Author Topic: Cheap SUP Wheels  (Read 9498 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cheap SUP Wheels
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2015, 07:19:08 PM »
A couple more shots of cheapo cartage solutions...

Cool ideas, I used a foldable dolly like that for awhile too.  Works fine. 

By the way, your Jalama windsurfing photos where mind boggling to me.  Very intense conditions. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2015, 07:26:25 PM »
I used that same cart in Waikiki a few years back. Lucky for me the condo we rented had it in the closet.
Sure came in handy schlepping the big 11 foot Laird around.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2015, 07:34:14 PM »
I used that same cart in Waikiki a few years back. Lucky for me the condo we rented had it in the closet.
Sure came in handy schlepping the big 11 foot Laird around.

SUPer kewlio, Esteban...gr8 shot!
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Deadbait

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2015, 07:35:47 PM »
I made my own SUP cart last year using wheels from Harbor Freight and PVC for somewhere between $20-$30. 

My recommendation would be to buy this cart for $32.00. 

The only thing I could find was $75-$150 for SUP specific carts.  But at $32 it looks like a must buy.  This one looks very storage friendly for the SUV, where mine is big and bulky.

I might consider adding this to my collection. 

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2015, 07:52:36 PM »
A couple more shots of cheapo cartage solutions...

Cool ideas, I used a foldable dolly like that for awhile too.  Works fine. 

By the way, your Jalama windsurfing photos where mind boggling to me.  Very intense conditions.

Yeah, the J is something to behold when it's going off...keeps me alive...there were guys sh*tting their pants this day...didn't leave the cliff...let alone rig up...
I remember a day that was glassy 15' @ 25 seconds on the buoys...typhoon swell...
I was one of only 3 guys that made it out...(pure luck...;-)...over 100 guys watching on the cliffs...very memorable...I'll try and locate a pic or two...

BTW, carts don't work at the J...& I could post lots of other cart solutions I've used...as I have always looked to go to the spots less traveled...;-)
Wheels have to be one of the greatest inventions of mankind...;-)
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2015, 10:35:57 AM »
Most of the wheels presented work great on tarmac or hard pack sand.  I often have to walk up to a 1/4mi to get free of civilians in the shorebreak or away from proners who always occupy the closest spots next to the No Surf zone.  Our sand is soft and loose and treking down the dune is doable - the return is Boot Camp.  Add two boards, some kit, eats ..X2 if my wife comes, and I need something that works.  I have tried all sorts of wheels and next to Wheeleze balloon tire (at like $80ea!) the sorts of wheels that come with ride-on toys for kids are the best alternative. Up to a couple of years ago they were hard to source but an outfit sells them on Ebay. 

I am waiting for confirmation about whether these are the 8 x 14" wheels... they also have 7 x 11".  Given a pair is 1/2 the price of one Wheeleze ..and free shipping. These are a bargain.  One negative - this brand without a rubber center tread are noisy on tarmac. It sound like you are grinding wallnut shells in a 55gal drum.

You need to make a frame with axle but that's the easy part.  I have been fiddling with these beach carts since hauling multiple kites and boards to the same beach ..with the same 'proximity' issues.. for about 14yrs.  This year I'm going to make a 4-wheel cart - more bearing surface/easier to pull. 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2015, 11:03:33 AM »
My recommendation would be to buy this cart for $32.00. 
Deadbait,
I took your (and Mike's) recommendation and bought one. I can see using it about 10 times a year, so at a rate of $3.60 per trip, I should be well into the bargain range by year two.  If you've lengthened your reach during a walk down at Trails, you'll know that you'd gladly pay double that for an assist half way to or from the waves.

It's compact size and ease of assembly / dis-assembly was the selling point for me.  Well, that and the price.  ;)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2015, 01:50:15 PM »
Agree, I was surprised at the really decent quality for such a cheap price.  I have a feeling that they are some sort of close-out and will be gone forever when they run out of them. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2015, 01:44:46 PM »
Update: The wheels arrived in 2 days to So Cal, they were everything I expected.  I think I'll try out a few 2 board configurations for ease of transport before I get to the beach and realize I need one more strap/rope/handle/bungee.  The longest board on bottom is pretty easy but maybe reversing the fins to the other end of the wheels on the second board would give me an automatic handle with the leash ropes.  Previously implemented brilliant ideas scrutinized at this window... while you wait!  ;D

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2015, 02:33:58 PM »
Cool, glad you like it.  Note:  I got the padding loose, slid it up a little and then re-glued into the best place to set a SUP on.  It comes positioned a little to the side for accommodating kayaks. but it's easy to move. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal