Author Topic: Does Puerto Rico have any fun, consistent, uncrowded spots for SUP surfing?  (Read 11986 times)

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
I was wondering if there are any surf spots in Puerto Rico that have fun, consistent and uncrowded waves where the locals are friendly to SUP surfers?
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
No one sup surfs in PR, eh?

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
Friends are over there now to regular surf. I can ask them when they get back...
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
I was wondering if there are any surf spots in Puerto Rico that have fun, consistent and uncrowded waves where the locals are friendly to SUP surfers?
Plenty of places, where will you stay? I surf around the San Juan area.
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'
Other tools for mental and physical sanity not mentioned

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
I'm not sure yet but I'm thinking of going and staying for a while. Perhaps you can help me please.  :)

I was wondering what areas on PR are good for living that include ALL of the following...
- Good, consistent, uncrowded waves (locals, if any, are friendly to sup surfing).
- Fast reliable internet.
- Safe.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 06:39:02 PM by magentawave »

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
I'm not sure yet but I'm thinking of going and staying for a while. Perhaps you can help me please.  :)

I was wondering what areas on PR are good for living that include ALL of the following...
- Good, consistent, uncrowded waves (locals, if any, are friendly to sup surfing).
- Fast reliable internet.
- Safe.

I'll be happy to help !

Good, consistent and uncrowded waves:

Our surfing season is waning. Last week we had an OH day with glassy conditions. This weekend has been light side offshores on smaller sets, still with a longer period. Haven't been able to surf, though...sigh... :'(.

This is my best local real time reference for general surf/wind conditions with links to NOAA for tides/other info:

http://www.caricoos.org/drupal/san_juan

From where I usually put in, 10 minutes from home, Isla Verde in Carolina, there's 4-5 breaks to surf. Then, there's another put in, 10 minutes drive from this area, Ocean Park, with another 3-4 good breaks. These are mostly reef breaks, where at least a 1 kilometer offshore paddle is required. So, they're mostly uncrowded, since all sup'ers disperse and no proners go out there. These breaks are good even for OH days, if the wind/tide cooperates

There's a local favorite spot of mine, a rocky cay closer to shore, less exposed to wind, where the paddle out is half the distance (More crowded, including some sup-tolerant longboards) where in itself one can find 3 smaller breaks, lefts/rights and small wave connecting and playing around.

Be advised this is north shore and the outer reefs are unprotected from the trade winds. The closer to shore spot is more tolerant to winds. This all means daybreak sessions and the occasional return to shore upwind. Offshores are good but rare and sometimes too strong for the outer reefs.

Internet is good here, depending on your provider. And, safety wise, it's a big city, with all it's blessings and pitfalls. One needs to be always aware of this by exercising extra common sense safety measures.

This is, in a nutshell, my north shore perspective on sup surfing. Yes, there's other spots, where local proners rule, and if one doesn't know the pack leader, better not to show up there on sup.

Also, there's the famous Rincon/Aguadilla world class breaks. And lots of surfers there too, proners included.

Hope to have been of help. PM me if necessary,

Be well
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Thank you very much! :)

1) I prefer to live in small laid back towns or more rural areas than big cities so I don't think San Juan would suit me. Are there any nice small laid back towns on the north shore with uncrowded and consistent waves?

2) Are the prevailing winds on the north shore onshore?

3) What are the daily wind cycles like? For example, does it tend to be glassy in the morning, and then windy with an evening glass off, or something else?

4) Does the direction of the wind change with the seasons?

5) Are there any good kite surfing spots on the north shore with side-off easterly winds?

Thanks again.

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Thank you very much! :)

1) I prefer to live in small laid back towns or more rural areas than big cities so I don't think San Juan would suit me. Are there any nice small laid back towns on the north shore with uncrowded and consistent waves?

2) Are the prevailing winds on the north shore onshore?

3) What are the daily wind cycles like? For example, does it tend to be glassy in the morning, and then windy with an evening glass off, or something else?

4) Does the direction of the wind change with the seasons?

5) Are there any good kite surfing spots on the north shore with side-off easterly winds?

Thanks again.

There are small towns with great surfing spots nearby. Dorado, Vega Baja, Arecibo, to name a few, due west. Eastward, Rio Grande, Luquillo, Fajardo. Places that need to be explored, since they are not so popular. I have peers who know about these places.

The north shore is mostly side, side onshore winds, which usually wake up tame, build up during the day and ease up at night. We do get our share of offshores during certain moments during the year when weather systems change the trade wind pattern. In the winter/spring, we have some thermal wind current going offshore on days where high pressure systems are away. Windy seasons are mostly in the beginning of the year through the summer, and it gets more variable during autumn and winter, unless hurricanes or cold fronts bring bigger changes.

Kite surfing is very popular in the area around Ocean Park, close to Condado. Also, on the south coast, in Parguera. Other places with good wind and put ins could see kite surfers too. I windsurfed for almost 20 yrs in the coast between Ocean Park and Isla Verde. Interestingly, I sup surf the same breaks now...

Come down for a vacation, i'll show you around !
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'

MtnSUPSKI

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Anything along the south shore? I am looking at staying here or near here next Jan. http://www.caribeplaya.com/

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I have an opportunity at a quick trip to the Rincon/NW CR area with a friend who surfs. Pretty cheap trip for a few days later in November. How's the vibe for SUP there? I've been to CR, Tavarua, etc. but never PR for surf. I have kited there, but mostly in San Juan/Ocean Park.

Any suggestions?
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal