Author Topic: What does your SUP carrying vehicle look like...?  (Read 673985 times)

Paul Jensen

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • hollowsurfboards.com
    • Email
Re: What does your SUP carrying vehicle look like...?
« Reply #1335 on: March 28, 2017, 07:22:26 AM »
Very cool, ready for the Zombie Apocalypse. What the aluminum box on the rear?

The aluminum box is either the outdoor kitchen or pantry... The inside of that rear door has a similar set-up... Matching options...

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: March 28, 2017, 07:28:51 AM »
And the boards go where?

I see, you've got pull out steps on the rear passenger side.

Very cool, it looks like you started with a 4 door?

It is at the core, a 4 door Rubicon...It came out of the Earthroamer factory in Colorado... One of thirteen produced... Earthroamer bet on Jeep going diesel, but that didn't happen so they abandoned the project...

That was a bit of a let down from Jeep.  I had a 2008 WK with the 3.0 Mercedes diesel, great motor.   

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #1337 on: March 28, 2017, 07:49:49 AM »
I am looking forward to the 4 door Wrangler pickup later this year.

supnorte

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP Norte
    • Email
« Reply #1338 on: March 28, 2017, 08:49:38 AM »
I can take up to 6 boards on my roof top and fill the inside with 10 or more inflatables (I can also carry half a dozen small SUPs on the inside)

supnorte

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP Norte
    • Email
« Reply #1339 on: March 28, 2017, 08:51:32 AM »
And my car also meets all the legal requirements to transport my SIC Bullet 17'4 FAST  ;)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: March 28, 2017, 08:57:30 AM »
Damn, I just looked at the Earthroamer site and saw what the are doing to my new truck--a 2017 Ford F350. So little time, so many projects. That looks like silly fun. Nice to see the reliance on battery/inverter and solar power/engine alternator charging instead of a generator. Before this double vision problem put a temporary halt (I hope) to my car racing hobby, I was planning to outfit Nero--my car hauler/living quarters Airstream with 10KWH worth of home built powerwall and a roof full of solar panels. I'm tired of running generators at the track to power the AC and my tools, etc.. That's on hold, but now I'm looking at my truck thinking "hmmm, lightweight camper, a couple of Tesla power modules and a bodacious inverter, winch, brutal bumper and skid plate, some cool racks..."

So thanks a whole hell of a lot Paul. Just what I need--another project.

Nice ride and nice boards, SUPNorte. You might want to add a nose strap to that Bullet. No point in stressing the mounts for the rack. And take a close look at how the rack gets screwed to the roof. They might have added hard points, but they might not.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 08:59:58 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #1341 on: March 28, 2017, 09:08:49 AM »
Audi's upcoming electric SUV may be good for SUP but, man would it be cool to see a pickup https://www.topgear.com/car-news/future-tech/audi-will-launch-300-mile-fully-electric-suv-2018

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: March 28, 2017, 10:02:01 AM »
Absolutely. I hated to buy a new Diesel truck. Right now an electric truck would have limited towing/weight capacity. I'd love to have one anyway. I'd like to outfit my car hauler airstream with 100KWH or so of batteries under the floor and plug that into the car. Park it next to the shop when I'm not using it and I'd have a huge powerwall to run the shop, either charge off-peak or from solar.

Airstream should team up with Tesla and do this. Even the roof and underfloor area of a Bambi would be a sufficient powerwall to run a house. Then when you travel you charge your truck and your airstream at superchargers. Probably get at least 1.5 times the range. That's just a wild-ass guess, but my 33' Airstream car hauler only costs me 1-2 mpg even though it weighs 11,000 pounds fully loaded (with the race car, spares, tools, full water tanks, and all the living stuff in the trailer).

The easiest way to make electric cars common is to drastically increase their utility. Can't do any of this stuff with gas powered cars.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 10:12:34 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #1343 on: March 28, 2017, 12:23:46 PM »
Yup.  I would love a full sized truck but I would go for a small a small pickup if that is what comes first.  All of the (guesswork) renderings of Tesla's promised pickup are pretty small.  I had the new garage pre-wired for an electric vehicle.  The guys who did it (Sheppard) brought up you and Dianne :)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: March 28, 2017, 12:52:23 PM »
Diane's Tesla has a full-current charger in the garage. She was lucky in the location of our electrical service--our garage is a separate structure, but the utility drop is on it's back wall. The 100 amp 240V breaker for the charger looks big enough to service a house. She gets a full charge from nearly empty in a little over three hours (85KWH).

I expect a minivan will precede the pickup truck--the plans are for the minivan to be built on the Model X platform. If they don't do something stupid with the doors it might be a useful surf vehicle.

The pickup and a commercial panel truck are supposed to be close behind. From what I hear, the model 3 ramp up is going better than expected. I heard the Model S assembly line was much more difficult and troublesome by comparison. There's a benefit to doing something the third time.  They're edging up on 200K cars sold. I question whether they will ever be a profitable company in my lifetime, but I don't think that matters to a horizontal company.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 01:07:08 PM by PonoBill »

SupSimcoe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SimcoeSup
    • Email
« Reply #1345 on: March 28, 2017, 08:48:05 PM »
This is mine with a Thule SUP Taxi
SUP Lake Simcoe
Clearwood VLZ 14*23 hollow wood- self-built
Starboard 2021 Sprint 14*19.75
Kenalu Mana 82
Quickblade UV 82 Carbon
SUP Reviews  http://simcoesup.blogspot.ca/

SG50SUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • SUPmission
« Reply #1346 on: April 01, 2017, 06:37:08 PM »
Just did a 7 hr drive from Sylt to Netherlands with 3 new race boards. Instead of just using the 250kg / 550lb tie-down straps I also added front and rear anchors for everyone's safety while driving through Germany's autobahn. Works a charm and it stayed rock solid all 500 miles. Green energy driving, Europe's EV charges now almost everywhere. And Dutch solar rapid charging station rocks!

SUPmission 🤙🏽
SIC RS 14, SIC X-14 Pro Lite, FX-14 Pro, X-12'6 Pro
BlackProject EPIC 95, Tiger Pro v2.0, Maliko Pro Race
Quickblade Trifecta 86, BlackProject HYDRO 83
Vaaká Cadence × Suunto Spartan Ultra × SUPSKIN × RESTUBE

PaddleSpot

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • PaddleSpot.net
    • Email
« Reply #1347 on: April 23, 2017, 12:39:44 AM »
 ;D

Olivier Drut
PaddleSpot.net  - Find your next SUP spot

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1348 on: April 23, 2017, 05:31:16 PM »
 ;D

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: April 25, 2017, 07:01:07 PM »
awd
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal