Author Topic: Dealing with Shoulder injury and rotator cuff exercises  (Read 34795 times)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with Shoulder injury and rotator cuff exercises
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2017, 10:28:45 AM »
I picked up my prescription for Lodine and something called a Dose Pack. I take the Lodine first for a week and then the Doe Pack after I finish the Lodine.

Actually I had it reversed. I have to take the Dose Pack first, then take the Lodine.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2017, 02:00:42 PM »

Oh, I also think recovery is aided by lots of sex (I tell my wife that), Guinness (I tell my friends that), and pizza/movie nights (I tell my kids that...though they don't need much convincing).

SGPM therapy. A well understood beneficial approach. Just be careful how and where you combine the elements.  Guinness is fine with pizza but sex at the movies...
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2017, 04:34:47 AM »
The imaging center called at 5:30pm Thursday night and told me my MRI on my right shoulder is scheduled for today (3-3-17), Friday at 7:00pm in the evening and to be there by 6:30pm to fill out out the paperwork before the procedure.

The Dose Pack worked pretty good and I'm now on Lodine (500 mg tablet) twice a day. But, every now and then when I move my arm behind me horizontally and even when I raise my arm over my head, I get an achy feeling, then a slight burning sensation in my shoulder joint followed by a "pins and needles" feeling running from my shoulder down my arm to the base of my hand. The feeling only lasts for a few seconds, but the burning achy feeling lasts for about 10 minutes and then goes away........until next time.

I had this feeling before I started taking the Dose Pack and this feeling has persisted since I've been taking Lodine for the last 8 days. The x-ray of the shoulder has shown a small bone spur in the AC joint and my orthopedic surgeon thinks the small bone spur has torn my rotator cuff and this is why I'm having the MRI done.

I'm hoping the rotator isn't torn and the bone spur is instead rubbing against a tendon thereby inflaming the tendon in the joint. My surgeon will look at the results of the MRI next week and then his office will call me and give me some options.
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2017, 06:00:38 AM »
Good luck NW!

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2017, 06:58:04 AM »
Hope things go well TankerBoy!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2017, 07:00:43 PM »
Well I'm back home. They also did a cervical scan so the cervical scan plus the shoulder scan took 30 minutes total. The results will be known next week and I'm hoping my guess is right and my surgeon's is wrong.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2017, 01:27:24 AM »
Well I'm back home. They also did a cervical scan so the cervical scan plus the shoulder scan took 30 minutes total. The results will be known next week and I'm hoping my guess is right and my surgeon's is wrong.
Good luck Nightwing! I am hoping your guess is right too! Having had right shoulder pains this last 6 months, I'm following your story closely.
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2017, 05:23:42 AM »
I dislocated and tore the cuff at 56 after a fall from height.
They definitely wanted to operate.

I figured that's 6 weeks of rehab minimum, blew off the surgery, and put my effort at the rehab....But I DID it.

stretching, light weights, constant ROM, and eventually swimming
What really helped tho was a good myofascial release massage person who broke the last of the scar down

it was touch and go for about 5 months but i am quite happy...have to stay on it, along with the rest of me...that was 2 years ago...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 05:25:27 AM by outcast »
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2017, 10:21:00 AM »
I'm hoping my guess is right because if it is a small bone spur rubbing the ligament, the spur will have to be removed. Healing time wise, I'll heal faster with a spur removal than if the rotator has to be repaired.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2017, 02:35:22 PM »
Good luck for your shoulder.

I’m here [paddling] because of a shoulder injury. I took up paddling to rebuild strength and mobility in my shoulder following a bad accident.

I smashed my shoulder into 17 pieces bailing off a bolting horse in Africa. Was planing for a shoulder roll but landed in a kind of pit instead. Whoops. Can’t remember how many ribs I broke too. 8 I think. Was flat out on my back in africa for a while. [long story]

It took about 6 months before I could raise my right arm enough to hold a car steering wheel. Even just 1/2 way up the steering wheel. Could barely shift gears. About a year before I could lift my arm up but i seemed to get blocked at only 90% of range. Thought I’d never get that back and kind of got used to it.

So I took up paddling (2007) as a low impact way to strengthen my shoulders. I was careful to do it right. So I never had stress issues. Learned mostly by watching the best guys carefully. Took my first lesson only a couple of years ago (with a top 5 racer).

Anyway. The good news is my shoulders are really good now and I have 100% mobility. Paddling has been great. Hope it can help for your condition too.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2017, 04:28:54 PM »
My surgeon's PA called me just after 5pm with the results of my MRI. I lost my bet with my surgeon. My rotator cuff has a one centimeter length tear in it. The PA said he will discuss my MRI results with my orthopedic surgeon tomorrow and he will call me somewhere between 1pm and 5pm and let me know what my options are.

The only option I'm interested in is having the surgery to repair the tear and this is what my comments will be to my surgeon when I see him next and this is what I told the PA to relay my comments to my surgeon. 

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2017, 04:42:14 PM »
My advice Night Wing, would be to listen first, then decide.  Who knows, you might have some options that have not been discussed before. 

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2017, 07:19:03 PM »
Since I'm not fond of metric measurements, I had to get on my computer to see what centimeters is in the equivalent to in inches. One (1) centimeter is equal to 0.393701 of an inch. In other words, it's over a third of an inch. Or is it almost four tenths of an inch. Whatever, that is quite a tear.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2017, 07:54:45 PM »
The OPA called me late this afternoon and confirmed I will be having major right shoulder surgery on March 29th. After going over my my MRI with a fine tooth comb, the tear is three quarters through my rotator.

I have to have all my blood work, EKG, chest x-ray and any other tests done before I see my OS on March 23rd where he will explain to me what will be done, how it will be done and whatever else the surgeon finds in that shoulder that needs repairing.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2017, 10:46:42 PM »
the tear comes from a bone spur?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal