Author Topic: Board buying advice please.  (Read 4985 times)

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Board buying advice please.
« on: September 12, 2007, 10:09:06 AM »
I’ve been paddling for a little over one month on a beginner board and am thinking about getting a ‘real’ board. I weigh about 175, 5’10” and want a board mainly for surfing and occasional cruising. I will mostly be surfing the Sunset Cliffs area and here is my dilemma.  The launch site is a rocky climb and quite tricky at high tide and I think it would be easier and safer with some sort of carrying strap. I’ve beat up my board a bit already and limited when I launch. Also, I do a bit of windsurfing and think having a mast track would be a fun addition. If I found a board with a mast track, I could probably jury-rig some type of carrying strap.
So here are my questions….Any suggestions on SUP’s with mast tracks? Can I order a SOS Big Blue or a C4 with a mast track? Should I go the custom route with a mast track & carry strap added? If I bought a glass board without a mast track, could one be added?

Thanks in advance

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Board buying advice please.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 10:51:41 AM »
I think www.surfingsports.com orders SOS boards from the factory with mast tracks, even though SOS doesn't support mast tracks in their boards. I guess the guy does enough sales they accommodate him. SOS dealers receive boards direct from Asia anyway, so it probably works for them. No distribution system with SOS.

My buddie bought a SUP with mast track. Before he bought it, I told him about the stoke he would soon feel for paddles. The paddle love that would soon overcome him. He tried it once with a sail. Paddles are addicting. Some may disagree, but think long and hard about it. Many more good boards are out there if you forget the sail. I would never put a sail on mine.

Regarding handles, when I started I thought handles would be great and when I got my board (without handles) I struggled to deal with the beast. Now I don't understand why it was so hard for me back then. I have figured out the secrets to handling the board with ease over any distance or terrain.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 10:55:29 AM by DW »

climbbikesurf

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 11:46:42 AM »
This doesn't help your question about buying a board but when I carry my SUP, I use the Stick Schlepper.  You can find it on http://www.muletransportsystems.com/the_stick_schlepper.html.  It works out well for me but since you have a rocky climb you may have to lift it to clear obstacles.

My SUP is a 12' soft top and it is 26" wide so if you have a wider board, it may not work.  I can check how much is left on the straps for wider boards if you want.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 01:40:09 PM »
Thanks for the answers. Maybe I can explain my launch site a little better. There is a 100 step stairway down the cliff to the launch site. I carry my board & paddle over my head & this works ok. The bottom of the stairs ends on a rock. At tides over 6 ft, the water is right even with the top and with tide over 4 feet, you can jump in with your board in between sets (hopefully). Getting out is the tricky part here. At tides less than 3 foot; you need to climb down the rock holding on to your board. This is the usual situation and this is where I think a handle would help.
Re-sailing. I’m sure I would use the board 90% of the time for standup paddling, but often times there is more wind than what would be comfortable paddling, but not enough wind to sail a performance sailboard. I just don’t want all those waves to go unridden.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 02:10:38 PM »
Thanks for the answers. Maybe I can explain my launch site a little better. There is a 100 step stairway down the cliff to the launch site. I carry my board & paddle over my head & this works ok. The bottom of the stairs ends on a rock. At tides over 6 ft, the water is right even with the top and with tide over 4 feet, you can jump in with your board in between sets (hopefully). Getting out is the tricky part here. At tides less than 3 foot; you need to climb down the rock holding on to your board. This is the usual situation and this is where I think a handle would help.
Re-sailing. I’m sure I would use the board 90% of the time for standup paddling, but often times there is more wind than what would be comfortable paddling, but not enough wind to sail a performance sailboard. I just don’t want all those waves to go unridden.

Tom, some of my best days paddle surfing are in high winds. I've learned about down winders  ;D Sick fun. A strong side shore wind stabilizes me, then I drift parallel to shore searching the horizon for the monster sets.  ;D

I've skipped several high wind kitesurfing sessions for paddling. Some of my friends think I've gone mad. If they only knew the fun I was having.

My technique for hauling my board around is to bend my elbow to form a Vee shaped board carrying saddle with my arm. Then rest the bottom of the board on my shoulder and side of head. Hand lays flat on the deck pad. I have excellent control of the board and only need one hand. The other is free for the paddle or to help the balance when I climbed over the jetty.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 02:13:09 PM by DW »

MichaelF

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 03:17:01 PM »
Tom, launching at the CLiffs is a challenge even a with a hand grip in the middle.  I have done both High and low tide, both are a pain and almost impossible not to knock around.   When you master the technique down the rocks, I'll follow and watch. 

I think this will be one of the reasons that stand up will always be a challenge at the cliffs.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 07:40:49 AM »
DW,  Do you carry the paddle on the same side as your board?

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 07:55:59 AM »
My technique for hauling my board around is to bend my elbow to form a Vee shaped board carrying saddle with my arm. Then rest the bottom of the board on my shoulder and side of head. Hand lays flat on the deck pad.

I go with a similar technique, but with a twist.  I have the board fin up, so that the deck pad is on my shoulder and head (more traction on the shoulder and more comfy for my head).  Then when you get in the water, just unroll your arm and the board is right side up.  I keep my paddle in the other hand.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 09:22:22 AM »
DW,  Do you carry the paddle on the same side as your board?

I usually carry the paddle in my free hand. Although sometimes I pinch it under the hand holding the deck.

I've tried Rand's method too, with pad against my shoulder. Right now I prefer the pad facing out so my open flat hand is against the pad, providing good grip and control over the board. With the slippery bottom of the board against my shoulder, I feel it is easier for me to shift the balance point as I walk or encounter wind. When I tried the pad against my shoulder, shifting the board around took 2 hands and was harder, plus my diamond pattern pad rubbed a rash on my shoulder. I just feel more in control with my hand against the pad, instead of against the slippery bottom.

alap

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 11:25:52 AM »
I'd like to second DW on the mast track Q. I ordered my board from Infinity last January and I ordered it with masttrack. Windsurfing is my sport #1 and it was inconceivable for me to get a board without one.

What it turned out to be: I never used masttrack and I don't think I ever will. If there is enough wind, I'll use one of my windsurfing boards for real windsurfing. If the wind is light, I dont want even bother to carry sail, boom, mast..... to rig, derig, etc.,

SUP paddling and windsurfing don't overlap, IMHO, and this is a beauty for me. If there is enough reliable wind - windsurfing! Otherwise - SUP with a paddle. My second board will be without a masttrack.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal