Author Topic: My just released book  (Read 63344 times)

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: My just released book
« Reply #210 on: February 24, 2017, 09:36:13 AM »

I vacillated on the Harrison Ford pick. I think it was that he can play a stern person and that he's a pilot.
Slight hijack here~
Harrison Ford was a pilot, at least that's what I think is going to happen.  My dad was a private pilot, used to fly with him for years as his unlicensed co-pilot, I got to know all the ins and outs of what it took to get and retain a pilot's license, as well as learning how to fly.  If his license doesn't get outright jerked, he will at least have to take a physical on his mind and body, and if he passes, then he will still have to spend some time in the air with an instructor.  I read that he even told the tower that he was flying his helicopter before asking why an air liner was below him, two huge red flags.  Hopefully the FAA won't give him the celebrity leniency treatment.
I think Calista would rather him take up SUP'ing anyway.
It takes a quiver to do that.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #211 on: February 24, 2017, 10:00:29 AM »

I vacillated on the Harrison Ford pick. I think it was that he can play a stern person and that he's a pilot.
Slight hijack here~
Harrison Ford was a pilot, at least that's what I think is going to happen.  My dad was a private pilot, used to fly with him for years as his unlicensed co-pilot, I got to know all the ins and outs of what it took to get and retain a pilot's license, as well as learning how to fly.  If his license doesn't get outright jerked, he will at least have to take a physical on his mind and body, and if he passes, then he will still have to spend some time in the air with an instructor.  I read that he even told the tower that he was flying his helicopter before asking why an air liner was below him, two huge red flags.  Hopefully the FAA won't give him the celebrity leniency treatment.
I think Calista would rather him take up SUP'ing anyway.
I read about that. It's one those "got to take the keys away from dad" moments. I have flown in lots of private planes with friends that are pilots when I live in the mountains. My old ski school director /boss flew for the mail service on and off the hill. He'd ask if any of us wanted to fly to Vegas or Palm Springs almost weekly. He had a tail dragger / high wing Helio Courier. That thing was a gut buster. After a lifetime of flying and in his later 60's he finally nosed plane on a landing into Santa Monica airport. Upon landing, he bounced in hard and must have bumped his brakes. Slammed the nose into the runway, and busted the prop off. He walked away and they suspended his license during the investigation. He eventually did get his license back, but he didn't fly much after that. It was probably the beginning some age related neurological issues he was starting to have.   
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 24, 2017, 11:14:00 AM »
Bill's book reminds me of the great Santini, and the movie is probably much more famous than the book.

The Great Santini opens with the going away party for "Santini" where the jarheads are out of control, drunk and rowdy. When the squids complain, Santini hides a can of soup in his shirt and pretends to puke. The other jarheads produce spoons and start eating it.

Bill's book is more focused on his brother. I think Mike's rebellion against his father is the initiating action and his action at the airshow, where he transitions from brother wanting to scrape of his pain-in-the-ass little brother to substitute father figure happens. I think those elements need to be present and shown very early in the beginning of any screen treatment.

And of course the treatment needs to include surfing very early--it's the uniting element, the shared interest between brothers, and the vehicle for escape from a repressive family life.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 24, 2017, 11:56:03 AM »
With luck, this will be headmount some day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hApP4_2wtiU

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #214 on: May 10, 2017, 06:45:44 PM »
Bill, I just finished your book in three sittings, which if you knew how slow I read, is pretty unusual. Thanks for sharing your story wth us.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal