Author Topic: Applying RSPro Rail Tape  (Read 19964 times)

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Applying RSPro Rail Tape
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2019, 02:43:16 PM »
Have any of you thought of taping your paddle shaft instead of the rails on your board? I use this (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017MGPLS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) around the edges of my paddle blade and then I also run a couple of strips about 13” up each side of the shaft from the top of the blade. Works great to protect the edge of my board. I never bother using rail tape anymore. I’m not much of a rail banger to start with, and it’s also true that I don’t paddle in the same kind of conditions as some of you, as I’m mostly a flat water paddler. But when my paddle does hit the rail on my board, this stuff works great. And to give credit where it is due, it was A10 who first put me onto this. It obviously won’t protect the rails from dropping the board, etc., but if it’s just paddle strikes you are concerned about, this might be another way to go. It really is good stuff.

This is a great idea!  I think I’ll tape my rails because it’s quite likely I’ll set my board down on gravel or concrete at some point.  Sure would be easier to do the paddle, though.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2019, 02:48:46 PM »
I just applied RsPro to a new board, maybe the 4th one I've done. It went on perfectly, no air bubbles at all.   
Use water to apply and just take it easy, I get it onto the apex of the rail then squeegee out the water to the edges.  If an edge won't immediately stick, just hold it down for a minute.   Yes, it's more expensive than helicopter tape but in my mind well worth the extra.

Did you use soapy water, or plain water?

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2019, 02:51:45 PM »
JL gets his tape in bulk from findtape.com.  I don‘t know which specific tape he gets, but he’s sending me 14’ of it.

That would probably be the helicopter tape or some other version of it:
https://www.findtape.com/ISC-Helicopter-OG-Outdoor-Grade-Surface-Guard-Tape/p173/?tid=21

I've used this one before as well. SIC in their Maui shop also sell these, $40 for two strips of 6'.

How much for Jimmy's tape?

He's charging $2/foot.

That's a real bargain! Pretty much half the price of the RSpro and coming from him you can be
certain it's the real deal. If by any chance you have some excess try using it as blade guard.

Here is a video where he shows how to install rail tape, in case you haven't seen it:
https://youtu.be/SR3Syu6NMlA

Thanks, Burchas!  I watched a few of his videos.  I probably only need 6 feet per side, so good idea about the blade guard.  I’m not looking forward to doing the board, but since everyone says the tape is removable, there’s not much that can go wrong.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2019, 03:05:06 PM »
I don't know if anyone is looking forward to it, I never do. Take your time with it, when the surface is very wet it's easier to take out the bubbles.
Just make sure you do it in a place with least amount of particles, makes life easier and allows you to take your time with it. Good Luck!
in progress...

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2019, 04:54:48 PM »
I put that door guard on paddles not so much to protect the board rail from marks, but to protect the edge of the paddle.

And when applying the tape, helpful to wash your hands beforehand, to prevent fingerprints on tape; and spray your fingers with the soapy water to prevent sticking.  Also helpful if you have a second pair of hands, when peeling the paper backing and setting the tape on the rail. 

« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 04:57:26 PM by Dusk Patrol »
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2019, 09:48:17 PM »
Yes. Tape board. Tape paddle.

I cannot understand people who do not tape their paddle. At the very least use electrical tape on the paddle. Despite what some people might claim, it does not impact upon the paddle’s performance. But it does prolong the life of the paddle, prolong the life of your board (possibly even more than rail tape does), and it also protects your body against the odd inadvertent bash that sometimes happens in the heat of the moment when SUPing. If you catch your foot or shins with an untaped  blade when changing hands, it can be very painful. There are often the odd occasions where you may be paddling in shallow water and you might catch the blade on something like a rock, or you for some reason need to use your paddle to push off from something, or to lean on it with the blade in contact with the ground, or mud or shingle or whatever, and then you’ll be glad for the tape, so you aren’t grinding your expensive blade upon the ground.

A couple of layers of the quality 3M vehicle door edge protector is ideal. But even just cheap electrical tape is better than nothing. Or, of course, RS Pro will sell you some super-expensive blade protection tape... which is basically pretty much exactly the same as the 3M door edge protector, only a little wider. But it also comes in lengths that are too short to cover the entire blade. Which is a bit dim, in my view, for something so expensive.

I also run a bit of tape for a few inches up the shaft of my paddle, away from the blade. This protects the board and paddle shaft from contact with each other. After all, when paddling it’s usually the shaft not the blade edge that is whacking the rail.

surfsupla

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2019, 07:17:58 PM »
I taped my very first paddle. Was a decent carbon fiber focus adjustable. Ever since I have not taped my paddles nor my rails. In fact I got a board with rail tape on it from a buddy and I took it off. Just dont care for it. I dont use my paddle as a cane on the rocks though. If I did I would use the handle. The only time my paddle chipped was when my then 6 year old son was fencing his buddy with it. But I sanded it down a tad and was good to go. QB and hippostick both have the ability to do that. And if I break a paddle it would be a good excuse to get a new one. lol. I got so many factors against me in the ocean, just figure dont need to add one more.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2019, 04:57:26 AM »
You’d never notice any difference in performance with either rail tape or taping the paddle blade. If you do feel a difference, it’s in your head. In fact, RSPro might even make some boards faster (although the difference would be so small that I doubt you could measure it accurately enough to detect it).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal