Author Topic: Long distance adventure touring  (Read 112421 times)

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Long distance adventure touring
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2019, 03:59:29 AM »
Another "regular people" trip I would love to do someday. I may do part of it this summer. This map is from a kayak magazine, but pretty much the same for SUP. Under the right conditions, it is also done outside. If the weather starts to turn , portaging across the island is not too bad, especially if you can pinpoint one of the skinny spots. All the camping is primitive and it is a self supported trip. The lighthouse hides a channels; Shackleford Banks (on the left) is a separate island. You can add more days continuing up the next barrier island, also wild with camping. and cross part or all of Pamlico Sound or follow the barrier islands and cross to Ocracoke to get back to civilization.

2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2019, 09:18:53 AM »
^ That looks like a really good trip Glide.

Here are a couple "regular people" trips from Adventure Kayak magazine on Kootenay lake. There was a good write up in a kayak magazine that I posted several years ago, but it's not longer available online. I also posted the 4 day trip I did on the lake, but the pictures are no longer available because photobucket deleting free online pics. These articles are quite well done and give good insight on the culture in the area and different trip options.

https://www.rapidmedia.com/adventurekayak/categories/departments/5956-kootenay-lake-bc-hippies-huckleberries-and-beer.html

https://rapidmedia.com/adventurekayak/categories/trips/5957-kootenay-karma-4-day-trip-guide-to-kootenay-lake-bc

« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 09:29:59 AM by robon »

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2019, 10:07:41 AM »
Yeah, CLO is pretty popular. There are a few barrier islands you can paddle to and camp - Bear Island, Masonboro and I think a small one south of Topsail, but they aren't long adventure paddles.

One more popular multiple night trip from NC and I will back off from filling the thread with these. This one is kind of cool because most of the campsites are platforms on the river. The Roanoke gets kind of swampy on the coastal plain. One downside is that since you can't bury stuff, you have to pack out a bucket of "organic matter"...

https://roanokeriverpartners.com/pf-home.aspx
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2019, 05:41:57 PM »
The Erie Canal would also be a great trip. Easy narrow passage across New York State. Lots of lochs to go through.

https://eriecanalway.org/explore/boating/paddling
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2019, 07:08:50 PM »
This one is kind of interesting - Mike Simpson circumnavigating Puerto Rico. It's 275 miles. What's interesting is if you first read this article:
https://www.supthemag.com/travel/field-notes/circumnavigating-puerto-rico/
You will get the low down on how much he prepared and had a special UL SUP made and they talk about his experience with some other long paddles (Key West to Maine!) and it sounds like it this is going to really challenge him.

Then watch the video, which is mostly interview after with a lot of footage that's just him paddling around plus a little that may be actual trip footage. Then in the last minute or so he mentions this local signed on almost last minute and did it all on a production board. Sounds like an awesome trip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXtANolpvow
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2019, 01:46:55 AM »
@TALLDUDE
Thanks - :)
Yes, it was spectacular enough to let me know that this was going to be a sport I was really going to enjoy... and invest myself in (after just one trip).

@DEEP MUD
That was a Greenland canoe paddle - it’s super versatile, and I would highly recommend it on any long trip. It’s ideal when you want to take a break and sit down... but especially ideal when you want to maneuver around with a camera to get somewhat cool photos.

After trying the paddle out from https://www.advanced-paddles.fr/pagaies/pagaies-traditionnelles/ - I was told that he will now make SUP paddles as well. BTW: they are super light, super durable, and they slide nicely under or atop your gear while traveling.

Here’s an example of tight maneuvering: getting the shot wasn’t so easy, but I’d like to believe that the Greenland paddle made it that much easier.

Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2019, 05:33:14 PM »
OK, here is a really odd one. He apparently was the first to do this trip, but lucky to make it. He really didn't know what he was doing (see the featured picture and look for details):

https://matadornetwork.com/read/adventure-almost-kills-terrifying-record-breaking-sup-trip-malaysia/

At times miles offshore in a second hand iSUP alone with no rescue gear. He didn't seem to know what weather to expect in the season. But he has stories to tell that most of us never will.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2019, 10:06:02 PM »
Wow = gutsy or crazy? He didn't say where he was getting more fresh water as he went along - I know they do make small desalinization units.  I could see he was paddling a Red - must have had good glue on that batch or he'd not be telling the tales.

Ichabod - Erie Canal - funny, my in-laws are in the Rome NY area, and I've driven over some sections of the Erie - but it must be "old Erie" - some not-active sections. I'd been wishing there were intact canals to check out I thought it was abandoned!!  If it hadn't been -20 last weekend, I could have checked it out then! I was just there on the way for some business in Ottawa (detoured to visit). Looks like a cool trip - with access to beer! :D

Photofr - I have some cedar I was thinking of making into a Greenland kayak paddle - I think I could use it has both a standup single blade and a sitting double-blade paddle. It looks like it's good to brace in one arm and scull for support? Is that what you are indicating with your photos? One had on the paddle, the other on the camera?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 10:08:05 PM by deepmud »

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2019, 10:21:35 PM »
This one is kind of interesting - Mike Simpson circumnavigating Puerto Rico. It's 275 miles. What's interesting is if you first read this article:
https://www.supthemag.com/travel/field-notes/circumnavigating-puerto-rico/
You will get the low down on how much he prepared and had a special UL SUP made and they talk about his experience with some other long paddles (Key West to Maine!) and it sounds like it this is going to really challenge him.

Then watch the video, which is mostly interview after with a lot of footage that's just him paddling around plus a little that may be actual trip footage. Then in the last minute or so he mentions this local signed on almost last minute and did it all on a production board. Sounds like an awesome trip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXtANolpvow
"the kid is a monster" - lol, damn youth! wasted on the young!

Too bad there weren't more stills and vids from the trip. He needs a Kook Hat from Bill :D

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2019, 11:43:53 AM »
Wow = gutsy or crazy? He didn't say where he was getting more fresh water as he went along - I know they do make small desalinization units.  I could see he was paddling a Red - must have had good glue on that batch or he'd not be telling the tales.

Ichabod - Erie Canal - funny, my in-laws are in the Rome NY area, and I've driven over some sections of the Erie - but it must be "old Erie" - some not-active sections. I'd been wishing there were intact canals to check out I thought it was abandoned!!  If it hadn't been -20 last weekend, I could have checked it out then! I was just there on the way for some business in Ottawa (detoured to visit). Looks like a cool trip - with access to beer! :D

Photofr - I have some cedar I was thinking of making into a Greenland kayak paddle - I think I could use it has both a standup single blade and a sitting double-blade paddle. It looks like it's good to brace in one arm and scull for support? Is that what you are indicating with your photos? One had on the paddle, the other on the camera?

Deepmud, there's a long and extensive series of canals there. You can literally paddle from the Great Lakes to NYC — just like those old canal boats of yore. I don't think a standup paddler has done the whole distance yet. A pair of them tried it a few years ago in late autumn, but they got stopped by the ice.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2019, 12:53:57 PM »

Deepmud, there's a long and extensive series of canals there. You can literally paddle from the Great Lakes to NYC — just like those old canal boats of yore. I don't think a standup paddler has done the whole distance yet. A pair of them tried it a few years ago in late autumn, but they got stopped by the ice.

Yeah, my brother is a yacht delivery skipper and he has some deliveries between the Great Lakes and the Atlantic coast. Goes through NYC. Locks and canals take you more places than I realized. He has taken boats up from the Gulf to Knoxville, TN. That's practically in the Smoky Mountains. This time of year he works full time for a retired couple that winters in the Keys. Rough life.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2019, 06:20:52 PM »
That would be a great trip. Three weeks (about) through the canals and lochs. The whole time never more than 50 feet from shore.

I'm dreaming! (I have a mule, and her name Sal. Fifty miles on the Erie Canal!)

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2019, 05:20:46 AM »
@DEEP:
I enjoyed the simplicity of the short paddle, for the following reasons:
- Encountered super strong wind, and I had to get my knees for about 10 minutes - the shorter blade made it so much easier.
- Encountered moments where I wanted to reposition my board for the photo - the shorter blade made it again, much easier.
- I can manage holding the camera in one hand, and with the simple shorter paddle, I can hold it in the other hand and brace it against my neck - for couple of strokes... just long enough to reposition my board for a better photo (without putting the camera gear away).
- The shorter paddle can be stored away with ease (under the gear or over the gear) with so much ease. It makes a great emergency paddle just in case I would break the main paddle on those super long trips.

So yeah, while I am not at all a fan of those paddles in my kayak (at all) - I think they are a tremendous asset to just about everything else on a SUP.

Hope that helps.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: April 06, 2019, 09:45:55 PM »
Found a Facebook group from Robon - not a thread so much as a place where a lot of long distance adventure touring is happening.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/vansup/

comeu

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: April 07, 2019, 01:29:36 AM »
Funny, I was thinking to start a thread like this one on multiple days expeditions. I’m planning to do almost the same thing as Robert « Blue planet » did, circumnavigation around an island (here in Japan), something like 200km...
there are so many ways to do long expeditions, some do it slowly and take time to explore, some have support, others don’t... i want to do it without support, on my sunova allwater 14x25’5...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal