Author Topic: Flu shot  (Read 6556 times)

WingSuit

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Flu shot
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2014, 05:54:08 PM »
I have to get it every year for work, but I wouldn't get it otherwise. I have seen a bunch of people get guillian barre syndrome months after getting the flu shot. One year I got the shot and 2-3 days later developed a 103 fever- went to a walk in clinic, and they diagnosed me with the flu, and I had the full on flu for about 5 days. Last year I got it and shortly after got bronchitis that messed me up for about 2 months.

It takes 2 weeks for the influenza vaccine to become effective. Guillian Barre Syndrome is triggered by a variety of viral infections.  You are 17 times more likely to get GBS from the flu, than from the flu shot.  I am 60 and i have only known 1 person who had GBS.  But i know a bunch of people who skipped the flu shot and got sick.  And most of them made others sick.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2014, 06:08:55 PM »
I got my flu shot two days ago. It always makes me a little goofy, runny and usually a headache for a day.  My headache day is now over. I will probably feel a bit under the weather for two more days or so.

I don't mind trading a few days of being under the weather for two weeks of being sick and disabled.

My wife is one of those lucky people who very seldom gets any kind of cold or flu, whereas I am a virus magnet and seem to get some kind of cold every couple of months or so, and at least one or two severe ones a year.   She has opted for four years not to take the flu shot, and hasn't had anything.  The flu shot bothers her more than her risk of the flu.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

markthomas

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2014, 07:15:56 PM »
No

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2014, 05:00:34 PM »
Yes. I've been getting it about 80% of the time since I was in the Marine Corps 30 years ago. I have never been sick from it. One of the few years I forgot to get it I actually got the flu. I was absolutely floored, in bed for 6 days. The flu is no joke.
Bunch of old shit

supthecreek

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2014, 05:40:34 PM »
I can't remember the last time I had a cold or flu.... or a flu shot.
Who knows... maybe this is the year I get one or the other.

But every year, around this time, I think about getting a flu shot.

If anyone knows what I'm going to do... please tell me, so I can get it over with.

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2014, 07:15:44 PM »
Get it!!!!

I am 53 and last year I went in for my annual physical at 8am, when i came out at 10am, the line for flu shots was out the door, so I said hell I just get it later.  The very next week I got the flu and it put me out for a week.  I have never had the flu affect me for that long before.  I learned my lesson, and already have mine for this year.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal