Author Topic: Applying RSPro Rail Tape  (Read 19959 times)

ford

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Applying RSPro Rail Tape
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2016, 06:32:48 PM »
This thread helped me apply my RSPro today. Just finished about thirty minutes ago.

It is warm here in Texas so I laid it out on my car about an hour before applying... it was pretty pliable by the time I was ready to put it on.

Put my lime green SupATX Scout board on some saw horses....

Went to find my masking or painters tape... none to be found...

Went to find my hard rubber/plasticy squeegee I bought over the weekend... oops left it in my wife's car which is now five hours away at her parents.

At this point you would think I might decide to wait for another day... NOPE. Found a hard plastic putty knife and got to work.

Examined the rails closely... figured out my starting point with the help of some graphics to guide me that are on the top of the board.

The first side took me about twenty five minutes. The first attempt had way too many bubbles... so I peeled off the very front slowly... putting the RSPro end on the putty knife and peeling it off... no problem with the finish. Reapplied... much better. Did the same thing with the back end.

It wasn't perfect but I stepped back a few feet and it looked just fine. The second side when on in about ten minutes... and that was with me really being careful, so I improved a lot. There were very few bubbles on that size, though there is one dead nat that was applied. I tried pulling him off, but no good. Just looks like a tiny dark spot near the front.

I used the plastic putty knife to apply a few inches to the widest point of the rail then smoothed out the bottom and top from the middle. I used the rounded handle of a plastic paint brush to smooth it out and that worked great.

I didn't use water except to clean the rails before applying, but I dried them afterward.

I've already ordered some more for my board arriving this week. I'll be much more confident this time.

LeeBee

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2016, 07:04:23 PM »
Having done it several times, you want to apply it wet so you can squeegee out the bubbles. Water and a little soap or about 10% isopropanol both work, but I prefer the alcohol. You can buy it at the drugstore. The key is to be sure the solution wets the surface of the rail. Be sure to stretch the tape out starting at the middle as you pull it out. Be sure it is warm out (over 70 F.)
They have a good You Tube video showing you how. You will like the product. I also also use the paddle guard edging, you need to stretch it quite a bit so the inside edge of a curve does not wrinkle.
The rail tape works great on the catch area of a surf ski or kayak, and for under your heels on the bottom to minimize scratching.
2019 Mistral Stealth 17' 6" x 24"
2019 Mistral Interceptor 17' 6" x 24"
2017 NSP Ninja 14' x 25"
2016 JP Australia All-Around 11' 8" x 31"
Stellar S16S surf ski
Kai Barton ARES OC-1 outrigger canoe

sxrracer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2016, 05:10:34 PM »
I had no problem applying it dry..

It only took a few minutes to do..

If I do another board I might try the water thing and see how that goes..

Aside from ease of installation.  That video was awesome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2016, 06:01:17 PM »
Continue to pick up tips and tricks.....I applied wet first go but will definitely try dry next time....

And Freaking-A DJ, those ride lengths are just ridiculous......Song selection of Led Zep's "Going to California", which is an amazing tune in its own right, has me thinking more "Going Down Under"

8) 8) 8) 8)
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2016, 07:28:56 PM »
This is how we apply the RS pro tape at Blue Planet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYZF8uFwmos
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

ford

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2016, 02:31:25 PM »
I did my second board yesterday with the jumbo clear tape.

It is super easy on a bigger touring style board where the rails have less curve. I finished in about twenty minutes for both sides and that was really taking my time. Very few bubbles at all.

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2019, 01:16:59 PM »
This is how we apply the RS pro tape at Blue Planet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYZF8uFwmos

Hey Robert:
That video says wet wont work on RS pro. But RS pro says it is ok. Did they cahnge the formulation?

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2019, 09:55:18 PM »
did a dry application of Extreme RSPRO
easy! only two bubbles. just go slow, a warm day helps

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2019, 05:17:00 AM »
More than one way to skin a cat as they say.

Did another RSP install on my SMIK.

Bring it inside. Crank up the heat. Warm soapy water spray one side, spray the RSP, tape the end near the
schnozz. And play with it. It looks like you have made a horrible mistake as it won't stick at all.

Slowly I turned, step by step, inch by inch, Niagara Falls.

Starts to stick, but floating. All of a sudden it's in place. No bubbles, no lumps, and still moveable. Boom !

Repeat for the other side. No one in the world would admit to doing it this way!

But it absolutely works! Never a bubble and you can adjust and mess with the rocker line to your
heart's content!

Even trimmed the end so the hipster plaid wouldn't get covered!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 05:29:37 AM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2019, 05:24:31 AM »
OK BIGGIE! ill try it wet next time already....

just did my new starby dry--i still think that there is benefit to tensioning the tape to conform to the rocker shape--and my starby came out perfectly--just saying

what swings me to try wet, tho, is biggies description of the tape as floating around for a bit, then slowly adhering, such that it can be adjusted, bubble free, to good final position--ok already ill try it

need another new board..............

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2019, 05:40:50 AM »
I am going to have to redo mine when it is warm. I got my son and a friend to do it indoors back around Christmas and they got it pretty well centered but slightly high. I have some paddle marks below it from the maiden voyage. I got a new paddle also and didn't control it well first time out.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2019, 03:28:03 PM »
Where on the jumbo tape is the RSPro logo?  I don‘t want to cover my board’s logos.

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2019, 04:54:47 PM »
most of the way on the back.

by  the way, i did mine dry this time and it was easy. just take your time. squeegee as you go from center wide point. i had like 2 bubbles small on each side and used a pin to pop em

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2019, 05:15:17 PM »
Where on the jumbo tape is the RSPro logo?  I don‘t want to cover my board’s logos.

That's a lot of money to become a billboard. Another option is to go with Helicopter tape:
double the material, various widths to choose from, really clear with no logos and cheaper.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BZWRIY/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I use it on all my boards. Soap water wet application you don't even notice it's there.
in progress...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2019, 05:17:22 PM »
The clear jumbo rail tape has only one logo, which isn’t that big. You can put the logo towards the front of the board or towards the back. So you’d be unlucky for it to clash irretrievably with the board’s logo.

https://www.rspro.org/collections/sup-rail-protection/products/clear-jumbo-rspro

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal