Author Topic: Hi guys  (Read 4694 times)

Andy Pon

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Hi guys
« on: December 15, 2014, 06:22:08 AM »
I have been out a few times in Barnegat Bay on a friends board and decided to get my own since I like it so much.

I'm going with the allwave from Jim so I can hit the surf when the water warms up. I have a 3 mil I use for spearfishing, but that's probably not warm enough.

Maybe I will see you guys out there soon.

Andy

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Hi guys
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 07:39:33 AM »
Andy, the 3mm might be a little light for surfing.  I'm using a 4/3 with hood plus 5mm boots and 3mm gloves right now in the surf but step down to a non-hooded 3/2 for flat water (add watch-cap and light jacket for colder days).

Andy Pon

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 09:46:30 AM »
Thanks Bean.  You're good in the 4/3?  I thought I would have to go with at least a 5mm suit.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 09:55:00 AM »
i have a nice 4/3 (o'neill psycho 3), and it's not sufficient late dec/jan.

i tend not to get cold as fast as many, but still need more thean a 4/3 late dec through march round these parts.

thus my post on the xmas pres thread--pytrotech 5.5/4 in coming.

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 11:35:28 AM »
Thanks Bean.  You're good in the 4/3?  I thought I would have to go with at least a 5mm suit.

While the ocean temp. is still in the mid 40's (Monmouth County) my 4/3 will work pretty well on days that the air temp is above freezing. 

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 12:25:24 PM »
Andy
Like Bean said 3/2 is to thin after October
I'm real happy in a 4/3 on all but the most brutal winter days the trick IMHO is what you put under your suit
Lycra adds little warmth but improves mobility
UnderArmoir adds nice to warmth and mobility (Cold Gear)
Fleece (Polypropylene) max warmth minimal improved mobility

But the REAL issue when in comes to wetsuits is CUT Since most wetsuits are made for the surf market the arms are cut I the "down" position for hydrodynamics We don't swimm all the time like prone surfers but our arms are always UP So our wetsuits need to be cut so we are not "fighting" the suit in the paddle stroke
This specific SUP suits are available and good for is we have the best SUP suit company right here in NJ (they are familiar with jersey winters the company is SUPreme a division of Henderson sport group
To make a long story short I still offer the ZONER deal on these very reasonable suits give me a call to discuss

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 01:21:05 PM »
Jim--tell them to change the logo--wearing SUP emblazened on the chest is nbd, but all equal something not SUP specific, or not in huge print on chest would be better.

i have the 321mm--nice suit, great price for what it is--very light/comfortable but not particularly warm---much prefer my patagonia 3/2--so now you know my quiver
sup 321, psycho 3 4/3; ptrotech (on the way) 5.5/4. havent noticed any biigie re up or down arms--but my surf suits are good. new, flex neo, which are a dream compared to my old rubber which i have replaced over the last 3 yrs.

gloves/mitts tho. surf gloves seem designed for prone paddling, not for grabbing a paddle--i have found theyare sewn to be pretty flat, as opposed to skiing/climbing gloves ive seen which are in a grab shap when neutral. looked at some nrs gloves, think they would provide neutral grab, but
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

supthecreek

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 01:29:51 PM »
Hi Andy!
You are in with the right crew.... Those guys gave you the right info. Great time to be paddling!

Have fun out there.

johnysmoke

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 09:30:46 AM »
I use the NRS Maverick kayaking and occasionally sup surfing, works well unless it's really freezing cold, then I go for something really thick but feels like holding a tennis ball. Only downside of the maverick is they are a bit delicate, once the outer rubber coating is comprised they start to let more cold water in. I'll get a few seasons out of them if I'm careful. http://www.nrs.com/product/2454/nrs-maverick-gloves-with-hydrocuff
SIC F14
Bark Eliminator
C4 Beachboy

Andy Pon

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 01:59:22 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.  Looks like I will have to check out something like the 4/3.  My 3mm wetsuit is open cell and there is no way I can wear anything under.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 01:59:27 PM »
only 2mm neo

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 02:01:25 PM »
i try to be warmer than i need when standing--if you end up spending some decent time in the water due to broken leash or other unanticipated issue, you want to be warm.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

standuped

• Sunset Status
  • Zapotocky family values
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 02:47:46 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.  Looks like I will have to check out something like the 4/3.  My 3mm wetsuit is open cell and there is no way I can wear anything under.

I highly recommend a new O'Neil with Techno-butter.  It doesn't absorb water as much as the old neoprene does, and is also more wind proof.  Not all the models have it.  They are super stretchy and you can get buy with a thinner suit.  I use a 3/2 most of the time in PNW water ~50 degrees. If it gets colder a hooded 3/4.  I use the Phsyco I mostly
Florida gear.. Bic 12'x31"~207L.. JP Fusion 10'8"x34"~190L..Angulo custom 9'6"x33"~160L.. SIC Fish 9'5"x29.6"~145L..Epic gear elite paddle~7"x75"..Oregon gear..JP Fusion#2..Foote Triton 10'4"x34"~174L.. Surftec Generator 10'6"x32.3"~167L..Kialoa Pipes 6 3/8"x75"...Me 6'1" 220 lbs circa 1959

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2014, 07:12:22 PM »
Those NRS Mavericks are my go to gloves. I always thought they were called Titaniums...doh! I get a new pair every year because they do tend to wear out but the 2mm is surprisingly warm and it's easy to add wool or fleece to make them warmer on the real cold days. I haven't tried anything that has as good a feel on the paddle....they actually improve handling not make it feel like you can't move your hands.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal