Author Topic: Applying RSPro Rail Tape  (Read 19961 times)

bing

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Applying RSPro Rail Tape
« on: March 18, 2015, 09:18:49 PM »
What is the best way to apply RSPro rail tape ?  I have applied other brands of rail tape on my boards using a squirt bottle
with water and a little soap and apply the soap solution on the rail and the tape.  Do you use the same method for
RSPro tape ?  Or do you apply it dry ?

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Applying RSPro Rail Tape
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 10:48:24 PM »
I had no problem applying it dry..

It only took a few minutes to do..

If I do another board I might try the water thing and see how that goes..

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 11:56:50 PM »
Another great Vid from DJ! I also applied mine dry. Helps to have someone help you though if possible so that one person focuses on positioning the tape and holding the end that is still to be stuck down in the right position while the other person focuses on applying the tape and sticking it down to ensure no wrinkles or bubbles.
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 12:25:53 AM »
I haven't bothered with the water, soap and squeegee approach because RSPro is easy to get where you want it dry, and if you screw up, you just pull it up and do it again. I don't know what the heck they use for adhesive, but it's great stuff. If you get the end screwed up with your fingerprints so it won't stick, you just push it down a few times and it starts sticking. Pretty soon it's stuck down as well as the rest of the tape.

Great video, and that tape makes a good looking board even better. After seeing your board the first time I bought three rolls of that black and white. I think my SIC Bullet 17V1 is going to have black and white soon. the gelcoat isn't adhering to the primer, so its coming up in big flakes. SIC is fixing it, but I think the tape is going to be ruined unless I can pick off the gelcoat pieces. If it is, I'm going for the black and white even though I have a spare roll of the red.

I know it sounds silly to be worried about railsaver tape, but I really like the fact that I've never had to throw away any of it. Even when I've sold or given away a board, I take the tape off and put it on another board. If this tape gets trashed my "record" will be trashed too.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 12:33:09 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 03:10:21 AM »
Air temperature and humidity makes a big difference. I think Pono and Dj applied their tape on a warm day when the tape and glue is more pliable.

I put mine on in my very dry 70 degree living room in winter using the water method and it wasn't easy. A lot also depends on how much rocker the tape has to conform to. My 9'2 Stun Gun has a lot of rocker for a six foot piece of tape. I think it would have been easier on a warm summer day.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 03:12:33 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

gladwell4

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 04:56:57 AM »
Put RSP on my carbon starboard this week  and went with the dry method after watching DavidJohnʻs video. Went on nice and easy, pulled right into the rocker of the board no problem. good stuff. It was 70 and dry outside.
Kings Crossover - Custom
Starboard Whopper Extra
Starboard Avanti Carbon
Kaholo 14

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 05:06:39 AM »
I had always used the soapy warm water method on my helicopter tape applications.

With the RSP I put it on dry on my SIC and had no issues at all because of the unique characteristic that you can mess with it as it is going on dry..
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 05:30:01 AM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

standuped

• Sunset Status
  • Zapotocky family values
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 05:18:17 AM »
It may be the "Glue" on rail tape is similar to Paint Protective Film.  I have used this product before and found this video helpful.  You have a "slip" solution and a "tack" solution.  May be TMI for some but here FYE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY_Rd6xur_I
Florida gear.. Bic 12'x31"~207L.. JP Fusion 10'8"x34"~190L..Angulo custom 9'6"x33"~160L.. SIC Fish 9'5"x29.6"~145L..Epic gear elite paddle~7"x75"..Oregon gear..JP Fusion#2..Foote Triton 10'4"x34"~174L.. Surftec Generator 10'6"x32.3"~167L..Kialoa Pipes 6 3/8"x75"...Me 6'1" 220 lbs circa 1959

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 05:22:54 AM »
i apply dry

with no issues

outstanding product
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

amheckSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 06:21:19 AM »
I used a spray bottle with water, per the RSP web site, and didn't find it able to be moved around after I put it on.  I ended up just lifting off one end and putting it back on, like everyone else, and it went fine in the end.
Starboard 2015 Elite Touring 14'
JL Blade II
-------------------------------------
Ke Nalu XTUF Maliko
QB Kanaha FG

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 06:37:44 AM »
dry, no issues with the curves, great product
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 11:52:35 AM »
I just tried a wet application and found it to be a lot more difficult to follow curves. So much so that I wiped off the water and started over. The ability to stick the tape down and fiddle to get the curve right is a big deal. The only time I'd probably use water would be if I was putting RSPro on a board with a flaky rail that might come up during repositioning. Otherwise I think dry gives more control.

I always use the water method for applying big vinyl stickers and graphics, but I think it's counterproductive with RSPro.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfk9

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 03:48:05 PM »
I've done about 5 boards with RSP using the dry method, no problems.  Repositioned the RSP on my 14' board after one year, no problem.  Bought a new board and the shop applied the RSP using the soapy water, squeegee method.  Turned out so bad, after several weeks I couldn't stand it, ordered new RSP and put it on the dry method, no problem.

bing

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 08:03:36 PM »
This rail tape sounds great.  I will put it on dry.  Just purchased a new Bark D2 and will be putting RSPro on it right away.  It will be arriving in a couple of days. The temps in Seattle haven't gotten to 70 degrees F yet but  try it anyway.  Thanks everyone for the input.  Great video DJ.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 08:45:11 PM »
This rail tape sounds great.  I will put it on dry.  Just purchased a new Bark D2 and will be putting RSPro on it right away.  It will be arriving in a couple of days. The temps in Seattle haven't gotten to 70 degrees F yet but  try it anyway.  Thanks everyone for the input.  Great video DJ.

You can put it where you want it and run a hair dryer over it to heat it up a bit, press it on and get all the bubbles out. That's works just as well if not better than warm weather.  I used the hair dryer to stick on a different type of thin rail tape that just wouldn't stay down on the edges.  The hair dryer heated it enough to make the glue interface viscous and it hasn't budged or come unstuck since.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal