Author Topic: Canary Island SUP Downwinding Trip: any options  (Read 10289 times)

atlanticsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Canary Island SUP Downwinding Trip: any options
« on: April 27, 2015, 10:13:41 AM »
I realise on my London trips I can plan 3 or 4 days at the Canary Islands on the return and want to see if I can make a habit of more regular trips (I am on the Southern Hemisphere so I can get the advantage of N Hemisphere summers).

I initially thought it would be easy to organise a Downwind board to rent (one group has OC1/SUP training sessions but only Feb/March) and hopefully some sort of shuttle service but so far I have not had any luck.

Can anyone recommend who I can speak to?
naish glide (2011) 14', sic bullet 17'4" (currently use), naish maliko 14', coreban dart pro 14' (currently use)

Coreban Longboard style SUP 9'6" custom, Signature 3D custom 7'8

think evo I, Fenn Swordfish S (currently use)

ManxSUP

• Waikiki Status
  • kook from the Isle of Man
    • View Profile
    • stuff I get up too...
    • Email
Re: Canary Island SUP Downwinding Trip: any options
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 09:04:17 AM »
just got back from Fuerteventura a couple of weeks ago, I rented surf boards from Homegrown in Corralejo, they didn't have SUP, but i think you can rent SUP at www.lineupfuerteventura.com

can't vouch for them, but maybe a place to start?

Northerlies seem to be the prevailing wind in the summer, so Lanzarote to Fuerteventura may be a possible route, but don't take my advice, talk to some locals...
Kook from the Isle of Man. Mediocre at SUP, poor to average surfer, not bad on a motorcycle though...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 09:29:35 AM »
Oops, duplicate posting with errors
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 09:32:10 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 09:31:12 AM »
There used to be a very interesting Canary Islander on the Zone, too bad he isn't still posting, he'd fill you in. You might go to Facebook and connect to https://www.facebook.com/sonni.honscheid. Besides being a great athlete and champion SUP paddler she's from the Canary Islands and she's a wonderful person, generous with her time. I'm sure she'd give you advice if she can. Not sure she gets home much any more, I usually run into her in Maui (a lot) or Hood River (a little).
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

atlanticsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 12:21:29 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. Must say I tried this (northern hemisphere) summer but though I suspect there are some great runs, pretty much impossible to organise. Made me appreciate the Cape (if it ain't a downwinder normally means it's a surf), though I am going to try again next summer as only matter of time I suspect for downwinding in the Canary's.

Winds are up again down south (africa), and summer is on its way. Today was a 25knot average Millers-Fish Hoek run, skim past a pair of ginormous souther right whales heading directly in the wind, and plenty of amazing runs. Season is most definitely starting again.
naish glide (2011) 14', sic bullet 17'4" (currently use), naish maliko 14', coreban dart pro 14' (currently use)

Coreban Longboard style SUP 9'6" custom, Signature 3D custom 7'8

think evo I, Fenn Swordfish S (currently use)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal