Author Topic: Kiteboarding questions. ..  (Read 5669 times)

Lakeshore1

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Kiteboarding questions. ..
« on: December 22, 2014, 06:43:27 PM »
 Hey everyone, so i used to be an avid sail boarder, but i got out of it many years ago because i was sick of spending too much time on the beach, waiting for wind. Fast forward to 2012... i tried, and became hooked on SUP. I stand up paddle as much as i can, maybe 3-5 times a week. But i am looking into trying something new...

About me... 46 years old, 6'4" tall and about 225lbs.
I am fairly athletic.

I want to purchase a kite board set up for this coming spring, summer and fall.

What would be recommended for me? I won't be getting to crazy, just some small wave jumping eventually and going for some good distance sailing.

Input is appreciated.

Thanks!

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kiteboarding questions. ..
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 08:37:37 PM »
Get a small 2m trainer kite and get really good at flying that. Fly it in light, strong, steady, and gusty winds. All of those. Spend many hours doing this. Then take lessons. Don't pay a kite instructor to teach you how to fly a trainer kite. Lessons from a reputable kite school is highly advised. But learning from a very safe and trusted friend can also be done. I know people who have had horrible kite instructors. I wouldn't suggest buying gear until after your lessons. But start with a smallish kite like a 9m and a large twin tip board(150cm + size). Buy a good used bridled kite no more than 3 years old and do your homework on the make and model first. Kiteboarding is dangerous but very fun.

SUPladomi

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 10:07:56 PM »
I want to purchase a kite board set up for this coming spring, summer and fall.
You definitely want to start on the trainer kite as previously suggested. Also do you live in an area where you can snowkite? It is much easier to learn many of the basics on snow.
What would be recommended for me? I won't be getting to crazy, just some small wave jumping eventually and going for some good distance sailing.
This is very dependent on the predominant conditions where you will kite. You are also a pretty big guy. If you were doing a lot of waiting for wind before maybe you don't live where it is that windy. It might make sense to get a big kite. In any case you will probably need 2 kites. On the board side, since you are a big guy, I would highly recommend an Ocean Rodeo Mako King. You can ride it as a twin tip or mutant (strapped or strapless). The board is super stable, works pretty well in lighter winds, is super smooth in stronger winds, and carves really nice.
Lessons from a reputable kite school is highly advised.
Follow this advice. A good operation is totally worth it and will save you a ton of time and effort. Also travel to a location conducive to learning if you can. Shallow water and open beaches i.e. Hatteras.
Kiteboarding is dangerous but very fun.
I'm reiterating this point especially since you are a former windsurfer. You probably were psyched on those days over 25. However with kiting, especially in the beginning, you must respect the power of the kite even as a big guy. Be very conservative. When stuff goes wrong kiting, it can go really bad really fast.

Tons of info at kiteforum.com

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 05:12:48 AM »
Make a kite friend.

Never kite alone, or without a kiter more experienced than you, with you.

Kiters than haven't been there, and done it all before, are the dangerous ones to themselves and everyone around them.

Kiting has become so easy today, yet can still become very dangerous, very quickly.

Lakeshore1

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 04:32:56 PM »
 Thanks for the replies and advice. I kinda figured kite boarding may be a bit more dangerous than windsurfing, but not by much. I must be wrong about that part.
There is a pretty big group of guys about 20 miles north of me that Kite. There's also a very good store that does lessons, training and so on. They also sell quite a bit of stuff too. www.mackiteboarding.com
i used to do a lot of my windsurfing alone, so i was figuring I'd be doing some kiting alone.
I actually have a field in our development that is about 50 acres and some others that are bigger, very close by. I have never seen kiting in the winter... :)
How much wind does it take to get going along at a good clip? I used to have 5.0, 5.7, 6.0 and 6.6 sq m. sails for my 9'6" custom sailboard. It took about a steady 12 or 14 mph to get really planing good. Is a training kite something i should buy? Maybe i should just jump right into snow kiting? :)

SUPladomi

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 10:20:18 PM »
I say start snowkiting this winter. It is much easier than on water and you can do it in a lot less wind. Even though there are many things that make kiting in water more dificult, you will learn many skills that on snow that will crossover and give you a big headstart on water. Your local shop does snowkiting lessons and camps.

http://www.mackiteboarding.com/snowlessons.htm

Then you can get some gear and you'll be psyched to use those local fields by your house. And again be extra cautious and conservative with the wind you go out in. Wear a helmet and pads (knee, elbow, butt). If the snow is good and the wind is relatively clean, you will have a blast.

Since you have never seen snowkiting these should get you psyched. This first one would probably be similar kind of conditions where you are.
http://www.kiteforum.tv/index.php?option=com_videos&task=show&code=Funky_snowkite__New_Hampshire_2013&Itemid=30
This is the real rad stuff.
http://www.kiteforum.tv/index.php?option=com_videos&task=show&code=Into_the_wild&Itemid=30
And many more.
http://www.kiteforum.tv/list/snowkite.html

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 12:52:07 AM »
I've been kiting 13 years, 55 this year.  Windsufed,  surfed, sailed racing boats in younger years. Be careful, get even just a 1 my training kite,  learn to fly it blind,  loop it. It will teach you the power even a small kite can generate.  take those lessons.
I was super skeptical of snow kiting ( grew up in so cal,  living in Sweden for 30 years now). But I went to Italy to a big spot and saw 10 year old on 4 m kites and skis at same time guys doing 60km/hr on giant foils, and guys doing mega high handle passes on snowboards.  It was really easy.  But key to that ease and safety is using a really, really small kite. A big kite on snow and gusty conditions can be super dangerous. 
Think like this: it is a flying sport.  Use same mindfulness as you would if you were flying a small plane.
Now, don't get turned off by all of us warning you. The fact that you are researching shows  you have the right mindset. I've hurt myself more riding mtb,  and crashed on my commuter bike ride by running over a cat, messing up my body worse than any kiting incident.  a few years back I was into kite loops, and that is dangerous. So I've given it up and went over to strapless surfboards. 

Your shop will lead you to the right gear. You'll need 2-3 kites unless you are blessed with regular diurnal thermic winds. Get a twin tip with a rounded outline and soft flex. Pretty long for you. I've ridden a OR Mako many years. It's a different animal,  but really works better at what you want to do than other more traditional boards.

Good luck,  have fun. You will get hooked...

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2014, 09:42:05 AM »
OK, I'll offer the counterpoint (Bah humbug, Scrooge..)

You got out of wsurfing bc of the time-suck and gear-suck factor.  (SUP has none of this.  Grab the paddle and be on the water in <5 minutes.)

Kiting will just take you back to time-suck/gear-suck.  Purchasing multiple kites, lines, harnesses.  Trying to figure out where to launch, in what conditions.  Making kiting buddies to help you launch, not going out alone, etc etc. 

You have to decide if you want a new addiction and new bunch of guys to run with, or if you just want a new adjunct activity.  ("I've hurt myself worse crashing on my bike".. not the best argument I've heard for taking up a new activity  ;D)

On the flipside, why not try sup-sailing?  Its windsurfing without the hassle factor.  Slow, but mellow and fun.  You already have the skills and all you need to scrounge up is one sail/rig.
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

SUPladomi

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2014, 10:01:15 AM »
You already have the skills and all you need to scrounge up is one sail/rig.
Sup sailing is great too, however he might not have a windsup board, and if his stuff is old, he will most likely need to buy a skinny mast.

Also if the surf is nonexistent or crap, he can kite if it's windy which makes it a great complimentary sport.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 10:04:32 AM by SUPladomi »

Lakeshore1

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 05:13:03 PM »
I am going to cool my jets on the kite boarding for a bit. Hopefully take some lessons in the spring/summer. And see where it goes.

What  Spookini said kind of reminded me of why i got out of wind powered sports. Perhaps a Windsup would be a better investment.  I can paddle surf it, sail it and take a friend along too.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
post Re: Jimmy Lewis Super Frank
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:17:06 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal