Author Topic: Last few things to pick up before I can start racing...  (Read 2807 times)

JMarkel9

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Last few things to pick up before I can start racing...
« on: March 02, 2015, 06:45:31 AM »
Last few things to pick up before I can start racing…

Leash… I have a 12’6” race board.  I know I want a full coiled leash with a calf cuff.  Not really looking for recommendations on brand.  I would just like some input on leash length.  All the leash threads I have found talk about surf sup, not race leash length… All the coiled ones I’ve seen are either 9’ or 10’.  Just wondering if those are long enough.  Basically which coiled length do you use for racing?

PFD… Looking for something minimal light. Defiantly a waist/belt pack.  I don’t really need anything with additional storage pockets or anything like that.  I've heard stearns makes a pretty minimal one... Recommendations?
Thanks!!!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 07:18:40 AM by JMarkel9 »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Last few things to pick up before I can start racing...
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 07:08:22 AM »
Short enough so it doesn't drag in the water...9 and 10' are both too long for a 12-6. Beltpack PFD, you'll forget its on. MTI makes a real nice one.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 08:57:17 AM »
Connect your leash to your beltpack and it will drag even less. I removed the cuff (easy to do, most connect with a cross-screw that you can remove with a fin wrench) and tied a safety carabiner to the swivel with spectra line. Keep the leash short enough to be snug--you won't need to run to the nose.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 08:59:54 AM »
I wore a Stearns for a long time.  I frequently got back in the truck still wearing it.  Ops.
I stopped wearing a pfd. because I paddle a race board and the local Harbor Patrol doesn't even stop a mother with a small child on board and no pfds.

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 09:41:49 AM »
Look at the adjustable FCS race leashes. I use them on both 12'6 & 14' boards. I prefer the calf over the ankle one. Stearns Sospenders are probably the most compact PFDs.

http://youtu.be/u6JEhEQ6jtQ

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 09:48:44 AM »
... I removed the cuff (easy to do, most connect with a cross-screw that you can remove with a fin wrench) and tied a safety carabiner to the swivel with spectra line.

Hey PB, why not just use the Velcro cuff directly on the belt?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 10:18:54 AM »
Certainly you can, I'm not that concerned about race leash integrity, except for Maliko races and channel crossings, and even then there's usually water patrol--though they occasionally miss someone in the water. My setup is really for far offshore solo conditions, but it's handy and easy to do.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 11:29:40 AM »
As far as PFD, I can't even tell you the brand.  Cheapest belt I could find.  Not sure you need a leash--I wear mine religiously except for when I'm in a race--but of course I'm not doing any major ordeals. If it's a beach start/finish you won't want to bother with it and even for water starts I'd rather not have it on--unless it was longer with few participants or conditions were sketchy.  Obviously, if the organizers required it, I'd wear it, but I've never been in one that did.  In the races I do and back in the middle of the pack where I find myself, if you did fall off and get separated from your board there's plenty of people around you to assist.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal