Author Topic: Kite buggy  (Read 7350 times)

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Kite buggy
« on: March 03, 2015, 01:21:24 PM »
Ok this is not SUP related or even windsurfing related.  Sort of kiteboard related I guess.  Anyway, anyone here every kite buggy or land sail?  I  never have but it looks addictingly  fun. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOKZPE_PEzM

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Kite buggy
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 02:28:16 PM »
Yup. One of those kinda fun until you hit the sand real hard variety of things. I had two sandsurfers--both of the stand up windsurfer style. The first was a french thing, long wooden plank shaped like a gun with wide-set bicycle wheels that were probably 16 inches. The trucks looked like monster skateboard stuff. I sailed it with old windsurfing sails. Manzanita beach is very wide at low tide and very long--from Neahkahnie Mountain to the Nahelem Jetty. Fun place to sandsurf. I'd blow past people cruising on their bicycles at warp speed. But it put me in a sling twice. So there's that.

I still have my second one: An off-road skateboard with fatter tires so you can actually surf dunes--sort of. I put a mast base up on the nose and hooked the brakes to the sail boom. Brakes on one of these things is a big plus. I replaced the rim brakes with discs on all four wheels. Turn out that locked up slides are a lot of fun, especially if you do it on about an inch or so of water. I also learned if I get the speed and angle right I can run the thing right into the water and keep sailing--for a little while. It's fun, but it's a lot of fiddling and maintenance afterwards
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

lunchbox

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 08:24:30 PM »
I got a few buggies and tons of kites. I'm totally hooked. SUSing is probably my first love but kiting is definitely second.

I kitesurf in the ocean but what I really love about buggying and landboarding for that matter is the fact that you don't need a lot of wind to get moving and it's a pretty fast setup and breakdown. I'm using fixed bridle kites when I do this and the power they generate is truly amazing.

From the spring to the fall I'm going to a local dirt field during my lunch hour and blasting along and doing powerslides, 180's and 360's. My top speed is only 30mph but when you're butt is just a few inches off the ground, it sure feels a lot faster. I think the world record right now for buggying is just over 82mph or something like that..sick, sick, sick!!!

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 08:38:49 PM »
That's wild! It looks like super Mario kart when they guy in  black filming from his buggy comes around on the other buggy a about 3 minutes into the video. I was half expecting him to fire a tortoise shell at the other driver! :-)

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 06:03:00 AM »
SPEED!!   

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 06:05:54 AM »
Land/mountain boards would certainly bring the kiteboarding experience, bat at this stage of my life I don't like falling and getting injured as much as I used to.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 07:20:39 AM »
I used to land surf with a windsurf rig in a place called Lytham St Anne's near Blackpool in England. It was the perfect low wind alternative to windsurfing short boards. The sands there at low tide were flat and would go out 2 miles at low tide. I'd walk my board with full rig up a couple of blocks from where I lived to the beach and then head out. I even managed to sail it back down the street once. It was great for practicing duck jibes in slow mo. Just so much faster. Falling off was not fun though. I never used a harness for that reason.
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 07:38:34 AM »
I have a couple of kite buggys, there good fun to have in the van when your on a surf trip as a back up toy but they have the tendency to scare the crap out of you prity often! the acceleration is crazy and there's nothing worse than traveling at about 30mph and suddenly seeing a huge area of those sand pot holes covering the beach in front of you when your ass is laterally 1" off the ground! still it a good rush and make you feel alive if you manage to walk back to the van un injured.  :)

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 08:31:31 AM »
I have a couple of kite buggys, there good fun to have in the van when your on a surf trip as a back up toy but they have the tendency to scare the crap out of you prity often! the acceleration is crazy and there's nothing worse than traveling at about 30mph and suddenly seeing a huge area of those sand pot holes covering the beach in front of you when your ass is laterally 1" off the ground! still it a good rush and make you feel alive if you manage to walk back to the van un injured.  :)

So what do you think is scarier?  A land board or a buggy?

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 10:26:20 AM »

i had a land board for a short while with a windsurf sail, i never used it with a kite and after watching people use land boards im happy to stick with the buggy's for a few reason. im not sure whats scarier personally the thought of having my knee reconstructed again scares me quite a lot so the idea of having feet in straps and getting twisted up on the land scares me most. I think you are probably are safer in a buggy all you have to remember is you can always let go and kill the power and turn pretty sharp to stop as long as you have kill cords on.

lunchbox

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 12:58:50 PM »

For me, it's a landboard. When I landboard, I'm jumping and rarely just cruising around and I'm using kites like the Flexifoil Blade and Peter Lynn Voltage that can really spank you if you're not careful and especially if you're flying in higher winds. Because I'm getting older and don't want to get hurt, I try to minimize the risks by only landboarding in lighter winds. Still with these kites, once you go up you never really know how far it's going to be.

In the buggy I can kite in stronger wind. The kites I use are less lifty and you can hold down a lot more power in a buggy (IMHO)...you can also turn into a gust more quickly and minimize the chance of getting an OBE or getting stuck in the straps.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 09:36:37 PM »
I'd never use straps on a sandsurfer. My first board didn't have them, it just had serrated wooden strips on the rails to keep your feet from sliding. When you got really hooked up with a 5 meter sail it was barely enough, but good for bailing.

My current board had straps, but I took them off and covered the deck with a glued down yoga pad. I don't use a harness either--just ironman it. Still got hurt, but not too bad. Shouldn't have tried to jump it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 07:27:10 AM »
We kite buggy here in NJ down in Wildwood (HUGE BEACHES)
fast technical even in sand kinda dangerous

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

diveChick

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 07:57:33 PM »
Wow! That looks soooo cool!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal