Author Topic: Can't decide - Laird or Lopez for a surf SUP in Waikiki  (Read 19753 times)

marvinhecht

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Can't decide - Laird or Lopez for a surf SUP in Waikiki
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2014, 05:24:35 PM »
The Frankenboard probably SHOULD go into the bin, or sold .. but this weekend Suftech is letting me demo the 2 boards in question... I am off to Waikiki right now! Trying the Lopez purple one first.
10"6 x 29" Gerry Lopez Big Darlin Surftech SUP
GL1 and GL2 quads
Hoe Nalu Carbon Paddle (Surfing)
QuickBlade 86 Trifeca Carbon Paddle (Flatwater)

bts

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2014, 05:45:24 PM »
Are they close-out pricing those boards?

I could always use another crowd control/ lineup dominator.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2014, 03:31:30 PM »
Howzit brah, Lopez vs. Laird?
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

marvinhecht

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2014, 05:00:30 AM »
results

1) surfed the purple gerry lopez 10"6x29 saturday for 3 hours in Waikiki
fins: gl1 quads

Really hard work balancing but a good abs workout. Out at populars surf break  I fell a lot and had a hard time in bumpy conditions. Had to rethink everything and  forget I was on a SUP and  imagine I was
on a regular surfboard -- and really concentrate. Harder to get on a wave. But twice ... I nailed it and zoomed down the wave and into the trough. Faster than I've ever gone before on any board. This board is awesome once in the pocket and turning on the wave face.. That's where this board is 'home'. Kind of like that part in Star Wars where Luke finally makes it into the trough in his x-wing!  Odd experience for me -- I am used to boards that just glide into the wave but the turn as easily as  a 16-wheeler truck on a race track!

2) SUP-surfed the Surftech 10"6x30 Pearson Arrow Laird sunday for 3 hours in Waikiki:
laird thruster 2+1 with center being 10.5" and all the way up near the side bites for looseness.

Fell a lot also..but able to think a little less about balance overall. Very fun board. Slightly better glide when doing regular paddling. The wide "garbage pail" type nose helped to get on the wave and maneuver onto the face, or do last left or right adjustments-- to make "lemonade out of lemons" (i.e. catch a wave that really  is a dog). Was able to stay balanced and walk forwards -- to ride various sections--and once made it nearly to shore. Felt a bit more like I was sliding "on" the wave (or lip or foam) than "in" the wave. Caught way more waves overall. Felt the acceleration once really well but did not seem to have the same breakneck speed as with the Lopez.

Overall - the Laird was more comfortable and "fun";  the Lopez was more challenging but seemed to really have potential for me to grow into it over time. If I could get used to the Lopez I think I would eventually lean to carve and ride a tube someday. The Laird might allow me to learn things like the crossover and/or the helicopter sooner and gets me on the wave easier - but may not force me to truly surf & carve as soon.

Note: next weekend I am testing the laird again but the 11'0 version-- it has a quad setup option.

For now... I am really conflicted each board has strengths and weaknesses....no clear hands-down winner!!!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 05:15:06 AM by marvinhecht »
GL1 and GL2 quads

firesurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2014, 08:19:40 AM »
I picked up an 11' Laird surftech used, and for me it was a tank. I'm quite a bit lighter than you though. I just remember thinking how slow it was. It should perform better with a heavier rider in bigger surf.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2014, 08:41:31 AM »
"nothing like a demo"

firesurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2014, 08:45:06 AM »
Forgot to mention, I was out this morning on the 8'11 Lopez Little Darlin which I also picked up used. Surf conditions where maybe waist high and clean with light wind.
I really like this board.  At first I got in with the JP 8'8' WB. The 32" width just felt like too much and too slow in these weak glassy conditions.
I grabbed the Lopez and had a fun session. With it's narrower width it has good glide and is easy to get in a wave. Also for me it holds really well on hard cut backs which I love to do.  I've haven't ridden the Big Darlin, but the shapes look similar. Looks like they have the same square tail. It also handles late takeoffs without pearling the nose.
I've got a 10' Laird and have to stay way back on the drops or the nose will stick.

firesurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2014, 09:44:46 AM »
as an afterthought one more thing...   as you mentioned the Laird has a big nose. Great for noseriding, but plays hell getting down the face in heavy offshores. Generally when it's winding I leave the Laird in the van.

marvinhecht

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2014, 02:32:13 AM »

It is funny you mentioned the nose of the laird as being a (sometimes) impediment in the surf. I was trying to get on this wave and the drop was a little heavy and the round nose went down and went SMACK and made a huge sound like someone belly floppying - and that ended that run.

I guess a more pointed nose like the Lopez would have sliced through that and I might have continued (if I could have kept my balance). But I did find that I wish the Lopez had a little more nose rocker because it did have a tendency to pearl sometimes. Guess I may need to get back more. (That really is an issue for me - I still have to remind myself to step back to the tail once on the wave- more often than not).

Note: Even Laird Hamilton now has a model with a pointier nose, just not with surftech any longer:

-the model with the same Pearson-Arrow shape as for Surftech:
http://www.lairdstandup.com/Surfer.html

-newer, more "surf" oriented models with a pointier nose:
http://www.lairdstandup.com/Surfer-Hybrid.html
http://www.lairdstandup.com/Fire-Fish.html
GL1 and GL2 quads

firesurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2014, 07:16:55 AM »
IMO just different designs for different conditions. Certain days I love my Laird board.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2014, 08:07:22 AM »
-newer, more "surf" oriented models with a pointier nose:
I encourage you to read some of Supthecreek's reviews of both performance oriented shorter boards, and his search for a performance longboard.  He surfs both styles and surfs them hard, but one will perform similar to a shorter prone board with nearly all the time spent on the tail, and one is targeting his longboard style (cross stepping, nose rides, and all the other things Creek does while he's surfing -intentionally or otherwise).  He does a rather clever job of presenting his take, some pictures and a bunch of video, and it all works to tell a story of how it works for him.

I say this because that laird board is a really refined SUP for the longboard style, and for the right rider it will be the go to board in nearly all conditions. The exact same thing could be said about the Lopez.  That's where the demo comes in, and all our advice goes out the window.  Your experience with the board in your specific conditions are far more valuable than ours on a specific board.  I've read glowing reviews here of boards I've tried and completely failed on. Based on my experiences (and mine alone), I have to take discussions about boards below 9 foot and thinner than 31 inches with bags of salt.  I know of excellent surfers who surf very small boards and are as stable as pyramids on them.

Ultimately you'll buy a board and surf it to death.  You'll likely buy another before that death, and probably have a couple dozen chances to ride other shapes.  Take everyone of those chances.  Your brain is refining what works on every demo, and that idea of the perfect board is becoming clearer with each session.  Finding things that work for you is a big part of the fun of SUP surfing, and the process is never fully completed as long as you have the strength to drag the board to the water and hop on top.  ;)

marvinhecht

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2014, 02:26:24 AM »
What a nice reply - thanks! I'll look at Supthecreek's reviews.

I should mention that to build up the amount of credit I've built up to get one of these 2 boards, I've been renting all sorts of boards from them for nearly 2 years. The ones I liked a lot were:
GL 11"2 x 30 light blue Big Darling (rented many times)
GL 11"2 x 32 orange Big Darling (rented the most - maybe 8 times)
            This board allows (still does) me to ride in both small and huge wave
           conditions in Waikiki and look good - I can lose my balance, recover and
          keep going. My 12-year old son swears by this one also.

Laird 11" - I remember it was great at doing the 360" in flat water (on other boards I could not do it). it was fun but different than the lopez's.

Al merick 9.7 - the pits. Just fell 90% of the time. Saw another guy my size struggling too.

GL lil' darling- can't even stand on it without falling off - in flat water. neither can my son.

Jamie Mitchel -10" - same as the lil darling.

GL yellow 10" x 34" surf music - i remember turning on a wave by accident felt great.
This was at publics.

But I felt like i was paddling a turtle!  My wife liked it though..she stood up on it fine
in somewhat rough waikiki waters.

GL 9" x 34" red real stubby board - like the GL yellow - but worse. Way to wide.

Bark Competitor / dominator etc -  fast, sleek, good in flatwater

Laird/Bark 14" - ironically great for beginners because it is 30" wide and so stable.
loved it.

Gerry 14" DW board - seemed skinny and too high (but now I know this would be perfect for DW).

Below - pic of me before returning the 2 boards. I am 220 lbs right now (ouch) and 5.9"
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 02:40:49 AM by marvinhecht »
GL1 and GL2 quads

marvinhecht

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2014, 04:49:33 PM »

Administrator: I just realized this thread should probably go under Gear Talk. If you see this, please move it. Thanks!

Still looking for thoughts / comments.

It sounds like traditional "longboard" style sups are good for riding the nose. I've never ridden the nose, not sure if I am really interested in that. Performance surf sups (non-nose-riding) seem to all have a pointy nose and look more like a big version of a shortboard. If that is so, then I probably should be getting the Gerry Lopez purple one. Because I am bigger, this smallest version of the Big Darling is for me like the Little Darling is for most other people....

GL1 and GL2 quads

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2014, 09:31:50 PM »
I have good news and bad news.
first the good: you're closer than ever to deciding which board is right for you.
now the bad: You're gonna get sand in your Porsche.  ;)

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2014, 10:21:35 PM »
+1 slatchjim - that beautiful Porsche is going to change! Have been following this thread with some interest. Marvin - your last comment was interesting. I thought you actually stated you liked the Lopez mo bettah! ESPECIALLY if noseriding and longboarding style really not important! Dollars to donuts no matter which way you go you will have more than one sooner than you think and the Porsche WILL be sandy!

Aloha,
mrbig
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal