Author Topic: 10'00" Laird Hybrid Surfer  (Read 3700 times)

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
10'00" Laird Hybrid Surfer
« on: January 30, 2015, 04:31:09 PM »
I was looking for a tad bigger board and saw some of the videos and reviews on this board it looked like it was too much fun.  I decided to PM a few people  that had this board regardless of what size they had to try and ask a few more questions.  I am going to give a thank you to sdjb on here for hooking me up.  He was able to tell me about a shop that had the one I was specifically looking at on sale. I ended up with the board, a 10’00” hybrid surfer in the surtech type technology construction with the 5 fin options.

I received it the day before I had to go out on a job so I could not ride it for a while. The reason while it has taken me so long to write this.  When I finally had a chance to take it out it was like chest high and kinda choppy.  Being 3 inches narrower than my 8’6 it was tippy at first especially in the conditions I was using. But man, this takes off when it gets on a wave and turns amazingly well.  Not the greatest conditions for a first go but it looked like a keeper.

The second time I took it out was a good swell. I happened upon a spot in the afternoon with this board after surfing all morning on my Foote fish.  Found a nice overhead A framing beach break peak type wave with about 2 hours before dark.  First wave was a nice left maybe a foot overhead and this thing took off. I stayed high on the wave and when I got far enough out made my turn back to the curl. Board turned like it knew what I was thinking.  I was able to get back in the curl and cutback continuing left and off the lip with plenty of speed.  Yeah, it is a keeper.  Had lots more like that til dark.

I know people have been having fun with different fin configurations on these. So far for me I have just been riding this thing a quad with the stock fins and loving it.  I need to try it with a big single and see how it goes.  I am also waiting to try this on a smaller day. Hoping to try on a glassy like thigh to waist high day to see how it goes.

weight without fins

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 10'00" Laird Hybrid Surfer
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 01:04:48 PM »
Dude... that thing looks LEGIT! 

I was expecting a more pulled-in nose... but as is, it looks like you could step out there a bit if you wanted.

San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 02:19:32 PM »
Nice write-up and pictures... have fun with it!

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 09:50:54 PM »
Beautiful board! What's the latest?
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 10:37:23 AM »
Great looking board! Any further news on how it is working for you!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal