Author Topic: Dealing with Shoulder injury and rotator cuff exercises  (Read 34790 times)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with Shoulder injury and rotator cuff exercises
« Reply #105 on: April 29, 2017, 11:01:10 AM »
Yes, I meant 12 sessions...

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 29, 2017, 11:08:34 AM »
"He told me he'd rather have me wait until Aug 1st or when the pain in my right shoulder joint goes completely away."

Double stitched is very secure and should hold while your tear mends.

My son broke his fibula and a long plate with 9 screws was put in.  He wants to pull it out now as he wants to ski without pain.  You can feel the plate and screw heads. After the consult and x-ray is was clear 2 screws sheared completely and were no longer connected.  Anyways just go to show metal screws are not that strong and that it is good to do follow ups.  Surgeon will pull everything out in the summer as bone is fused together.

Because your tear was not at the bone and you still had 10% attached - you are very lucky.  Would follow up with another visit if possible to make sure everything is healed up ok.  But no pain and full range of motion is a def a good sign.  Sounds your rehab is on track and you are being a good patient.  ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 05, 2017, 02:22:49 PM »
Thought I would give an update on how I'm doing.

It has now been a little over 2 months, from Mar 29th, since I had my medical procedure done. All is going well. I do my PT exercises 3 times a week (Monday, Wednesday, Friday) in one hour sessions for each day.

I have a little soreness in the shoulder joint but the last time I saw my surgeon (Apr 11th), he told me the soreness will get less and less and it should be all gone in 4 months time. The soreness is not a constant soreness though. Feels more like the soreness from a slight bruise now. It does let me know it is there when I sometimes move my arm in a different direction than I normally do like reaching way behind me.

BTW, my surgeon's nurse called me last Friday. Just a general check up over the phone consultation and no charge for it either. She asked how my right shoulder was doing and I told her the same thing above in the previous paragraph.

Since she had my "goal sheets" in front of her, she knew I was not going to be able to surf the waves this year with my sup, but she wanted to make sure I hadn't done anything "stupid" like paddling on flat water with my sup when I'm not supposed to be paddling my sup until Sept 1st. I told her I was being a good boy and will wait for Sept 1st when I'm allowed to take my sup out for a flat water paddle (per my surgeon's advice).

She also told me when my shoulder has no more soreness in it (which should be at the 4 month mark), the shoulder still isn't healed. In other words, "don't go from 50 mph to 200 mph the next day with my right shoulder" if you get my drift. She reminded me a severe rotator cuff tear (90%) like I had takes about 12 months to "fully" heal.

I ended the conversation by telling the nurse, I've got the Zoner site to keep me company while I recuperate.  ;)

Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 05, 2017, 05:41:10 PM »
I'm glad to hear you're improving.  Not so glad that you have to wait until SEPTEMBER to get back on the water!

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 06, 2017, 08:40:30 AM »
One of the last pieces of advice I got from my orthopedic surgeon was; "Concerning your right shoulder, I don't want to see you (and your right shoulder) on my operating table for the rest of 2017. If I do, I'll know you went out with your board to do a little flat water paddling BEFORE Sept 1st".

Did my surgeon put a little fear into me? Absolutely! And I can see his point of view. If I take out my sup and injure my right shoulder where it needs to be surgically repaired a second time, I go easily miss all of the summer sup season of 2018 as well. The key word for me is, "patience".
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal