Author Topic: SUP Rack for Garage  (Read 22970 times)

ROBB

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
SUP Rack for Garage
« on: March 21, 2015, 03:44:18 PM »
Hey looking to get rack to hold 2 surfboards, 2 AST Epoxy SUPs race boards, and   3 All Carbon SUP race boards which are kinda fragile for my garage.  A wall rack prob the best.  Can't seem to find anything online and I'm not very handy building things.  Would love any feedback and suggestions.  Thanks Rob

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: SUP Rack for Garage
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 05:21:00 PM »
Contact SURFWORKSUSA ask for Frank and he will take care of you.  I had him do a wall rack for me and it is first class

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 06:33:00 PM »
You don't need to be real handy to build a rack. All depends on how pretty it needs to be. A couple of  4 x 4's screwed to the framing with some 3/4" steel pipe drilled into it and some pipe insulation and your done. 1 1/2" PVC pipe and fittings works too....just cut the pipe to the lengths you need and glue it together. Just make sure whatever rack you end up with that its well secured to the framing.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 07:14:55 PM »
If you can find a buddy with a welder, you can make a bomber rack pretty cheaply and quickly.  This is just 1 1/2" square tubing welded to 1 1/2" channel. A little spray paint, couple of lag bolts, and some pipe insulation and your done.

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 08:16:13 PM by SaMoSUP »

johnrg

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 03:59:55 PM »
http://www.storeyourboard.com/double-sup-home-rack/

Just installed these in my garage to hold 2 SIC Maui 14 footers and anything else. The racks are great. Good padding, removable arms and arms can be rotated to offer different angles. Pin lock so easy to add/remove/adjust an arm while holding board on the rack. I like the 27" arms as I don't need to set the boards against the wall. What I didn't like was the strength of the supplied screws. I pre drilled into the studs and then power screwed the screws most of the way, then used a ratchet to snug down. 2 of the 4 broke off inside the wall. replaced them with blue masonry screws with one size smaller hex head. Worked great. For the price, worth it since you get variable positioning and a good solid design.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 04:27:57 PM »
I just hang mine on edge with two soft ropes. I have a 4" long piece of foam (pipe insulation) taped around the rope right where the edge of the board bears on it. I have a couple of hooks  into the rafters about 6' apart. I hang one board above the other on separate ropes. I tied a loop on one end so I can easily unhook one loop and slide the board out of the other loop. The foam holds a gap so when I rehang it, I can just slide the nose of the board through the loop that's still attached. Then I grab the open loop/ rope that is hanging and hook it up around the board. Both boards hang just inches off the wall of my shed. No bars sticking out and out of the way.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 06:57:07 PM »
Check out Suspenz, too.  They have kayak and paddle board racks.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 08:41:23 AM »
Here's my cheap hang. Works great. Boards drip dry.
It's not overhead to me!

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 10:37:27 AM »
If you can find a buddy with a welder, you can make a bomber rack pretty cheaply and quickly.  This is just 1 1/2" square tubing welded to 1 1/2" channel. A little spray paint, couple of lag bolts, and some pipe insulation and your done.

Funny, those look an awful lot like the windsurf stacking racks that I left behind back in Hood River JP4....just another thing I wish I'd brought with me now. Well, whatever, maybe you did weld those up but the resemblance is uncanny.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 12:24:03 PM »

A simple rolling rack I made a few months ago. Should have used pipe for the cross arms, but I had these wood curtain rods that Diane got me to replace with fancier stuff. You have to watch out how you use them since they are finger jointed to reduce scrap. You can see where one broke off on the top left when the finger joint was at the post. Not a great thing for a rack to do. Other than that, I really like this rack, lots of capacity and I can roll it into the garage when we leave.

I wonder why dropbox pictures don't display here. Is it an SSL problem??
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 12:31:06 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

amheckSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 12:50:25 PM »
Any idea how much that steel tubing and track would cost to build two of the 2-3 board racks to hang on the wall?  Assuming I can find someone on craigslist to weld, just curious how the price of the materials would cost vs some of the pre-fab stuff.
Starboard 2015 Elite Touring 14'
JL Blade II
-------------------------------------
Ke Nalu XTUF Maliko
QB Kanaha FG

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 12:57:43 PM »
Steel prices vary hugely with your location and sources. In Portland I'd go to the surplus yards and buy that material for less than 50 bucks. Here in Maui it would be triple that. I salvage steel from all kinds of stuff here in Maui, I don't bother much in Portland.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 01:56:37 PM »
Here is a simple DIY steel wall mount rack that you don't need to weld. Kinda pricey @ $30. ea. , but very universal. I put pipe insulation around it for storing boards. These are in just about every other garage in our town including mine.

Make sure you get into a stud. I strongly recommend you use at least (2)  #12 wood screws or 1/8 lag bolts. I just use the top and bottom holes. Use 3" long fasteners at a least, so you get a minimum  2" embedment into the wood stud through the drywall (if any). 

« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 02:04:27 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 02:05:51 PM »
The iron pipe and floor flange system is about the easiest. Requires almost no mechanical ability. I have a pull up bar I built using that system. Just get a couple floor flanges, screw them to a 2X6 at whatever spacing you want, then screw that 2X6 to with a pair of long wood screws at each stud you hit.

I am pretty pathetic, I have a 1800 sf shop, and 0sf of empty wall space. Sometimes I wonder how I got so much "stuff".
Make paddleboarding great again!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal