave.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 07:18:10 PM »
Left over wave and usually really crowded.  Can often be pretty fun, but never as good as the spots around.  Yet it is the SUP go-to spot.  It has great facilities and you can park right next to the break.  Just paddle straight out.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Newps

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 07:52:02 PM »
I call it Dog Crap, every time I've SUP there I wished I went somewhere else.  From the beach it looks fun but once you get out there it just a really weak wave.  I SUP on a 7'8" so if you're riding a 10'er it might be fun.
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'4" x 30 1/4" x 4 1/2" 112L
L41 SIMSUP S5 - 7'6" x 27 1/2" x 4 3/16" 106L
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'8" x 31"x 4 1/2" 122L - Modded w/ a King's TUT Tuttle box and using a King's foil.
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'10" x 30 1/4" x 4 1/2" 120L
Starboard Whopper - 10' x 34" x 4 1/3" 171L - w/ FCS GL-1 fins

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 08:34:39 PM »
Agree on the comments above.  Vibe is great there, but conditions often set up for disappointment. 

Sunday morning on eagerly anticipated waves?  Prepare for Grand Central Station.

Going at the right time (like early evening) on a big swell can yield lots of fun though.  SupSurfIsSurf and I have had some rockin' sessions there on huge waves with almost the whole place to ourselves.  I think the non local day crowd clears out after getting their fill and goes home to shower and primp for date night.  Who needs a date when there are waves?

(Editor's note:  The author of this post is married with children; nonetheless he has little hope of ever getting a date again in his life.)
Kernel:  Cutting through the bull**it.
"This is the kernel of the argument."

Over 50, but usually pushing it like I'm 25 and paying for it later.

8'0 L41 Simsup
9'2" T. Patterson Rising Sun
9'2" Riviera Nugg Turbo Carbon
10' Riviera Machete

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 08:52:17 PM »
I call it Dog Crap, every time I've SUP there I wished I went somewhere else.  From the beach it looks fun but once you get out there it just a really weak wave.  I SUP on a 7'8" so if you're riding a 10'er it might be fun.

Same here.  Don't like it on my 7'4, but it's OK on bigger boards.  So freaking crowded though.  I usually regret going out there too. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 09:14:01 PM »
I've had some of the most fun surfing days of my life at Dogpatch. Certainly a lot of it is the company, great folks to hang out with. Sitting and talking with Mickey Munoz is the highlight of any day, anywhere, and all the rest of the Dogpatch crew are simply fun to be around. But the waves are nice too. Yeah, it's crowded, but I get my waves. Yeah it's mushy, but the rides are long and you can work the waves if they're bigger than waist high. It's like Thousand Peaks on a good south swell with all your buddies out.  Great place, that's why its crowded.

That said, it's past time to get more of that beach. If that marker was 200 yards further up the beach it would be prime, and fair.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 11:21:42 PM »

Only go there Monday through Thursday on a BIG south swell.  The crowd really thins out and you can actually catch some fun waves.  I go down there on the bigger south summer swells and have had great times!  That place can be consistent on those steep south swells we don't get just north of point conception.  Only sup during the day and mid week on a bigger south swells.  I also act dumb and surf the wave to the north and pretend like I don't know I'm not suppose to be there. Usually grumpy crawlers to the north but I don't care anymore and surf there when I want to.

No wet suit, clear water usually and fun waves.  Whats not to like surfing Dogpatch mid week on a large swell?

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 11:57:11 PM »
Dog  Patch can be fun, really fun, but its a pretty crummy wave in general.  Nukes can be so good.  The left and the right, but on a big swell the right can get so so good and is crazy long.  I have had some of the best sessions of my SUP life out there.  Similar to Kanaha, but less sectiony and less welsh tourists dropping in on you. 

littleray

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2015, 07:16:04 AM »
Its's a terrible wave.The place is packed with people,smiles on their faces having fun.....and then the pros show up. ;)

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 07:48:01 AM »
Echo of sentiments already expressed.  The crowd is usually at the north end of the area and if there is any swell at all you can find a section all to yourself and have plenty of fun.  I had my 10-6 built specifically for this place, knowing that there are days when the little boards just wish they had more glide to catch the mush.  All the cobbles at the waterline make it more of a "Surf Only" type beach unless your kids have feet like Ironman.  It's a total left over break from Old Mans but at least it isn't nearly as crowded.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal