Author Topic: Lasik: What to do?  (Read 16787 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Lasik: What to do?
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2015, 01:00:54 AM »
Skil Planer! Tarnation, why a spokeshave is all my grandpappy needed. If it was good enough for him...
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2015, 04:24:24 PM »
my dad did it was a lot of money but he claims best thing he ever did. his eyes were really bad and could not drive at night anymore now he is almost 20/20!

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2015, 05:38:50 PM »
I had rk surgery about 20 years ago when I was 45 years old. I had been wearing glasses since 3rd grade. With rk, instead of using lasers, they cut your eye like a pizza. I use to be 20/300 and end up 20/20 & 20/25. So many things changed for the better, for me it was as if I had sewed on some wings and could now fly. I still get halos, especially at night, but that's minor. Many people, when they get older, their nearsightedness improves. This is what happened to me and I am now farsighted. I started to wear glasses after 10 or 15 years, but can surf, snowboard and do a lot of other activities without glasses.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2015, 06:44:48 AM »
Thanks everybody.

Got the surgery May 19th @ 2:45 pm.  Probably took a total of 12 minutes.  Dr Manche did the procedure.

For about 3 hours afterwards it felt like I had Wasabi stuffed up my nose perpetually with a heat factor of 7.0 /10.0.

The drugs helped and I slept things off until 8 pm.  Could barely peek at the TV around 9 pm and never knew that Televisions were so clear.

Woke up the next morning and could see the alarm clock.  This was good.  Couldn't surf so I went and checked out the whale on the beach, careful to wear safety goggles so no spew would get in my eyes. 

During the Post Operation procedure I was given a 100% progress rating and my eyes were testing 20/10.  WOW!  BUT they said that things should get clearer and better over the next 3 weeks.  I'll take that.  Bring on the Chuck Yeager eyes.  In many ways this is like being reborn. 

Patient 45,001  8)   8)    8)    8)    8)    ;D
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 06:47:46 AM by Beasho »

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2015, 07:00:03 AM »
The big thing I remember was my field of view grew so much from the tunnel of glasses (never wore contacts), it was a lot to take in. A little sensory overload:)

Oh ya, It's about time!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 07:16:52 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2015, 07:51:18 AM »
All this talk of lasers makes me worry about the future of good old fashioned hand shaped lasik. I'll take the old skil planer method over your fancy lasers any day.

And don't get me started on eps/epoxy lenses. Poly let me see so much better.

Back in the day, surgeons in Columbia would slice off the front of your cornea, freeze it, put it in a cooler, and transport it by moped to a lab where it would be put on a lathe for reshaping with a pretty good success rate.

supthecreek

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2015, 10:32:04 AM »
Scary thing to cut a perfectly healthy eye.... glad you are able to see something as small as a whale so easily ;)

Great to hear you came thru with better vision and no issues !

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2015, 11:58:17 AM »
Great to hear it went well, enjoy seeing things much better now !! Wait til you go an Imax 3D movie you'll be amazed!!!
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2015, 07:25:45 PM »
That's great. My eyes are too far gone for the surgery, but I'm glad it's making a difference.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

jumpfrom13k

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2015, 10:32:33 PM »
Awesome that it went well.

I was looking into getting Lasik or PRK and I've gotten mixed opinions.

One co-worker of mine, can see very well far distance after the Lasik, but he can't see close stuff anymore, so he needs to wear reading glasses. Not that big of a deal, but I felt like trading one glasses for the other sounded not that smart, and certainly not worth the money.

The other guy that I knew, an avid skydiver, after his Lasik surgery whenever he goes up to altitude to jump, he gets severe dry eye, which he never experienced before, and it got so bad that he stopped jumping. He does have dry eye symptoms on the ground as well but it isn't so bad.

The other kid, who ended up getting PRK through Marine Corp, and he has perfect vision without any problem.

Oh, yeah, and I ended up watching Lasik and PRK video on Youtube and that definitely turned me away. I'm scared to go to dentist and this looked way worse.

anyways, I'm jealous of all of you who had successful surgery.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 10:36:00 PM by jumpfrom13k »

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2015, 05:01:24 AM »
nice beasho--glad it went well--i am the opposite of icky spoon--i am only slightly nearsighted (-1.0),and use weak reading glasses (1.0)when reading long stuff--so i dont feel a great need to improve matters--i am fine surfing without glasses--i ski with contacts, mostly because of flat light when it's snowing or overcast.

if i could restore my vision to perfect, i might do the procedure, but a doc friend once told me the margin of error for the procedure is nearly as wide as the flaws to my vision as it stands.....

there was some talk of poor lasik performance for high altitude climbers--as tho there was some effect based on the pressure differential--procedures improved and/or the talk was debunked--at this point, many climbers have had the procedure, climbed high, and report nothing but great, improved vision.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2015, 06:20:00 AM »
That's great. My eyes are too far gone for the surgery, but I'm glad it's making a difference.

How gone is gone? I never realized there was a cutoff, I guess I better make a decision soon.
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2015, 06:38:33 AM »

How gone is gone? I never realized there was a cutoff, I guess I better make a decision soon.

For anyone over 40 and showing signs of cataracts, Lasik would likely be a wasted step since the cataract surgery (replacing the inner lens) would also provide vision correction.   Also cataract surgery is at least partially covered by health insurance and only needs to be performed once.  It doesn't wear out like a knee joint, or regenerate a cataract later in life.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 06:53:34 AM by Bean »

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2015, 07:54:37 AM »
That's what my opthomologist said. I've got retinal holes plus mild glaucoma plus severe myopia (-13). Thank the gods for contact lenses. Those still work

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2015, 07:11:54 AM »
I did both cataracts in 2014 ..been wearing glasses since I about 7  ..on/near water since about 8yrs old ..sailed forever, even worked for SAIL mag in their early years and a couple of boat companies  ..Kited for over a decade  ..'simply burned up my naturals lens' ..and didn't wear sunglasses most the time. Glasses used to be very expensive. (F'ing monopolies)

I decided to keep the glasses even tho' I am blind as a bat w/o.  Soft contacts work great in the surf and are dirt cheap, so the last two decades have been OK. (even less if you photoshop someone else's script)  They do not work for closeups. Like my glasses I need to take them off/out to see fine stuff.  Another big upturn for me, glasses are finally cheap now with places like Zenni and 39Dollarglasses, so I have more pairs of glasses than shoes.

And, having an RN wife who reads every line of the info sheets on scripts, there's no way I'll accept the odds of something going sour ..if it's not really needed. 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal