Author Topic: Golfer's elbow... is my paddle stroke wrong?  (Read 23689 times)

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Golfer's elbow... is my paddle stroke wrong?
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2016, 08:54:24 AM »
Ok so which color flex bar

PDL:

No idea about the flex bars, but..
Maybe you oughta lay off the "shake weights" for awhile??  :o
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2017, 09:45:05 AM »
I thought I’d revive this older thread in case anyone is still having elbow pain. I have been struggling with golfers’ elbow for a couple of years now. I’ve tried about everything there is to try and while my elbows are not as bad as they were previously, the issue is still present. I am currently going to both physio and regular massage and while both are helpful, I still haven’t found a cure.

I have tried and tried to figure out what is causing the issue, and then just the other day I was able to isolate it down to being my top hand that seems to give me the problem. My left elbow is much worse than my right, and my left elbow seems to experience more on the water symptoms when I’m paddling on my right side. Seems odd I know that it has taken me this long to isolate the issue, but it has been very illusive.

Then shortly after I came to the above conclusion, I found a posting on Seabreeze that I found very informative. I have seen lots and lots of posts about proper form being the issue. Most of the posts however refer to the fact that you shouldn’t hold the paddle tightly. You need to use a very loose grip. That’s great advice, but in my case, I do use a loose grip and it wasn’t making any difference. Then I found “Goochi’s” post on Seabreeze (https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/SUP/SUP-Elbow-pain-remedy?page=2) that addresses the very issue of the top hand on the paddle. I haven’t had a chance to get out and try this yet, and it seems to be a pretty subtle adjustment, but it also seems to address the very thing that I’m experiencing. So I’m not sure yet whether or not this will work for me, but thought I’d share it in case there are others out there like me who are still searching for a solution.

Hope this is of some use to others.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2017, 09:57:30 AM »
I thought I’d revive this older thread in case anyone is still having elbow pain. I have been struggling with golfers’ elbow for a couple of years now. I’ve tried about everything there is to try and while my elbows are not as bad as they were previously, the issue is still present. I am currently going to both physio and regular massage and while both are helpful, I still haven’t found a cure.

I have tried and tried to figure out what is causing the issue, and then just the other day I was able to isolate it down to being my top hand that seems to give me the problem. My left elbow is much worse than my right, and my left elbow seems to experience more on the water symptoms when I’m paddling on my right side. Seems odd I know that it has taken me this long to isolate the issue, but it has been very illusive.

Then shortly after I came to the above conclusion, I found a posting on Seabreeze that I found very informative. I have seen lots and lots of posts about proper form being the issue. Most of the posts however refer to the fact that you shouldn’t hold the paddle tightly. You need to use a very loose grip. That’s great advice, but in my case, I do use a loose grip and it wasn’t making any difference. Then I found “Goochi’s” post on Seabreeze (https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/SUP/SUP-Elbow-pain-remedy?page=2) that addresses the very issue of the top hand on the paddle. I haven’t had a chance to get out and try this yet, and it seems to be a pretty subtle adjustment, but it also seems to address the very thing that I’m experiencing. So I’m not sure yet whether or not this will work for me, but thought I’d share it in case there are others out there like me who are still searching for a solution.

Hope this is of some use to others.

Interesting. The last time I sup surfed was November 2016. I paddled for 4 hours. My right elbow and forearm have hurt ever since. This never happened prior with recreation, surf or race paddling. I play hockey 3-4 times per week and it kills after every game. Im gonna give surfing a go again when the warmer weather decides to arrive but if it gets worse Im gonna scratch it all together unfortunately. I miss it.
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal