Author Topic: My new Naish Hokua 7'2  (Read 19688 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: My new Naish Hokua 7'2
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2015, 07:37:44 PM »
I hope so.  We'll see.  I'm hopeful, but also a little nervous.  Hoping I made a good choice and depending on Warren to not let me make a lame board.  He says it's going to rip. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2015, 07:42:21 PM »
Conclusion on the Naish Hokua, 7'3

This board absolutely shreds, but I am getting a little bummed with riding it, to be honest.  I've gotten to the point where I can ride it pretty well, catch waves, only falling over a little, but it is so much freaking work to stay on top of it and my wave count has gone way down now that I'm riding it.   When I catch a wave, I'm in heaven, the thing surfs better than any board I have ever ridden.  But I have to work so hard to get on a wave, and I miss a lot of waves that I have always been able to catch before.  I'm sure it's because I am a little too heavy for it.  The suggested max rider weight is 175 and I'm more like 183.  An advanced wave rider who weighs 165 would be perfect for this board.   So I'm going to put it away for a month or so, and reevaluate again after that.

Zoo, I can relate to your comments above.  I started riding mine at 180-185lbs (dry).  I'm still 182/183 with a wet full suit and paddle.  I pick nicer days to take out the 7'3 and split it's use with my 8'5 (115L).  If the paddle out looks tough and/or the water is a bit bumpy, or well over head waves, I tend to seriously consider the 8'5 instead.  The width and volume are actually pretty good, but the shortness really hinders paddling speed badly.  If you're on a fast/short beach break (what the board was designed for) it rips pretty well as you're dropping in late anyway and it fits the wave shape so well.  For longer slower or bigger waves that require paddle speed, it's pretty humbling.  I always give up waves to others and flat out just miss more with it.  BUT, like you said, the experience on the waves you do catch is awesome!  It's a board I'll always have in my quiver, it has it's place.  Hold onto it for a while and let your balance improve with it.  I went through the same love/hate relationship with mine and have learned to work with it.

If you ever do decide to sell, I'd pick it up from you just to have a spare!  I like it that much.

Good luck with the new board!

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2015, 07:49:38 PM »
Thanks, Shark.  You da man on the Hokua and we are about the same weight, so I take your words seriously.  A lot will depend on how well the 7'4 Jammer performs.  SUPSports is making it for me now.  If it performs almost as well as the Hokua, I might sell the Hokua.  If the Jammer is nowhere near the performance, I'll probably keep the Hokua.  I should have the Jammer in the next few weeks.  I'll let you know. 

« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 07:54:57 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal