Author Topic: Yoga for Back Pain / Strength  (Read 7320 times)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Yoga for Back Pain / Strength
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2017, 09:11:01 AM »
If starting DL -> only lift what you can with perfect proper form.  If not you can cause a lot of damage to your back very easily and quickly.  Major damage.  But once you build up some strength -> that lift is key to building a wickedly strong lower back perfect to complement SUP.  As well as everyday activities and lifting chores.  ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2017, 11:06:00 AM »
If starting DL -> only lift what you can with perfect proper form.  If not you can cause a lot of damage to your back very easily and quickly.  Major damage.  But once you build up some strength -> that lift is key to building a wickedly strong lower back perfect to complement SUP.  As well as everyday activities and lifting chores.  ;)

That's a good point, Eagle. I started out really light... just propped an empty bar up on a couple yoga blocks while I figured out the movement. Then went with a pair of 25 lb plates --> 35 lb plates --> 45 lb plates.  From there, each time I felt very comfortable at a certain weight with good form, I'd add 5 lbs the next session. If I struggled to maintain form, I'd stick to the same weight next time, or even back off a little if form was really crappy. Last thing I wanted do was throw out my back by lifting too much with poor form. I was able to make steady progress doing this plus squats and presses 3x a week over the winter.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2017, 11:44:36 AM »
Excellent progress Board Stiff.  :)

Yeah what I found is that if you do not use it -> you lose it.  And approaching 60?!? it is imperative to keep up my muscle mass.  And even build on that when possible.  Right now my legs are leaning out huge with 3x BW partial squats.  Also do full ATG as well and have noticed major gains in strength OTW.  SUP is getting easier and easier to handle rough conditions vs before.  My legs would give out before -> whereas now not so much.

But bench and squats and all body and core are all fantastic for SUP.  The vid I posted recently of the EDT paddlers in the gym is spot on.  A few of those guys have successfully transitioned to the elite levels of SUP with their work ethic and skill.  As noted before at my age -> balance and sarcopenia are my main concerns.  So have been pushing and forcing my CNS to adapt to a narrower board and heavier weights the past while.  My DEXA scans have helped to accurately confirm my actual fat and muscle levels and bone density.  Finally at this point -> maintaining and not getting injured are my primary objectives.  So no more major risky adventures on the water or on the slopes or at the track.  Haha.  But still gotta have fun and risk tho.  Just not as much as before.  Gettin old. ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal