Author Topic: Latest, simplest tail handle  (Read 12861 times)

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Latest, simplest tail handle
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2015, 04:37:15 AM »
I surf in piddly waves compared to you pros.....but how on earth do you keep a hold of your board with a little hollow like that? I must be missing something clearly..what is the technique Pono?

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2015, 05:02:10 AM »
Note the Sup-Position Bump in the front of the pad. Maybe we should just call it a Ralph.

I've been called worse...Like It !
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2015, 08:34:08 AM »
Nothing to it, you push down a little while you're holding on. The pull is remarkably light because the wave energy goes back to front and lifts the nose. Even in big waves that fall right on you, the pull might be enough to pop the board loose (that's good) but the timing changes and your board isn't caught in the wave. Generally it's just bobbing next to you.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

socalgremmy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2015, 09:27:45 AM »
Here's something a bit simpler.....

12" braided nylon cord..............10 cents
Piece of leftover 3/4" pvc...........Free
Used bungee cord.....................Free
Inspiration from Pono Bill...........Priceless!!

Disclaimer: Has only been tested in waist-high waves. Works great and doesn't snap back on fingers.
I wont be surfing DOH anytime soon

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2015, 09:58:36 AM »
Here's something a bit simpler.....

12" braided nylon cord..............10 cents
Piece of leftover 3/4" pvc...........Free
Used bungee cord.....................Free
Inspiration from Pono Bill...........Priceless!!

Disclaimer: Has only been tested in waist-high waves. Works great and doesn't snap back on fingers.
I wont be surfing DOH anytime soon

socal, not to burst your bubble but there are some other lengthy threads about tail handles, some of which include designs similar to this one and how they are not recommended. I'm sure others will chip in but the idea is to not allow your fingers to wrap around so the handle can be released easily. Also, this design can twist on you and potentially trap your hand or fingers. Most of the guys that have been redesigning their tail handles have gone away from an actual handle to more of a ledge system. Not saying yours won't work, just don't want to see anyone getting hurt.

socalgremmy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2015, 10:09:45 AM »
Hadn't seen the other threads; I figured something similar had been tried, but works good in the small surf I'm used to....
The elastic gives room to let go if need be....

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2015, 10:30:41 AM »
Hadn't seen the other threads; I figured something similar had been tried, but works good in the small surf I'm used to....
The elastic gives room to let go if need be....

i'd be very careful, even in small surf.  and in small surf, you don't really need it anyway.

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2015, 12:31:38 PM »
socal, not to burst your bubble but there are some other lengthy threads about tail handles, some of which include designs similar to this one and how they are not recommended. I'm sure others will chip in but the idea is to not allow your fingers to wrap around so the handle can be released easily. Also, this design can twist on you and potentially trap your hand or fingers. Most of the guys that have been redesigning their tail handles have gone away from an actual handle to more of a ledge system. Not saying yours won't work, just don't want to see anyone getting hurt.

Yep, lots of talk about that and the safety of 2 anchor points to avoid twisting. I'd also worry about the board shooting back and cracking your hand with that design.
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2015, 02:32:55 PM »
I have had my board just ripped out of my hands in OH surf holding my 2 point tail handle. The first time I tried to hold on to it right in the impact zone, the board twisted so fast that it tweaked my wrist. I now just barely grip the tail handle, and let it go if it wants to. I could see that single strap grabbing and spinning tight around your wrist, or even braking some fingers as they tighten against the board.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 02:40:16 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2015, 02:37:40 PM »
Here is something to keep in mind about most elastics.  When stretched to the limit, the bungee thins-out and has great potential to slice through the rail and other things that get in the way.  This is why we have rail-savers.   

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2015, 04:54:43 PM »
You've already probably heard enough but just to be sure. Change that handle. Injury waiting to happen almost surely. It's when your being less than thoughtful in the small stuff that accidents happen. Broke my middle finger in small surf.

Here's the other tail handle thread. If you don't go the stomp pad route you want two anchor points, a short line so your hand can't get trapped between the line and board and a thicker handle so you don't wrap your hand fully around it. You'll see the evolution here.

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,25430.30.html
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 05:01:37 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

supthecreek

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2015, 06:24:06 PM »
Opposing view:
I'm staying against the grain here... Tail handles? Not me. I like my wrists, fingers, face etc.
If I'm holding onto the tail.... the fins are going to way too close to my face.... not gonna happen.

There is a time test method.... it's called a leash. I have surfed more than most, in every imaginable line-up on every size board. The leash, used thoughtfully, is a very good safety device. If I get nailed by a wave, it is usually last moment.... no time to slip off my board, find the tail handle and prepare for impact.

My approach has always been to be very aware of the area inside me. Paddling out or surfing, I create a safety zone, so my board will not be a threat to anyone else.

In time that the poop hits the fan, I am always diligent to create a safe zone for my board to travel.... sometime that means a death grip on my rail saver to keep the board close, but nothing will get me to use a tail handle.

Surfers have relied on the leash for 5 decades, they can't duck dive everything. Longboarders can't duck dive much at all.

While I applaud the sincere desire to find a better mousetrap.... my goal is always to know where my board is headed.... and get the hell away from it.
Most injuries I know of, come from one's own board.

Note to people that think they are in danger of being hit by someones uncontrolled board:
Go under water.... it's the safest place to be if a board is headed your direction.
If you get hit... shame on you. GO UNDER WATER. Dings happen.... injuries don't have to.

Be very aware of the people in the water around you... particularly inside of you.... paddle in a direction that will leave the shoreward path clear for your leashed board.

Paddling out is about a lot more than getting back into the line-up.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2015, 09:21:26 PM »
Lots of people have that view Creek. And none of them have tried one.

Not being willing to try something before you reject it is not a major flaw. I don't need to try cyanide. I'm not attracted to guys. There's two things I'm not trying before rejecting the concept (I doubt the gay community is going to be all that heartbroken).

But if you're willing to hang onto a leash saver sometimes (seriously dangerous) but not willing to TRY a tail handle then you are being silly. People said the same stuff about leashes. But it's not a religion, it's just a way to deal with a bigger board in the impact zone. Next summer, on a bigt day, swap board with Bob and go get worked while holding on. I guarantee some lights will go on. It's not what you think it will be like.

Incidentally, Bill Foote agrees with you completely. He calls them "suicide handles".  And no, he's never tried one either.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2015, 09:41:43 PM »

Ggggeeesssss STC that was well said!  A wealth of information in that post!  You stated a lot of the reasons I have not yet gone to the tail handle.

I also try and creat a "Safety zone" while paddling out when proners or swimmers are anywhere near by.  My goal is to not injure myself or anyone else out in the water.  Most of the time this takes x-tra effort on my part to stay away from the pack.  When I'm stuck in the "Impact zone" I intentionally paddle, knee paddle or prone paddle my board away from others so if I have to bail (I always have newer, thick, good waist leashes) my board can't hit anyone.  Paddle surfing accidents can always happen but being "Aware" of where other people are in the water around you at all times is key.

I might try one of these tail handles when all the bugs are worked out em.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2015, 10:50:55 PM »
Sorry, you killed your own argument my friend. The fact that you have grabbed the rail saver says it all. I do all of what you do. Be cautious of who is inside me, don't bail when others are around me, all that....but when shit happens I go for the handle. Remember how my middle finger looks now...that's what your rail saver will do and that was just chest high surf. Ask Strand if he wishes he had used a handle. Remember that his finger became fish food.

I've also never come close to getting hit by my fins when I have the handle because they are down and away from me and I have complete control of the board. Handles make being in the impact zone an exercise in patience rather than a beating. Just wait out the set and go. I actually think not having a handle is being unsafe to others regardless of how careful you might try and be. You're in the impact zone getting hammered and your board is flailing around at the end of 10' of leash. 50 or 60 yards away some kid is just getting into the water with his short board. You have no idea he's even there when your leash breaks and sends your board his way. Never happens if you have a handle.

All else being equal even the safety of your leash is improved. If you buy a new leash every 6 months regardless and the leash you are using is not getting stretched and strained because you have a handle the likelihood of the leash ever breaking is much less.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 11:06:38 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard