Author Topic: Low Volume 12'6 Boards?  (Read 5366 times)

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Low Volume 12'6 Boards?
« on: April 03, 2015, 11:20:22 AM »
I'm in the market for a 12'6 board for flatwater. My weight fluctuates between 145-150+. I don't have the $$$ for a custom board, so I'm looking for production boards. I want something in the 200-220ltr volume and 26-28" wide. Seems like my options are very limited. I know Bark/Surftech, Coreban, and Amundson have some boards that fit my criteria. Can anyone here recommend some other options that I'm not aware of? I'd prefer to stay away from ultralight carbon boards. I'm not racing and prefer durability over performance. Thanks.
King's Type-S 14' | Soul Firestorm 8'9
ZRE Power Surge ZX4 80sq" | Kialoa Big Eddy
Larry Allison Dolphin Keel

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Low Volume 12'6 Boards?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 02:20:13 PM »
Hey 2Rivers,

I'm not officially w/ CCK anymore but I know they've got a few boards that would fit your bill. 

Amundson TR-27 @ 217L, they have the TR & the TR-X in stock.  Those are really nice boards IMO. 

And they still have a Hobie Flatwater 12'6 x 27.5 on sale for $200 off or possibly more :)

And if wanna kick it into turbo, the new production Hobie Apex 12'6 x 25.75 is an awesome board.  227L.  $1799 or thereabouts. 

The Rancho Cordova shop will be having a demo day on 4/18.  They'll have some specials, too, like a free board bag w/ any 2015 12'6 board & 20% off accessories.  I know they would love a chance to earn your business. 

I'm bummed I can't go, but I just moved to San Diego! 

LMK if there's anything I can do to help. 
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 04:34:03 PM »
Coreban Sonic
12'6" X 27" 202L
I have a discounted  Demo Board.

Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 02:27:19 PM »
I have a question for the expert zoners on here. I'm encountering some confusion on what I need to be focused on, so I'm hoping I can get some direction. I've been paddling on a 12'6x30" iSUP for just over 2 years now (paddling for 5 years+) and I'm now interested in getting a hard board for some better performance.

I know that I need something that's lower volume than what I have now due to my weight and what I'm looking to get out of my board. I started my search by using King's SUP volume calculator to get an idea of what I should be looking for and then I spent some time online researching board volumes and designs. I was able to compile a small list (about 5 boards) and now I'm trying to demo them to see which one is best for me. The boards I compiled are all around the same MSRP, have similar constructions, and are designed for mainly flat water applications.

So far I've demo'ed about three of the boards on my list, but I also demo'ed some others that were higher volume and now that's where the confusion has set in, I actually like one of the boards better that's higher volume at 240 liters. Is it the shape, the weight, what? It didn't seem lighter in comparison to the other boards. The shape is similar in dimensions, but I know that subtle differences in hull design can make a big difference, so maybe that's what I noticed. It just felt "right" in comparison to the other boards I demo'ed.

Now moving forward after this experience, I don't know what to be focused on. If I focus on only boards with dimensions of lets say 12'6x26", that opens up a lot more options (too many imo), but that adds more boards that are now above 220 liters. So my question is what to focus on, dimensions or volume? What's the most important factor here to help me narrow down my best options?

Btw- Since my original post, I've found that boards in the 26"-27" width seems like the sweet spot for me. Just going down from 28" was quite noticeable, so I'm no longer interested in a 28". I did try a custom 24" 404SUP for fun, but that was way too unstable for me.

Thanks!

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 02:56:15 PM »
I say get the board that feels right for YOU.  You've been paddling for a while so you can trust your instincts. 

In truth there is no perfect volume for someone based on their weight alone... it's more based on their weight, skill level, balance, paddling aspirations, etc.  There are people your size riding 300L boards because they don't want to get their feet wet! 

San Diego, CA

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 03:53:46 PM »
I just took a client out for a 12-6 demo.  She settled on the Amundson TR-27 (27" wide).  I tried it and we both noted that the board was quite low in the water and that at 170 lbs I could not get the board to trim appropriately.  However, it was quite a bit more stable than an SIC x-12 x 28".  Felt really locked in.  She ended up buying it.  Your post just brought this experience back to mind.  Check it it if you get a chance if you are looking for 12-6 in 26-27" wide and lower volume.

raf

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 08:12:15 AM »
I am 5'8" and weigh 145-150. Just pulled the trigger on a closeout Imagine Rocket 12'6" by 27" x 191 liters. Perfection in glass. Just a recreational trainer, CHEAP, and continuing to challenge my balance issues!

The small volume keeps the board lower in the water and it feels better than my Blade II  (selling), and my Marlin (sold).
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 07:05:37 PM »
I say get the board that feels right for YOU.
Love this quote! So I threw out the volume equation and switched my focus to boards that are 25.5"-27.5" wide. The refocus caused my list of options go from 6 boards to now about 18 (actually more, but several brands are not available to me). Here are all my options now...

404SUP - V3 PVC
Amundson - TR-X
Bark/Surftech - Contender
Bic - C-Tec Tracer
Blue Planet - Dark Horse
Boardworks - Eradicator
Boga - Typhoon Team
Coreban - Sonic Pure
Focus - Turbo Cali
Glide - GodSpeed
Hobie - Apex 4R & Elite Flatwater (2014)
Lahui Kai  - Team Race
Laird - LX Race
Lakeshore - Stealth
Riviera - RP
Starboard - Race 25.5 & All Star Turtle Bay

Wow! That's a lot of board options now, too many imo. Realistically I don't think I'll be able to demo all of these boards, so can anyone give me some feedback about what boards I should focus on and what I should drop, so I can further narrow down my list of options? Feedback like construction, performance, or the company can be helpful. So far I've demo'ed the Amundson, Bic, Coreban, and the Hobie Elite. The Bic has felt the best out of those. Thanks

« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 08:02:26 PM by 2Rivers »

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 09:57:00 PM »
Board paralysis!  Those Bic Tracers look awesome IMO, not a bad choice at all!  Bic doesn't get much love 'round here but personally I am a fan of their designs, constructions & general approach to the sport. 

Question - are you racing?  If that's not your main purpose, I'd steer clear of the super narrow boards like the Hobie Apex, Starboard Race (that thing is NOT stable), etc. etc.  They probably just won't be as pleasurable for your everyday paddles. 

Have you been able to demo the Focus Turbo Cali?  I know they were up in your neck of the woods recently...
San Diego, CA

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 12:30:53 PM »
Board paralysis!
Question - are you racing?  If that's not your main purpose, I'd steer clear of the super narrow boards like the Hobie Apex, Starboard Race (that thing is NOT stable), etc. etc.
Have you been able to demo the Focus Turbo Cali?
Yes... major board paralysis!
I'm not racing and I really don't have any interest in pursuing it at this time. I may do a rec-race for fun, but that would be about it. I have to agree that boards in the sub 26" range could be pushing it. At this point it's more about curiosity. I don't know if I'd like a 26" (or less) board until I can try some out. I know I don't want a 24" board, but maybe I'd like a 26" better than a 27" if it feels right. Fortunately there only 4 boards that are 26" on my list. The Focus was one of them, but I missed their demo day. :( 
I just got word that there's a race going on in Tahoe this weekend. I'm currently making arrangements to go meet up with some of the reps and test some boards. This will be my best chance to demo several of the boards on my list all at the same time. I looking forward to it!

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 03:19:10 PM »
My 2013 12'6" x 26" All Star is listed at 221l, very stable and pretty quick.  One reason for the superb stability is because it's really 27.25" (soon to be on Craigslist)  The 2014 All Star 25.5" and 26.5" are a bit quicker because one, they're narrower, but they also have a bit of twitch.  Ditto for the 2015s.  The Lahui Kai 12'6" x 26" is also low volume and is the All Star follow up from Brian S.  These should all be at the top of your list.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill